Track Riders Who Quit Street | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Track Riders Who Quit Street

Dedicated track bike wouldn't need much prep each time. Swapping over a street bike back and forth would though....that's why many end up getting a track bike.
My ZX6R doubles as a daily commuter and track bike. At the begining of the season I replace the coolant with distilled water and a bit of Water Wetter.
My track prep then takes about 15 minutes: 1) mirrors off 2) unplug front/rear lights (quicker than pulling seat to pull out the fuses) 3) tape over lights 4) remove license plate/light -- done.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I used to do the same, but ended up getting a track bike. Took more than 15 min to tape over headlight, signals, remover mirrors, etc. If something happens, my daily rider is not out of commission.

I'll sell you a '70s TZ for '70s prices... corrected for inflation of course.

Doubtful; I remember how much they cost when they were brand new, you still have a brand new 1970's TZ to sell at list price corrected for inflation, or do you have a very used race bike that you would like to sell for way more then you paid for it in the 1970's ?

Started track riding by doing Fast in 2012. Did Racer 5 courses and a couple endurance races, then did Pro6 Calabogie last year, all on rental bikes. Took the plunge last fall and picked up a track dedicated bike. I have no intention of giving up street riding. I'll be semi-retiring soon, so I actually look forward to more time to street ride as well. Even picked up a bike better suited to longer distance 2-up touring. Even with dirt riding, I could never survive on something like 8 track days a year.

One thing to consider, if you give up insuring a street bike then decide to go back to it later, make sure that your insurance company won't treat you as a new rider when you start back up again. You may be better off just to keep a cheap (and cheap to insure) blue plated dual sport to fill that ride fix, and ensure that there is no excuse for your insurance company to screw you over in the future.

Doubtful; I remember how much they cost when they were brand new, you still have a brand new 1970's TZ to sell at list price corrected for inflation, or do you have a very used race bike that you would like to sell for way more then you paid for it in the 1970's ?

They were about $3000 then, which is about $15,000 today (USD).

You can get a pretty nice steel frame TZ for $15,000 USD. Actually you can get a pretty nice steel frame TZ C, D or E for $5000 USD... if you are lucky enough to find one for sale. If you want one I think I know a guy.....

I have a, for all intents and purposes, brand new TZ350B, only been started a couple of times. You can have that for $17,500 USD. Comes with the original, complete spares kit.

I have a TZ350G, with Canadian race providence(3 championships), just went through the bike, needs nothing (new crank, clutch basket, plates and hub, new paint, tires, rebuilt brakes) comes with every go fast part you could get in 1982. Just add gas and race $15,000 USD.

Bikes are lousy investments.

I moved to Canada 8 years ago and didn't even bother getting the M licence. I live downtown and don't find it fun riding in the city, plus I love to walk.
I would love to buy a nice bike and go for a ride here and there but in my case the insurance cost is too much. I'd realistically ride the bike maybe 15/20 times per year.

Said so, I bought a Ninja 300 and went race at RACE + track days. This bike is a great deal of fun and you can learn a lot from it.
I think racing or doing track days on a small bike is a great choice both because it's more budget friendly then a big bike and also is easier to learn.

You can buy a track/race ready 300 from a racer for few thousand dollars and 1 or 2 set of good race tires will last you the whole season.

I used to ride a CBR1000RR on the street and would still pick a bigger bike for street riding.

I would not replace street riding with track riding or vice versa. Others on this forum eluded to this before but I never understood why until I made that mistake. Here is why:

There is a common misconception that track riding costs less than street riding. Unless you are track riding less than 4 times a year, it will cost more.

Track riding also differs heavily from street riding in mindset. If you're on the track, you're pushing limits. If you're pushing limits, you are not relaxed. Motorcycling riding being the "lazy man's zen" only applies to street riding. I'll often dump my mind while street riding to enjoy the surroundings and nature that we take for granted. The one time I "dumped my mind" on the track, I went lawn mowing involuntarily while leading 2 other guys that wondered wtf was wrong with me.

If possible, I HIGHLY recommend doing both if you have ever used riding as a way to relax.

I used to only ride on the street in the UK, never did track days & then I moved to Canada.
When I first moved to Ontario I did a lot of serious cycling (& still do) & decided I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle in Ontario on the public roads based on that experience but also after seeing 1st hand on a number of occasions how poor motorcycle perception was by Ontario's drivers.
Years passed (about 10 of them) & I eventually bought another motorbike but the intention was always as dedicated track bike.
I did track days for 2 years then I started racing this year & loving it - I have zero inclination to ride the street & compete with Ontario's coffee drinkers & cell phone users for their attention.
Now I've started racing street riding is a non issue anyway, just cant afford it (or anything else for that matter) anymore ha ha
Each to their own I guess.

They were about $3000 then, which is about $15,000 today (USD).

You can get a pretty nice steel frame TZ for $15,000 USD. Actually you can get a pretty nice steel frame TZ C, D or E for $5000 USD... if you are lucky enough to find one for sale. If you want one I think I know a guy.....

I have a, for all intents and purposes, brand new TZ350B, only been started a couple of times. You can have that for $17,500 USD. Comes with the original, complete spares kit.

I have a TZ350G, with Canadian race providence(3 championships), just went through the bike, needs nothing (new crank, clutch basket, plates and hub, new paint, tires, rebuilt brakes) comes with every go fast part you could get in 1982. Just add gas and race $15,000 USD.

Bikes are lousy investments.

Absolutely love everything you said there except for the USD part in the 1970's our money was on a par or better than the USD so at 30% exchange rate above the 500% inflation rate imho you're looking for a US customer.
... and lol my wife would absolutely kill me even if the bike didn't!

油井緋色;2575918 said:
I would not replace street riding with track riding or vice versa. Others on this forum eluded to this before but I never understood why until I made that mistake. Here is why:

There is a common misconception that track riding costs less than street riding. Unless you are track riding less than 4 times a year, it will cost more.

Track riding also differs heavily from street riding in mindset. If you're on the track, you're pushing limits. If you're pushing limits, you are not relaxed. Motorcycling riding being the "lazy man's zen" only applies to street riding. I'll often dump my mind while street riding to enjoy the surroundings and nature that we take for granted. The one time I "dumped my mind" on the track, I went lawn mowing involuntarily while leading 2 other guys that wondered wtf was wrong with me.

If possible, I HIGHLY recommend doing both if you have ever used riding as a way to relax.

I think you put it in clear words. Track riding and street riding are different things.
It really depends on what you enjoy most. I love both but for the reasons shared by most here I chose track only.

The only thing I strongly recommend is that if you're looking for adrenaline bursts and want to go fast you're better going on track.
I think we all had/have that "crazy street" riding phase, better to take that to a close, safe place.

If you crash on track odds are that you'll have less damage on the bike and be safer then on the street. That itself makes it up for the cost of a track day.

Sold my street bike to buy my first race bike. Haven't had any money to speak of since.

Don't miss it much. Rode a few times on borrowed bikes since but never spurred me into wanting another street bike.

I still have plans to get another street bike at some point as there are some long rides I want to do. However, I have no desire to ride day to day on the roads anymore.

Dedicated track bike wouldn't need much prep each time. Swapping over a street bike back and forth would though....that's why many end up getting a track bike.
I think he's talking about the overall prep required for every race weekend, and even every race during a weekend. The lions share of your time is just making sure everything is ready and set right and working and whatever. Riding the bike is the easy part lol

I think he's talking about the overall prep required for every race weekend, and even every race during a weekend. The lions share of your time is just making sure everything is ready and set right and working and whatever. Riding the bike is the easy part lol

I figure riding is about 3% of racing, especially with CSBK!

I still keep a street bike though.... So far this year I went to work on it a couple times and maybe 2-3 rides just for the sake of riding. Two bikes ago I changed rides pretty drastically trying to put some interest back into the street, it worked for a season. Last year I got the Tuono (that I absolutely love) trying to do the same thing.... my interest is fading again.

One thing to consider, if you give up insuring a street bike then decide to go back to it later, make sure that your insurance company won't treat you as a new rider when you start back up again. You may be better off just to keep a cheap (and cheap to insure) blue plated dual sport to fill that ride fix, and ensure that there is no excuse for your insurance company to screw you over in the future.

Thanks for the tip. If I do end up getting a track bike for next year I plan to keep the Scrambler as my street ride. Insurance is pretty cheap on it.

Said so, I bought a Ninja 300 and went race at RACE + track days. This bike is a great deal of fun and you can learn a lot from it.
I think racing or doing track days on a small bike is a great choice both because it's more budget friendly then a big bike and also is easier to learn.

You can buy a track/race ready 300 from a racer for few thousand dollars and 1 or 2 set of good race tires will last you the whole season.

I never thought I'd enjoy the 125s as much as I did at the Racer5 weekend to be honest, so I can imagine a 300 would be a blast to race and learn on. I'd like to take it step by step so thinking of a 250/300 for next year myself instead of anything bigger than that.

I figure riding is about 3% of racing, especially with CSBK!

I still keep a street bike though.... So far this year I went to work on it a couple times and maybe 2-3 rides just for the sake of riding. Two bikes ago I changed rides pretty drastically trying to put some interest back into the street, it worked for a season. Last year I got the Tuono (that I absolutely love) trying to do the same thing.... my interest is fading again.

Lol I imagine CSBK would keep you pretty occupied! The Tuono is an incredible machine. How did you like the SV as a race bike? Would you consider it a good platform to learn on or one to step up to from lightweight?

Haven't heard anyone knock the SV as a track ride.

They're pretty cheap, lots of interchangeable parts between it and the GSXr for exhaust and suspension.

You obviously don't have the top end of a SS, but the low end punch is fantastic.

My 1st street bike was an 04 sv650s. Was a great machine.

My first track bike was a SV650. Was a blast but got a 600 SS for the extra grunt and the suspension mods it had. Haven't looked back, but I think the time on the SV made me a little better.

Having a hard time finding street riding on a sport bike as fun as I used to. So now i signed up for a track school and will be doing that this weekend. Im wondering if it will make me want to ride more or less on the street. Guess we will find out pretty soon lol...

Last edited:
Having a hard time finding street riding on a sport bike as fun as I used to. So now i signed up for a track school and will be doing that this weekend. Im wondering if it will make me want to ride more or less on the street. Guess we will find out pretty soon lol...
:p

What school are u doing. Just curious

Back
Top Bottom