Thinking of buying a small car | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of buying a small car

Great suggestions everyone. Any thoughts on Suzuki Aerio? Its still japanese, low in insurance rating and cheaper than other japanese small cars.
I've always liked the looks of the Suzuki cars. They even had a pick up for one year which I think was a rebranded Nissan. My sister had a Suzuki from new for 4 years. Iirc no major issues. Imo I would be comcerned with the longevity. And unless it was a killer deal, I would go with some of the previous options instead.
But really what do I know? I'm waiting for Brian P to sell me gis Fiat when he is done with it.

@Crankcall Re: cruze, cool even -- to clarify -- there is a market for the young guns and fixing them up like Civics....I know nothing about being cool. I wear old man wrap around sunglasses and rock a fanny pack.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

He meant only in purple.
Purple makes everything better lol

@Javafan -- they had to lower his 400cc bike so he could reach the ground......in heels.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Great suggestions everyone. Any thoughts on Suzuki Aerio? Its still japanese, low in insurance rating and cheaper than other japanese small cars.

have you checked around for a Toyota Matrix? they were popular and plentiful. pretty sure some came in manual.

far better option than the suzuki, saturn, cruze

Quick check tells me that the only ones for sale on Kijiji with manuals are all abused, and parts are more expensive that for other Japanese cars of that vintage (https://www.rockauto.com/repairindex/)

They're kinda neat, I would consider one if my current commuter blew up, but I am willing and equipped to do repairs on it myself.

Quick check suggests that a Toyota Matrix below $5000 will be 11 years old or more. At that point ... Meh, is this really better than a Chevy less than half the age and with much lower mileage, I'm thinking not. Mind you, a Suzuki Aerio will be even older than that (and ought to be a lot cheaper). Parts availability may be of some concern. Another quick check suggests <$1000 Aerios are out there. Don't pay more than a couple grand for one and that's assuming it has a safety inspection and emission test and is in good condition.

Really old, really cheap cars change the equation a bit. The challenge is to find one that can be certified and will pass emissions AND be cheap enough that it only has to last a few months for you to have gotten your money's worth out of it. Beggars can't be choosers. Chevy Cavaliers are awful cars, but the old saw is that GM cars will run badly for longer than anything else will run at all, and repair parts are cheap and plentiful, so if you can find one for a couple hundred bucks that will pass inspection (unlikely) and emissions (???) and you don't demand modern conveniences (or crash safety) ...

If you wanted a car for the least amount of possible... then ok. But for <$5000 I would not consider any small Chevy other than a Cruze.

And some Toyotas, I would take them at any mileage over a Chevy. 1NZ-FE will run forever, 1ZZ-FE I would bet would last pretty long as well but I don't actually know that for sure

1NZ-FE = Echo/Yaris (1.5 litre), a special version was used in earlier Priuses, 1ZZ-FE = Corolla (1.8 litre).

In most cases, the engine isn't what sends a car to the junk pile unless it has a timing belt and nobody changed it (that's the most common failure mode for VW TDI engines) OR if nobody ever changed the oil. Almost always the rest of the car falls apart around the engine.

Almost bought a used Matrix that came in cheap on trade, had a slipping clutch. Did my research, seemed to be the Achilles heel of that car.

Instead went with a first generation Fit. These cars are bulletproof for reliability, get good gas mileage, but have a gerbil size fuel tank with range less than 500kms. Awesome interior size with the "magic seats". Nice light clutch pedal, as someone mentioned a short first gear, but that's what you get with a small HP car. The 2nd gen Fit's with the 6 speed weren't any better for fuel economy than a first gen 5 speed.

Sold the Fit a year later for double the money i paid for it. I still have sellers remorse.

Aerio is more than 10 years old. Those things should be almost free, and probably not worth it. My folks shopped for one waaaay back when and basically described it as a tin can, got a Civic instead.

Did you mean the SX4? It could be nice if optioned out right. My sis had one, but sold it due to poor fuel consumption (hers was AWD auto).

Last edited:
7db732c7687dd284c6bac414c8c0488a.jpg
09e2e938b197675a986181e39ac9b48d.jpg

Bought this 97 Tercel last summer for my daughter. Cost about $2000 certified with etest etc.

It’s old but mint condition. Not crazy about the automatic.

Has A/C and old school pop out sun roof.

Biggest issue will be rust. Made it through last winter ok but, the rocker panels are starting to bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford fiesta SE

Especially one with a 3 cylinder turbo engine

More power and torque then the 4 cylinder version but still better fuel economy

3 cylinder version comes only in manual transmission

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Have you considered a small pick up? Something along the lines of a S-10/Sonoma, Colorado, Ranger/B series, Tacoma?
Insurance would likely be cheaper than a car, should still be decent on gas & can haul stuff around in the bed (such as your bike perhaps).

7db732c7687dd284c6bac414c8c0488a.jpg
09e2e938b197675a986181e39ac9b48d.jpg

Bought this 97 Tercel last summer for my daughter. Cost about $2000 certified with etest etc.

It’s old but mint condition. Not crazy about the automatic.

Has A/C and old school pop out sun roof.

Biggest issue will be rust. Made it through last winter ok but, the rocker panels are starting to bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

something like this^ but I would want a standard w any 4 cylinder...but then again, for 2 large who cares.

Ranger = Mazda = Junk

Tacoma is good
very high resale proves it

Tacoma = major frame rust issues. Only good thing is that Toyota has been buying trucks back and/or installing new frames.

I'm thinking if the original poster wanted a truck, they would have asked about a truck.

Back
Top Bottom