OPP issue warning on wildlife crashes | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP issue warning on wildlife crashes

If you're in a standard sedan hitting a moose is really bad news. Tall spindly legs and huge body mass often means the the bulk of the moose hits the windshield full on, peels away the roof and hits occupants. There is virtually no crush zone in the windshield and roof of a car. Needless to say, riders don't do too well either.

Sometimes I think it might be better on a bike. Hit and get thrown clear???

Old news.....

Man hurt in bike crash
THE CHRONICLE-JOURNAL
08/03/2010

A man was airlifted to hospital on Monday around 1 p.m. after the motorcycle he was riding collided with a moose in Kashabowie, northwest of Thunder Bay.

Highway 11 was closed for a short time while an air ambulance picked up the man, who was talking to emergency workers.

It‘s a good sign that he‘s talking,” said Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Rod Brown.

Is the moose ok?

Was riding near Lake Roseau area about 2 weeks back, around 5-6pm, just missed a moose crossing the road. Saw her in front of me and was huge. Last year riding on Southwood Rd13, right near the start also just missed a dear... Ride slow in these places, sun goes down at around 8-9pm now, both my encounters were at 5-7pm.

OPP tells us, try not to hit big animals, awesome

I need to transport some scissors to another room
maybe they have some advice on how to do that safely ;)

OPP tells us, try not to hit big animals, awesome

I need to transport some scissors to another room
maybe they have some advice on how to do that safely ;)

Wear a cup

Sent from the Moon!

Was riding near Lake Roseau area about 2 weeks back, around 5-6pm, just missed a moose crossing the road. Saw her in front of me and was huge. Last year riding on Southwood Rd13, right near the start also just missed a dear... Ride slow in these places, sun goes down at around 8-9pm now, both my encounters were at 5-7pm.

You wouldn't have seen them at night. It's a fact that these animals are more active at that time. They are active during the day, but also much easier to see. At night they're just there and that's it. Bang.

You wouldn't have seen them at night. It's a fact that these animals are more active at that time. They are active during the day, but also much easier to see. At night they're just there and that's it. Bang.

My dad still tells a story of being a kid in the back seat while driving up north and the driver made some strange noises and he saw tree trunks going past the window. The tree trunks were moose legs and by luck they missed it by inches. It must have been a damned big moose.

At night is def more risky and when the critters are out and about. Every time I make day trips up north to ride, when I see the sun going down I get myself on the 400 series and on the 401 with lights asap, sort of like Will Smith in I Am Legend when the sun goes down, knowing what comes in the dark :lmao:

Do those moose whistle help at all?

Sent from the Moon!

Do those moose whistle help at all?

Sent from the Moon!

I've never seen a study that shows they did anything. I know of a private study that was done regarding moose on railway tracks and no useful methods were found that could be installed on trains and deter wildlife.

:I had to bottle feed a baby moose for a couple of weeks, that was pretty interesting.

My dad still tells a story of being a kid in the back seat while driving up north and the driver made some strange noises and he saw tree trunks going past the window. The tree trunks were moose legs and by luck they missed it by inches. It must have been a damned big moose.

I remember seeing oval things going up and down in front of me in a rhythmic pattern. They were hoofs.

But of a scare today riding through Virginia . Last second going on a back road . I noticed a doe and a fawn standing on my right . They started to run the fawn darted right in front of me . The doe turned right . It was a scary few seconds

Deer have fear and will react accordingly, Moose :/ not so much, a Moose isn't afraid of anything.

I had to avoid a raccoon at the last second a couple weeks back. Riding north on Leslie in Richmond Hill.

Luckily I was thinking to myself a few moments before that my headlight was not shinning quite as far up the road as I'd like and I decided to slow down "just in case". Sure enough this dumpster diver came waddling onto the road from the right shoulder and it was an easy swoop around him.

I had to avoid a raccoon at the last second a couple weeks back. Riding north on Leslie in Richmond Hill.

Luckily I was thinking to myself a few moments before that my headlight was not shinning quite as far up the road as I'd like and I decided to slow down "just in case". Sure enough this dumpster diver came waddling onto the road from the right shoulder and it was an easy swoop around him.

Don't kill yourself trying to avoid a racoon or ground hog, the poor thing will squish flat under your motorcycle tires and you'll barely notice the impact.
:| on the other hand Mr.Racoon says; thank you for not killing me.

Back
Top Bottom