This is what I was afraid of..... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

This is what I was afraid of.....

Whole thing sounds odd me. He can't pay you what he owes you but he apparently has money for sales tax, registration, insurance etc..... to get the bike on the road. Sure. Write it off as a life lesson and just move on, as they say "in God we trust, but everyone else pays cash".

^This. Sounds like he just doesn't want to pay you what he owes you.

I know his Wife knows how much he paid for the bike as she had to come and see it and give him the okay to buy it on the delivery date. During the month between selling him the bike and now he did message me twice, once to say he didn't realize it was going to cost so much to register the bike (no one gets out of paying taxes buddy) and then once more asking if the bike had a fueling issue, claiming the bike stalled out on him and wouldn't restart. Turns out he had ridden over 300km and didn't know about the reserve switch. Miraculously the fueling problem was solved!

At this point I'm just washing my hands of the whole thing. It isn't worth the headache of dealing with this guy any more for $200. Life has a funny way of balancing the scales anyway.

You're lucky you even got a $100 from him. He had no intention of paying you back when he left with the bike.

It happened to me too. I had a local carpenter working around my place about 10 years ago, he became obsessed with an old Beetle convertible that I had gathering dust in my garage. Nice kid, did great work - I gave him the car for 3Gs, he diligently worked off the first $1500 and asked me if he could take the car before he finished working it off. I said sure and never saw him again.

The next time I saw the car was on the back of a wrecker. Seems the young fella forgot to latch the hood, it flew open and he crashed the car about 200m from a YRP station - hammered and dirty.

Sometimes Kharma sucks (him), sometime it's pure bliss (me).

I guess a good work ethic doesn't translate into good person?

I guess a good work ethic doesn't translate into good person?

When it comes to MONEY "its no holds barred" try going through an inheritance and people you have known and loved all your life turn into money hungry beasts never mind a stranger.
Nothing new here this is totally expected just chalk it up as a good deed. I love good deeds although knowingly not like this.

You are far more trusting than I. Even the nicest person on the planet isn't leaving without paying 100% of the agreed price.

Anyhow, $200 isn't devastating, so yeah, cut your losses and let it go.

At least he's not threatening to sue you or anything because of the work he suddenly says it needs - about 15 years ago I sold a kinda high performance car (200+ HP at the time was a lot, and the car was 8-10 years old at that) to a young kid (Maybe 18YO) who showed up with his dad to look it over. Loved the car, came and bought it a few days later and drove it away. About 3 weeks later he messages me saying the engine is making a weird noise and asked me if I knew anything about why that would be happening. More discussion suggested that he had done a bunch of "work" to it trying to rice it out and he'd broke a sparkplug off in the process..while drilling it out he said 'some stuff may have went in the hole'. I politely informed him the car had been sold used and was running great when he bought it and I obviously wasn't responsible for anything, much less something he caused himself. 2 weeks later he sends me another angry email saying that the engine is trashed and his dad says it was my fault and I had to pay for the replacement...and if I didn't his dad was going to sue me. I suggested he talk to a lawyer. Never heard from them again.

... I even agreed to write the bill up for less than what we agreed on so he could save a few bucks on the taxes....

Huge mistake! and probably right about now you know why.

............ his dad says it was my fault and I had to pay for the replacement...and if I didn't his dad was going to sue me. I suggested he talk to a lawyer. Never heard from them again.

Dealing with Kijiji and garage sale trolls is a pain. After a computer upgrade I wiped the HD on the old one and sold the system it to a guy for $100. He gave me $50 to hold it and said he was going to come back 3 days later after payday to pay the balance and take the PC away. 2 - 3 weeks go by and he's a no show. On a Friday at about midnight someone is pounding on my front door and ringing the doorbell. I get out of bed and find it's the same guy, drunk & can barely stand, a car full of his buddies at the curb and he's demanding his deposit back because they want to party and he has no money left. I just wanted him to go away, so I gave him his money back, he staggered back to the car and drove away.

Yeah, dealt with too many window shoppers myself. Now when I sell something on Kijiji and someone replies..I send them my phone number and tell them to call me. If someone is serious, they will call. If they're just window shopping and really aren't serious at all, they don't. Problem solved.

But being on the other side of the fence can be equally as frustrating. WTF is with people that list things for sale and then make it downright miserable (or near impossible) to actually BUY it from them?

