First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees



Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6

    Unhappy First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Forum Sponsor
    Hi All,

    I am new to Canada, having spent 6 years in the US. I am a first time motorcycle purchaser with a M1 license. Somehow can't seem to get any insurance quotes from providers / brokers except from Riders Plus. Can somebody provide a list of insurance providers that insure the bike for inexperienced riders?

    I am sorry if this is a duplicate thread, if so please close this and guide me to the original one.

    Thanks,
    Gaurav

  2. #2
    roadrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    816

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by gk17980 View Post
    Hi All,

    I am new to Canada, having spent 6 years in the US. I am a first time motorcycle purchaser with a M1 license. Somehow can't seem to get any insurance quotes from providers / brokers except from Riders Plus. Can somebody provide a list of insurance providers that insure the bike for inexperienced riders?

    I am sorry if this is a duplicate thread, if so please close this and guide me to the original one.

    Thanks,
    Gaurav
    Welcome to the forum

    Have you already purchased a bike? If so, what kind? This would make all the difference. As a beginner, it's in your and your wallet's best interest to stick with small bikes in the 250-300cc range.

    What are your plans for getting an M2 license? M1 is only valid for 3 months. I would recommend taking an approved M1X course (bike is provided) and then shop around.

    Once you take the course and pass the test at the end of it, then you can shop around for bikes and insurance.

    Alternatively, if you want to figure out insurance first, call in assuming you already have an M2.

    Places to call would be brokers that specialize in motorcycle insurance like Dalton Timmis, Mitchell Whale. Can also try TD, Desjardins, Statefarm.
    Last edited by roadrash; 06-22-2018 at 09:14 PM.

  3. #3

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    I would have no concerns with riders plus, their rates for me would have been very competitive when I was last shopping for what that's worth.
    what are you riding?
    Last edited by Trials; 06-22-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: what the spell check was that lol

  4. #4

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by gk17980 View Post
    Hi All,

    I am new to Canada, having spent 6 years in the US. I am a first time motorcycle purchaser with a M1 license. Somehow can't seem to get any insurance quotes from providers / brokers except from Riders Plus. Can somebody provide a list of insurance providers that insure the bike for inexperienced riders?

    I am sorry if this is a duplicate thread, if so please close this and guide me to the original one.

    Thanks,
    Gaurav
    OP- This might not be the answer that you want, but I had a tough time finding an insurance provider who would insure me with just M1. They all wanted me to complete the safety course before they would insure me. Try and get it completed asap- then you'd find insurance providers willing to insure you.

    In case you didn't know- the course could be completed by next weekend if you can find a place which has available spots for next week.
    Good luck!

  5. #5
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,277

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Sign up for a motorcycle course ASAP. Several motorcycle specific insurance companies will insure you as an M2 rider (once you complete the course and can prove you passed) even while you still technically have only the M1 and are waiting for the clock to tick down until you're eligible for your m2 on paper.

    First time rider insurance is vastly easier when you can provide proof of having done the course and/or an M2.

    And what you learn at the course can and may very well save your life some day.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Sign up for a motorcycle course ASAP. Several motorcycle specific insurance companies will insure you as an M2 rider (once you complete the course and can prove you passed) even while you still technically have only the M1 and are waiting for the clock to tick down until you're eligible for your m2 on paper.

    First time rider insurance is vastly easier when you can provide proof of having done the course and/or an M2.

    And what you learn at the course can and may very well save your life some day.
    I will be completing my safety course this weekend. Haven't bought a bike yet but I have almost 10 years of riding experience in India which is not being credited to me in Canada.
    I am interested in purchasing a cruiser / touring motorcycle like Triumph Thunderbird or Kawasaki Vulcan.
    Currently riders plus has given me a quote of $2681 for the thunderbird LT for the year. I claimed to have passedy safety course which aided the quote. But none of the others I called like TD, AllState, Kanetix, PC Insurance etc...but none of them were willing to insure on M1. I have yet to try State Farm and RBC insurance but am not optimistic about getting a quote from them.
    Last edited by gk17980; 06-22-2018 at 11:28 PM.

