Action camera on your helmet legal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Action camera on your helmet legal?

whats great about helmet cam is the dampening and also seeing where you're looking so if you see a driver doing something, you can record it. mounting on the bike doesnt allow that and on the chest limits it. but then, helmet cam is not "legal" it's a matter of seeing whether or not the cop wants to pinch you (kinda like how they can or can not pinch you for speeding)

^All that and you got the added bonus of looking like a teletubby

Has anyone tried sticking it to a visor? I am thinking over the hinge so it doesn't affect visibility. That way you haven't touched the smooth outer shell of the helmet.

^All that and you got the added bonus of looking like a teletubby
A disfigured teletubby, i use mine on the side of my helmet, i hate the top position.

Because of the view, because of the shake or because it pulls you around in the wind?
i dont know why but i find the top mount to look stupid. on motorcycles. on ski/snowboarders. on cyclists.

maybe it's also cause i've got Sony action cam envy (used to have Contour envy but that was just a phase)

Prop it up like a predator shoulder canon.
Probably would work better there anyway, anybody ever try it?

Prop it up like a predator shoulder canon.
Probably would work better there anyway, anybody ever try it?

It might work depending on what kind of bike you’re riding, on a cruiser or sport touring you’re sitting more upright, but on a SS it will probably be pointing down. My solution for the moment is using a chin mount on the helmet

This. Too bad Contour went under... I wonder if GoPro had something to do with their quick bankruptcy. I still use my Contour Roams. The cylindrical shape makes so much more sense for a sports camera...you don't feel any drag at high speeds either. And they even thought of a beep to let you know you're recording with a very large slide forward switch vs a button. GoPro's in my opinion look and act ridiculous in a motorcycle setting. And the popo will surely be made aware of the box on your head. I'm surprised they dominate the market.

I've had my Contour cams mounted on my helmets for years. No issues. I can see the GoPro being more of an issue. The sticks out like a sore thumb. Guess I will see what happens.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This. Too bad Contour went under... I wonder if GoPro had something to do with their quick bankruptcy. I still use my Contour Roams. The cylindrical shape makes so much more sense for a sports camera...you don't feel any drag at high speeds either. And they even thought of a beep to let you know you're recording with a very large slide forward switch vs a button. GoPro's in my opinion look and act ridiculous in a motorcycle setting. And the popo will surely be made aware of the box on your head. I'm surprised they dominate the market.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

the regular full-size gopro just isnt helmet friendly. but the small cubed gopro 5 session is ok with me, which can be had for 250$'ish now.

sena also has a new version of their prism tube coming out soon as well.

https://www.sena.com/product/prism-tube-wifi/

Chin mount is 100% the best mounting position on a street bike helmet. Not only does it look the best but gets the best shot.

On my dirt helmet, the mount it upside down under the visor, which is equally good.

I went through a ride program last night with my go pro chin mounted on my helmet. The officers just smiled and asked if they would be on youtube :eek:

Back
Top Bottom