Motorcycle theft? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle theft?

I've heard stories of V-Storm owners actually leaving the keys in the ignition in hopes to scam the insurance companies but none were ever stolen. Just saying...

I've heard stories of V-Storm owners actually leaving the keys in the ignition in hopes to scam the insurance companies but none were ever stolen. Just saying...
Haha I have a 2016 Vstrom and it's all the motorcycle I need. Comfy and fun.

It's Toronto, the rule of thumb is, if it's not nailed down it's gone.
But the guys are right, your bike is low on the hit list, theft of it would likely be the result of easy opportunity, just don't make it easy for them.

This is the absolute truth, despite what people may think.

I was one of the MANY guys who thought "my bike is locked, it wont happen to me".

My GSXR got stolen at 2:30pm in bright daylight. Security cameras caught it all on tape. 3 guys cutting off my lock and throwing it in the back of a GMC Safari van.

So trust me guys, if it's not locked GOOD expect it to be stolen. In your house garage it may be okay though.

I also have to say the disc locks suck. I've also drove away with those on and it will totally destroy your front rotors...AND possibly even damage your forks. Not recommended.

I couldn't find a good anti-theft option, so I made my own. I created my own GPS tracking device using special software on a phone that uses 3g as well as glonass and gps. I created an app that utilizes the tilt sensors of the phone to send me push notifications both over 3g and data. In addition to that, I have created a geofence so if my bike leaves that I get real time updates and can even remotely record audio and stuff. Sure, anything can be stolen, but I'm confident I'll have some time to chase down my bike. It also allows my bike to tap into my smart home and control the lights, and even popup notifications on my home theatre in case I'm watching a movie :D

Overkill...maybe. But if I had of had this before, they likely wouldn't have got far with my bike since I came home around the same time the van was leaving :/ (this setup though comes at a cost, I have to pay for a sim card and data plan - $15/month)

Last edited:
A skateboard under the front tire is an easy way to move a bike with a disc lock.

Theft insurance is a good idea if you're worried about your bike.

Motorcycles need to be able to defend themselves from a would be thief, something like a Skunk does :violent3:close enough.

Hi,

New motorcycle owner here.
I am wondering how much motorcycle theft is occurring in Toronto and if I should worry? I have a Suzuki 650 touring bike and always park in the garage of my house. Occasionally ride to work and park on the street downtown aswell.
Does anyone use disc locks or something similar?

Thanks

Get an alarm padlock or disc lock. You can hide the padlock anywhere on the bike and it will go off if the bike is moved. The disc lock with an alarm will do the same. Anyone can throw a bike into a truck and a lock itself won't do much, but an alarm will draw attention these guys don't like.

Motorcycles need to be able to defend themselves from a would be thief, something like a Skunk does :violent3:close enough.

Found it! already exists:
SL_Transparent600.png

he who cuts the lock gets sprayed.

Last edited:
That's a pretty awesome idea. The dogs will be able to sniff out the perp if he leaves the vicinity, too.

That's a pretty awesome idea. The dogs will be able to sniff out the perp if he leaves the vicinity, too.

I saw this when it launched. It's very easy to go around it, thieves just wrap a wet towel/bag around and then cut, thus the spray/smell doesn't affect anything.

... unless you paint it an innocent-looking gloss black so that they don't know in advance what it is.

Back
Top Bottom