I think I want to be a vigilante | GTAMotorcycle.com

I think I want to be a vigilante

Mad Mike

I just about lost it today. On my way to the office I was travelling west on HWY7 between Birchmount and Warden. There are 2 regular lanes and an HOV lane, I was riding in the open HOV lane the other 2 lanes dead stop. Suddenly this tool in the middle darts from a stop into the HOV lane about 20 feet in front of me. I'm travelling about 55KMH (70 zone) as I always slow when the lane adjacent to the HOV lane is stopped. Fortunately I was able to swerve between the left side of his car and the other lane of traffic... a fraction of a second later and i'd have been up an over the rear of his car.

Defensive/evasive moves have become a part of my daily routine. I started riding with touring bags on my bikes too see if that would make them more noticeable -- nope. I'm getting so fed up I feel like becoming a vigilante who punishes careless drivers.

Last edited:
I just about lost it today. On my way to the office I was travelling west on HWY7 between Birchmount and Warden. There are 2 regular lanes and an HOV lane, I was riding in the open HOV lane the other 2 lanes dead stop. Suddenly this tool in the middle darts from a stop into the HOV lane about 20 feet in front of me. I'm travelling about 55KMH (70 zone) as I always slow when the lane adjacent to the HOV lane is stopped. Fortunately I was able to swerve between the left side of his car and the other lane of traffic... a fraction of a second later and i'd have been up an over the rear of his car.

Defensive/evasive moves have become a part of my daily routine. I started riding with touring bags on my bikes too see if that would make them more noticeable -- nope. I'm getting so fed up I feel like becoming a vigilante who punishes careless drivers.

Obviously drivers in Ontario are too dumb and selfish to pay attention to painted lines on HOV lanes. They need to be physically divided (ideally with spike strips :) ).

People have done that to me when I've been driving a bright red 8 passenger van with the low-beams on,
and a soccer mom sticker prominently displayed on the back window,
I don't see why you on a bike should be any different.

Someone will always do that, it doesn't matter if it's against the law or how many points they'd get.

Edit: About the only solution would be to get an old tanky car like a Ford Granada,
front back and side video, and just hit people when they do it.

Last edited:
I live in brampton, the area is newly developed/still developing. They still have the intersections designed from 10 years ago when it was all farmland. So no lights, only stop signs.

EVERYONE drives like a retard here. Moral of the story, unless they make it idiot proof(traffic lights) people WILL drive like retards.

Sure enough, they are about to add red lights at each of the intersections, because apparently stop signs aren't idiot proof enough, they have to dumb it down to: Red means STOP. Green means GO.

Anytime theres room for interpretation, or something is not idiot proof expect people do dumb ****.

Loud horns (often but not always) save lives, ... if you see them and hit the horn just as they're starting their dick move.

Had a guy do that to me yesterday when the car in front signaled and stopped to wait to turn left into a driveway from the inside lane. Guy swerved right in front of me in the outside lane. I had to squeeze over between him and a bus in a bus bay to avoid hitting him. I got in front and slowed down (no brake check), turned around and gave him the appropriate 1-finger salute. Further down the road I'm waiting in the left turn lane, he goes by making a swerve toward me gesture. The lesson from this for me was, as much as we'd like to let these idiots know they impact (pun intended) others when they do s..t like this, they never think they do anything wrong and think you're the a..hole for reacting.

Ride safe, and don't let the d..kheads get to you!

My knee jerk reaction is vigilantism but if you let them now why they know who you are. If you don't let them know why they don't know what they've done wrong and can't correct their behavior. The only answer is to let them know why and then kill them, destroying all evidence. Not a good idea. Too many cameras around. I'm kidding.

The police can't catch all this crap. How many times have you wished you were a traffic cop but can't do squat because you aren't and driver reports aren't taken seriously.

I can understand unsubstantiated verbal reports being ignored but why can't a system be put into place where someone of good character can get charges laid when accompanied by dash cam or GoPro proof.

Ever notice how people behave better when there's a cop car around. What if they realized every car had that power?

Loud horns (often but not always) save lives, ... if you see them and hit the horn just as they're starting their dick move.

Had a guy do that to me yesterday when the car in front signaled and stopped to wait to turn left into a driveway from the inside lane. Guy swerved right in front of me in the outside lane. I had to squeeze over between him and a bus in a bus bay to avoid hitting him. I got in front and slowed down (no brake check), turned around and gave him the appropriate 1-finger salute. Further down the road I'm waiting in the left turn lane, he goes by making a swerve toward me gesture. The lesson from this for me was, as much as we'd like to let these idiots know they impact (pun intended) others when they do s..t like this, they never think they do anything wrong and think you're the a..hole for reacting.

Ride safe, and don't let the d..kheads get to you!

His mother told him he was the most important being in the universe. You have no right to insult his mother's opinion.

Sadly when something becomes embedded in one's personality it's hard to get them to willingly change. They will condescend to police or a larger vehicle (Sometimes) but you are, at best, an annoying bug on their windshield.

I would have chased him down!
For the first time in my life I did actually follow him and attempted a polite conversation (very unlike me, I know confrontation just ignites a situation). When he jumped out of his car, I asked him whether he saw me, he said yes -- but I was going to fast. I said thanks, put my lid back on -- all he had to say was 'go f&^k yourself'.

Maybe we should just post pics of their licence plates.

What a *********. I am gonna invest in a powerful airhorn now to scare the **** out of drivers.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I believe other drivers see cars as just cars and not a person on the road. And just another thing in their way. They unfortunately will learn this the hard way when they get into an accident.

Sent from the Moon!

Notwithstanding right-of-way, you have to replay this in your mind and ask yourself if you could have predicted the move. Possibly a car might move a little, be at an angle, or over to the side of a lane. Or perhaps a general understanding that drivers don't want to be queued in a stop with an open lane beside them.

Was your spidey-sense off today? Are you really upset not because of the driver's foolishness, but because you didn't see it coming?

If no indicators, then another data point to add this driver's characteristics / vehicle's characteristics into your prejuidice file. I mentioned at the lunch table the other day that I'm quite prejudiced towards some people, and my colleagues were shocked until I explained that I don't want to get killed or seriously injured when riding my motorcycle, so I have a list of cars and drivers that I am more suspicious-of.

On my way to the office I was travelling west on HWY7 between Birchmount and Warden. There are 2 regular lanes and an HOV lane, I was riding in the open HOV lane the other 2 lanes dead stop. Suddenly this tool in the middle darts from a stop into the HOV lane about 20 feet in front of me.

Scary.
A similar scenario on Hwy 403 recently where a car jumped into an HOV lane from a stand-still killed the motorcyclist who had been travelling in the HOV lane.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4278611/woman-dead-motorcycle-collision-hwy-403/
RIP.

Glad you came out of your HOV lane encounter unharmed.

Notwithstanding right-of-way, you have to replay this in your mind and ask yourself if you could have predicted the move. Possibly a car might move a little, be at an angle, or over to the side of a lane. Or perhaps a general understanding that drivers don't want to be queued in a stop with an open lane beside them.

Was your spidey-sense off today? Are you really upset not because of the driver's foolishness, but because you didn't see it coming?

If no indicators, then another data point to add this driver's characteristics / vehicle's characteristics into your prejuidice file. I mentioned at the lunch table the other day that I'm quite prejudiced towards some people, and my colleagues were shocked until I explained that I don't want to get killed or seriously injured when riding my motorcycle, so I have a list of cars and drivers that I am more suspicious-of.

Oh no! Don't ever let the fact that we're all prejudiced, every single one of us, out the the general public - it would devastate them, and they may never recover.

Oh no! Don't ever let the fact that we're all prejudiced, every single one of us, out the the general public - it would devastate them, and they may never recover.

But it's 2018 and we have to treat everybody equally.

Really sucks to hear that OP but glad you're okay though. GTA is always going to be full of idiots who should have never gotten into a car. I usually just honk and give them the "keep an eye out" gesture, then just move on. Sometimes it's tempting to go after them and start yelling/breaking mirrors but that wouldn't really accomplish anything. Everyone's out to kill you when you're riding unfortunately :/

We can do all the things we want to be more noticeable which will definitely help but there will always be that one guy who will never see you even if you're driving a cruise ship. In the end, it's best to keep all the interactions short and sweet.

I was fortunate and my spidey senses were right on - that's why I'm writing this from the comfort of my office -- not a hospital bed.

I've been doing this for a very long time, fortunately I've never crashed. I ride/drive through Markham every day which is basically a real life version of Grand Theft Auto, I have learned to never lose alertness and to try to anticipate everything. 1) I was running about 55 in a 70 zone because the 2 lanes of cars beside me were stopped. 2) I was running on the hump, not in the left track so rear view mirrors could see me AND so I'd have an both left or right swerve option. I took the left swerve and ended up looking into the idiot's driver side window instead of going head first through his rear window.

He didn't look. He didn't care. Fortunately I made it a bit safer for the idiot.

Last edited:
Jesus, glad to hear you came out of this encounter unscathed! I can certainly understand your feelings, and can't say I'm much different these days. I'm much like @JawnLee ; a honk, a look, and move on. I had someone try to jump out in front of me on Dundas the other day and he stopped when I honked, but he was so close to me the horn stayed on right past his open driver side window. When he passed me on the right again a minute or so later, he was laughing away with his passenger. I certainly wanted to do more than move on at that point.

Ride safe everyone!

Back
Top Bottom