  7. #7
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,277

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Many (most now actually) insurance companies are not interested in touching M1 riders anymore - the risk is simply too high. Even M2 riders that only passed the ministry test (which is laughably easy and includes zero actual training) can find it challenging, certainly more expensive. Having the course under your belt is a big plus.

    Your overseas riding experience MAY help you IF you were insured during that entire time period and can prove it - insurance companies will (at least here, not sure about India) provide a letter of experience on request proving coverage. I doubt being able to prove a licence will help much however as being licensed is different in the eyes of Canadian insurance companies vs having actually been insured to confirm one was actually riding that entire time.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  8. #8

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by gk17980 View Post
    I will be completing my safety course this weekend. Haven't bought a bike yet but I have almost 10 years of riding experience in India which is not being credited to me in Canada.
    I am interested in purchasing a cruiser / touring motorcycle like Triumph Thunderbird or Kawasaki Vulcan.
    Currently riders plus has given me a quote of $2681 for the thunderbird LT for the year. I claimed to have passedy safety course which aided the quote. But none of the others I called like TD, AllState, Kanetix, PC Insurance etc...but none of them were willing to insure on M1. I have yet to try State Farm and RBC insurance but am not optimistic about getting a quote from them.
    Yeah- your riding in India would not be counted towards experience. Did you try getting quotes for 250/500/650 cruisers? They should be more reasonable. When you ask for quotes- always ask for rates with M1 and safety course, and then rates for M2 (Which you would be getting by going to Drive test 60 days after the safety course.

    Many of us here have been in your situation. (With years of riding experience in India, but struggling to find decent insurance rates). The only way forward is settling for a lower cc motorcycle for your first season, and keep calling different insurance providers. And of course, passing the Safety course. Good luck!

  9. #9
    PrivatePilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arrrrrrrrrr.
    Posts
    6,277

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Yeah, a more reasonable choice of bike would yield more attractive prices as well...seems in the last 12 months insurance companies have started penalizing big-bore cruisers for new(er) riders a lot more than they have in years past - my wife just upgrade to an 1100 from her 650 and her insurance more than doubled despite having 3 years (and counting) of experience as well as having passed the MSC when she started riding.

    A 650 class cruiser will probably yield a lot more palatable insurance quote for you.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

  10. #10

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by gk17980 View Post
    ... Triumph Thunderbird or Kawasaki Vulcan...
    Nice! but too much first bike, insurance people are going to make a killing on you.

  11. #11

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Nice! but too much first bike, insurance people are going to make a killing on you.
    Not his first bike, only first in canada(although insurance companies could care less about your experience back home)

    OP no one insures M1 riders, even though the ministry specifically created the 60 day wait period precisely so that you practice before coming back for your M2.

    Do the course asap, get your M2, get a reasonable bike and you'll be set. If your older you'll get decent quotes after course+M2

  12. #12

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    True that but to the insurance company it is his first motorcycle, riding something like a Bajaj Pulsar around India counts as much towards insurance history as riding a minibike around your back yard since you were 10.

    Gaurav, how much did you pay for your motorcycle license and insurance in India?

  13. #13

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    I got $86 a month with M1 and training completed for a 2016 vstrom 650 with Aviva. I am 35 with no priors though.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    The insurance was negligible in CAD terms... due to different liability rules etc... I only had a comprehensive accident coverage and that was like INR3000 a year.
    But I get the point in terms of going for a smaller engine bike to keep insurance costs down. I can afford the $2600 year insurance but want to have some comparative quotes to be confident that I am getting a good deal

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6

    Re: First time motorcycle insurance for M1 Licensees

    Quote Originally Posted by Max527 View Post
    I got $86 a month with M1 and training completed for a 2016 vstrom 650 with Aviva. I am 35 with no priors though.
    I too am evaluating a 2017 Vulcan 900 LT Classic now... Will be visiting the dealership this weekend to make my purchasing decision

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •