Motorcycle theft? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle theft?

Max527

Hi,

New motorcycle owner here.
I am wondering how much motorcycle theft is occurring in Toronto and if I should worry? I have a Suzuki 650 touring bike and always park in the garage of my house. Occasionally ride to work and park on the street downtown aswell.
Does anyone use disc locks or something similar?
Thanks

Sport bikes are the ones typically getting snagged.

If you park in a garage at home I wouldn't worry too much. Downtown I'd park with other bikes, skip the disc lock. If they want it they'll just throw it in a van and take off.

Does anyone use disc locks or something similar?
I used to use disc locks, even with the hi viz cord tethered to the handlebar so I would see that it was on.
Except I still forgot it was there three times, riding off into the sunset, only to get a rude awakening that the lock was still on.
If I had a nice sport bike, I might get an alarm or GPS tracker or something, but a disc lock won't do much other can keep annoying people from trying to move my bike downtown so they can park their car or bike closer to mine.

V stroms are less likely to be stolen, but if your not living in an apartment/condo and parking in an underground parking lot, you got nothing to worry about

If they want your bike they will probably take it. The goal is to make your bike more of a hassle to get than your neighbours so they move on to an easier target. Just depends on what you think is adequate theft deterrent. Just the steering lock? Disc lock? Alarm? GPS Tracker? 24/7 Security team?

It's Toronto, the rule of thumb is, if it's not nailed down it's gone.
But the guys are right, your bike is low on the hit list, theft of it would likely be the result of easy opportunity, just don't make it easy for them.

If you are worried you can always pick up a Gorilla or Scorpio alarm system. They work really well. Someone in my underground used to have a Gorilla Alarm and if I even touched his bike it'd quickly go off....they are LOUD too!

:I considered irradiating my front forks so that if anybody steals em they will be traceable.

If they want it, 3 guys and a van can have it gone in 2 minutes. Bike is insured for full amount I paid, if it's gone, I file a claim and get a new one. That being said, I don't park it in dark alleys hoping it'll get yanked, but such is life. Always someone out there who's willing to make your day lousy.

Here's a new one: My friend's girl had her slipon stolen off her Ninja 300 while parked downtown. It was just some random noname brand too

Here's a new one: My friend's girl had her slipon stolen off her Ninja 300 while parked downtown. It was just some random noname brand too

Ouch! Didn't think of that, I just got a new exhaust and park Dtown, hopefully the muffler putty I put on has made it tight enough to stay put.

Chain a Rottweiler to it - that'd make anyone think twice.

In canada thats reckless endangerment

In florida, you can chain a gator to your bike ;)

It's Toronto, the rule of thumb is, if it's not nailed down it's gone. But the guys are right, your bike is low on the hit list, theft of it would likely be the result of easy opportunity, just don't make it easy for them.
Personally, I'd be more worried about stuff disappearing out your way, but that's just been my experience.

Crime is low here, too many places to hide a body.

If you are worried you can always pick up a Gorilla or Scorpio alarm system. They work really well. Someone in my underground used to have a Gorilla Alarm and if I even touched his bike it'd quickly go off....they are LOUD too!

I would recommend a $900 "etching" at a car dealership, I don't think they will mind etching your bike. If you don't know what etching is Google "etching, car dealership".

It's a vstrom for goodness sake. Sleep easy.
The number of times I have parked it downtown with keys left in the ignition is impressive. I bought mine because no one would steal it.

Used to live in a downtown condo. All the sport bikes got stolen inside of a few years, but no one touched my KLR, or VStrom.

Back
Top Bottom