Yeah, dealt with too many window shoppers myself. Now when I sell something on Kijiji and someone replies..I send them my phone number and tell them to call me. If someone is serious, they will call. If they're just window shopping and really aren't serious at all, they don't. Problem solved.

But being on the other side of the fence can be equally as frustrating. WTF is with people that list things for sale and then make it downright miserable (or near impossible) to actually BUY it from them?

Even then it doesn't work, if im looking to buy i actually ask for the number after asking a few questions.

I remember asking a guy about his bike, everything looked good, price was good, initially he wouldn't even tell me where i could come to pick it up(I had repeatedly indicated strong interest and was coming with cash)

after going back and forth with this idiot for a couple of days, he finally gives me an address, but then decides to randomly jack up the price for no reason. At that point I just next'd him)

Some people are just on there to play games.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your tale, it sucks, but not all deals are bad and or go wrong..

I just found a aftermarket tail light for my bike, original price close to 300, being sold for 75, I contacted seller, told him I would be there at his earliest convenience, 2 days latter I arrived at his place, item was exactly as described, paid him the asking price, I didn’t even negotiate, as I was willing to pay the asking price, chatted a few minutes and off I went, it was a 2 hour round trip by car, I couldn’t wait for him too ship, I wanted it right away, that evening I had it installed, and it worked perfectly....

I guess there are some good outcomes as well...

I just bought a $200 rear rack for the Bandit 650. $40 on Kijiji North bay. Emailed asking if he would do $60 shipped. Sent address for him to get shipping cost and I would pay. Next I heard was "it's $60 and already shipped. Just send cash when it arrives" sweet deal and love the rack. Side note it is illegal to send cash through the mail or so the very upset post office guy told me when I tried.

I have had a lot of people ask me to deliver my Z750 or the Scooter I'm selling to Quebec.

I buy lots on Kiji ( and sell lots ) and most deals go okay ....some are bargains..a few regrets but it is amazing what all is on there,
Got a very nice good size glass patio table and chairs for $40 :D

Got my Dyson Pure Cool for $450 - $650 plus tax retail.

Set of brand new Metzlers for the CBF for $140. :D

My fav shopping zone.

I had a situation like this. I was the guilty party. Put a cpap mask on Kijiji that was bnib. Came with the machine. Not the one I like. Reposted ad a few times. Finally got a hit and by then I forgot I had it on and had misplaced the item. I had to message him back and ask to reschedule. Found it and then had to reschedule the new meet because my wife worked late and I had to take the kids to activities.
Finally met up with him. We agreed on $150 ($300 ish brand new). I felt bad about all the bs I had caused and told him just to give me $100. It was for his elderly father.
He calls me the next day telling me thanks for being a nice guy and that his dad thanked me as well, because he had the best sleep that he had had in a long time. (his old mask was worn and leaked air).

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Huge mistake! and probably right about now you know why.

Just curious why this is generally a huge mistake ?

Seems to be a common practice from speaking with people who buy/sell lots of items ? (Genuinely asking as I'm in the process of selling a vehicle myself and obviously want to stay within the letter of the law)

Dealing with Kijiji and garage sale trolls is a pain. After a computer upgrade I wiped the HD on the old one and sold the system it to a guy for $100. He gave me $50 to hold it and said he was going to come back 3 days later after payday to pay the balance and take the PC away. 2 - 3 weeks go by and he's a no show. On a Friday at about midnight someone is pounding on my front door and ringing the doorbell. I get out of bed and find it's the same guy, drunk & can barely stand, a car full of his buddies at the curb and he's demanding his deposit back because they want to party and he has no money left. I just wanted him to go away, so I gave him his money back, he staggered back to the car and drove away.

Exactly why I don't meet at home. I make sure the buyer checks it over and know what they are buying is final sale. All cash at time of pick up, no deposits, etc.

I had a situation like this. I was the guilty party. Put a cpap mask on Kijiji that was bnib. Came with the machine. Not the one I like. Reposted ad a few times. Finally got a hit and by then I forgot I had it on and had misplaced the item. I had to message him back and ask to reschedule. Found it and then had to reschedule the new meet because my wife worked late and I had to take the kids to activities.
Finally met up with him. We agreed on $150 ($300 ish brand new). I felt bad about all the bs I had caused and told him just to give me $100. It was for his elderly father.
He calls me the next day telling me thanks for being a nice guy and that his dad thanked me as well, because he had the best sleep that he had had in a long time. (his old mask was worn and leaked air).

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Selling anything else? ;)

Back
Top Bottom