Installing Grips | GTAMotorcycle.com

Installing Grips

arogal

Hi Everyone,
1st time doing grips here. I am going to cut them off with a razor blade as I have no use for the grips currently on it. I know its a very simple job, but I am debating what to use while slipping them on the clop ons's. I have access to hairspray and Isopropyl Alcohol. Watched a quick tutorial on Revzilla and he swears by the Isopropyl Alcohol (shake it around in the grip and slip her on). I have heard that if you get caught in the rain or let your bike sit in the heat, if using hairspay, the grips will start to slip.
I can always get my hands on some grip glue from Burly cycle also.
What do you use when installing new grips?

I've used hair spray and spray glue(3M spray Mount).

3m-spray-mount-artist-s-adhesive-290g-oaoffice-1012-28-oaoffice@4.jpg

Both worked. I ride rain or shine and down to about -10C. If you can get grip glue, night as well use that.

Last edited:
A tip to help you get them off / on is to use an air chuck with an air compressor. Spray air between the bar and the grip and it inflates the grip to allow you to zip it right off / on. You'll giggle with how easy it is.

A tip to help you get them off / on is to use an air chuck with an air compressor. Spray air between the bar and the grip and it inflates the grip to allow you to zip it right off / on. You'll giggle with how easy it is.

This!!! If you don't have one, find someone that does. Makes an absolutely spiteful job, easy peasy

Hair spray and safety wire.+1 for the compressed air.New grips every year here.
P6250044_zpsfipcdfkd.jpg

Last edited:
Thin piece of metal (coat hanger) up inside the grip, followed by WD40 spray nozzle, work the grip for a few seconds and it should slide right off.

Used hairspray for a few seasons and had no issues, still plenty tough to get off when the grip is done; setup time is a bit longer than some grip glues (I think).

I hate trying to get new grips on. but I never knew this trick. thx for the tip.

I am going to just cut the grips off with an x-acto knife. Going to try some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to slip em on...I wonder how long it will take to cure.....probably just let them settle over night so I'm good for morning!

just use hairspray......

the isopropyl alcohol has no stickiness to it, it will clean up the tube and evaporate....

the hairspray will act a lube to make it easier to get the grip on, and one it dries it becomes sticky and will keep the grip on place

get the hairspray form the wife, girlfriend, mistress.....I am sure anyone of them will have some....

cutting them off is OK, but if you have heated grips this can cause damage to the heating elements, so it's not always a good way to get old grips off,

you might damage the plastic throttle tube with the xacto knife, but I doubt you will cut through it, so not an issue there...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom