Downtown lanes with parked cars? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Downtown lanes with parked cars?

Max527

Hi,

I was riding down bathurst and I'm confused whether motorcycles are allowed to ride in the right lane where cars are parked. There is enough space for motos but not cars.
My question is if it is illegal to ride down those lanes?

iirc the "official" rule is one vehicle per lane.
That being said, I have done it. (but I don't ride in the big city much). My biggest concern is people opening their doors.
Hi,

I was riding down bathurst and I'm confused whether motorcycles are allowed to ride in the right lane where cars are parked. There is enough space for motos but not cars.
My question is if it is illegal to ride down those lanes?

Edit: I was on Bathurst as well the times when I did this.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

+1 for Joe's response. I live downtown so I do it a bit, but with a constant eye on both sides - my right for car doors and cyclists, and left for cagers who'll move over to make the route difficult.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

so why can bicycles do that? i thought they're also supposed to occupy a full lane.

you WILL get angry car drivers yelling and honking. i had one riding my *** down bathurst cause i slowly passed him going like 15km/h on the right parked car lane. but then again thats pretty normal for this citys crappy driving culture. everyones angry, jealous and easily upset.

so why can bicycles do that? i thought they're also supposed to occupy a full lane.

you WILL get angry car drivers yelling and honking. i had one riding my *** down bathurst cause i slowly passed him going like 15km/h on the right parked car lane. but then again thats pretty normal for this citys crappy driving culture. everyones angry, jealous and easily upset.
Is it legal for cyclists? Many ride on the sidewalk, the wrong way on one way streets, blast through stop signs...the list goes on. None of that's legal.

You're dead right though, it's a shitstorm mostly because people are so angry or unwilling to give an inch.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

It used to be a full two lanes + parking except at intersections (left turn lane) in many places, I’m thinking Danforth Ave.

Later on they seem to have narrowed it to discourage cars and allow bicycles to use it, so I’m not sure anymore.

I knew one guy who use to drive it in a beat up old bug and make awesome time across the city.

I would say no

unless

the lane is much wider and can accommodate a regular sized sedan then I would say you are safe, but if the gap is less than that then you would be filtering

How willing are you to be the one it's enforced on? ;)

I use those lanes whenever opportunity arises, accepting the consequences of a door prize.

As for police, it's why my bike will stay pretty stock. Draw the least amount of attention possible...when I'm not on the throttle anyways.

I looked into this when I first started riding - I could be mistaken but I believe riding in the "parking" lane is 100% legal as long as you are able to fit your entire vehicle within your lane. Parked vehicles are not considered "vehicles" on the road in this context, so you are not sharing a lane with another vehicle.

This is from my personal interpretation of the HTA + the words/opinions of two TPS officers I asked directly about this topic.

With that said, be careful for cars that try to squeeze in, especially if the car in front of them stops to turn left. And of course pay attention so you don't get door'ed.

Back
Top Bottom