Action camera on your helmet legal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Action camera on your helmet legal?

GRN_ZX7R

I just ordered a camera, with so many things happening now days, I figured it’s a good thing to have while riding. Now my question is, is it legal to have it mounted on the helmet? I did try to research it and some say it is,some say it’s not, so I’m kind of confused now. Any of you using one on the helmet and have you had any problems with it?

It's legal to put it on your bike.

A search will yield all sorts of factual threads on the topic here, including one active right now titled “Helmet Laws in Ontario”.

Short answer: No, not legal.

Slightly longer answer: Most cops won’t bother you. Some will. YMMV.

imho Chest mount makes better video anyway.

We seen video on here of people getting warned for it, Pickering area officer if I recall. Something about tagged for not wearing an approved helmet, because attaching something to the surface that protrudes voids the certs or some such nonsense.
Besides; how strong is your neck? I pay stupid money just to have the lightest helmets possible.

Thanks for pointing me out to that thread, missed it some how, even though it still doesn’t clarify if legal or not, I guess as stated is open to interpretation... now also another question would be, if I do mount it on the bike to avoid issues with the helmet thing, can it be mounted anywhere or is there restrictions as well. Reason for asking is that the wind screen on my bike is black not see through, so would have to be mounted on the outside somewhere..

imho Chest mount makes better video anyway.

We seen video on here of people getting warned for it, Pickering area officer if I recall. Something about tagged for not wearing an approved helmet, because attaching something to the surface that protrudes voids the certs or some such nonsense.
Besides; how strong is your neck? I pay stupid money just to have the lightest helmets possible.

i’ve thought about mounting it on the chest, but being an SS the chest is pointing down most of the time

You can mount it anywhere you please on the bike itself, so long as it's secure.

The "Grey area" helmet thing is the problem - it's been proven in court that it's a charge that will stick. Until they charge the wrong person and they appeal it to the highest levels to set any sort of precedent lower courts will actually pay attention to..it's gonna be a charge that will stick...as stupid as it is.

I figure anything that will get me pulled over is no good, whether I can fight it in court is a mute point once I get handed a summons, I've already been inconvenienced and had to deal with some cop who probably knows diddly squat.

I don't own a Gopro cam but I borrowed one once, took only minutes to realize that I was thinking way too much about making a movie and not enough about riding the motorcycle :I crashed badly and it didn't even make for an interesting video. ymmv.

I've had my Contour cams mounted on my helmets for years. No issues. I can see the GoPro being more of an issue. The sticks out like a sore thumb. Guess I will see what happens.

I've been pulled over before with it mounted on the chin of my helmet. Cop didn't mention anything about it. I guess it all depends on how much a a D-BAG the officer is.

I suspect that if you are pulled over for having a camera there's a couple of ways it could go:

a) you're ATGATT, dismount your mint sport touring machine and pull off your helmet to reveal a greying, balding pate; the cop is probably going to give you a break, or
b) you're in flip-flops and a wife-beater, dismount a supersport with a bald rear tire and partially obscured plate and when the helmet comes off the cop sees a ********* beard and tats on your neck; you're likely going to get ****.

I think a big GoPro is likely to attract more attention than a smaller unit, such as a Sena Tube.

What about a packtalk/sena comms device? are they illegal also?
How is that any different than a camera?

or how much of a D_BAG the rider is.....

This is always a 2 way street.....

Yes I agree with you 100% If you are a pr!ick to the cop, he's going to be the same back and ding you. Suck it up for a couple minutes, show respect, and 95% of the time they will be much more lenient towards the rider

Yes I agree with you 100% If you are a pr!ick to the cop, he's going to be the same back and ding you. Suck it up for a couple minutes, show respect, and 95% of the time they will be much more lenient towards the rider

I'd always take off sunglasses and take the keys out if I was pulled over (sometimes remove helmet, but when hanging out at the side of a road I'd rather have my noggin protected). It makes the cop happier if they see you are cooperating and not waiting for a chance to run.

I've had my Contour cams mounted on my helmets for years. No issues. I can see the GoPro being more of an issue. The sticks out like a sore thumb. Guess I will see what happens.

Most people don't seem to know what the Contour camera is. I had it mounted on my helmet for 4 years until it broke - have always been asked what it was (twice by cops).

Switched to GoPro but found that it was kind of weird to have it on the helmet so I just mounted it on my bike. I later got a mount to mount it on my handle-bar via RAM mount.

Back
Top Bottom