Pannier advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pannier advice

loktup

I tried looking for an existing thread on this forum that talks about panniers (top case, side case,racks etc) but didnt find anything definitive. I'm currently trying to setup an 2014 Honda NC750X any advice as to what brand to look for and which to avoid? Also any advice on where to buy from. I looked on the Fortnine website but A: I couldn't find my specific model of bike and B: I dont really know what I am looking for. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

Thread moved.I just installed a rear rack on my Honda from SW Motech.Very high quality at a reasonable price.

Personally I would only look at top loading panniers. Side loading are a pain if you do not have everything bagged inside the pannier. When you open it all comes spilling out. Top loading also lets you cram more into it as you do not have to try and close while keeping everything in.

There are different manufacturers you look directly on their website. Touratech is a quality brand, not cheap, but good stuff:
https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Zega-Mundo-Pannier-System-Honda-NC700-750-X-S

Was going to say look at Bumont or Jesse but they do not seem to make cases for your bike.

I had a full set of Givi luggage on my Bandit for 8 years and LOVED them! The quality was excellent. I do agree with the statement about the top loaders being easier but if you go with the side loaders you get used to them pretty quickly. I generally used my panniers for stuff like clothes or rain gear that I wouldn't need to get at very often during a ride and used my top box (best thing ever on a bike!) for stuff I wanted to have easily at hand like camera gear, water, hat, etc. My E41's were big enough that I could stuff 2 helmets in one and my jacket in another which was great on day rides as I could put all my stuff away safe and not have to carry when I got off the bike.

If I could have I would have ordered the V35 side cases as they are more streamlined and fitted to the shape of the bike even though they were smaller than the E41's I had. (V46's weren't available for my Bandit) I loved my V46 top box so much that I got a new mounting plate for my ST and moved it over when I bought the bike!

I have both soft and hard luggage for my vfr
I have to top and side racks installed at all times, but normally only rock the top case. Sidecase/bags only when needed.
My racking is from Kappa, or at least it is compatible with kappa. I replaced the top mount topplate from kappa to my old topplate from givi, and use my givi there.
The hard kappa sidecases click on/off, so I tend to use them more often.
I only use the soft sidebags when things don’t fit in the hardcases, as they are easier to accommodate “open carry”.
Hardcases also double as seats if camping is your thing.
If you want to carry your home, you can:
Big top case, big side cases, soft luggage on top of the rear pillon, and big tank bag.

If you really need to cram shut a hard side case like givi/kappa, you can just click them off the bike (twist key, depress button, 15 seconds) and load them off the bike. They click back on in 5 seconds. Mine have retention straps, so they open up 90* and can function as a "not-flat" horizontal surface if required.

Last edited:
I have hard bags on 3 of my bikes, and soft on 2.

On my FJR I have factory bags. They are excellent, ease on and off, large and they come with inner bags that make loading easy. These are my favorites, the only downside is they are 'body plastics' so you have to treat them like body panels -- not luggage -- when you pull them off the bike.

On my DL I have SW MOTECH carriers and 110l worth of Hepco Becker hard top and sides. These are excellent too. They are roto molded so they are a bit more forgiving as -- luggage -- than what you will find on an FJR, Connie or ST1300.

I recently bought a set of soft bags from ali-express - AMU. They are absolutely awesome -- for $190 bucks delivered they are the best deal ever. I have used them on all my bikes, they are tough, like, waterproof and I don't have to treat them like furniture.

a big consideration is what type of riding you plan on doing
for on-highway only touring, Givi plastic luggage is hard to beat

any ADV intentions and you may want to look at something else

If you're looking to browse what fits your bike, Twisted Throttle has a good website that shows you options, brackets and prices.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-bike/honda/nc750x/top-cases_side-cases

You can see almost all the manufacturers discussed above: Givi, Hepco Baker, SW-Motech.

Touratech has its own website:

https://touratech-usa.com/Honda-NC700X-Parts?a=1

Pricey stuff, but if you're going to be going off-road and foresee the bike being on its side (or upside down) at some point, they make pretty durable, rugged stuff.

I have a full set of GIVI panniers along with the SW Motech quick release system. The SW hardware isn't friendly on the wallet, but it can be removed from the bike in a few seconds so I don't have to ride around with large ugly brackets when I don't have the panniers attached.

My favourite piece of luggage is the top case. My Givi E52 swallows a crap ton and will shortly be going onto it's fourth bike. For every day riding, it can't be beat. Even like it for touring. That E52 paired with a 60L duffle strapped to the back seat made for an awesome light weight, lowish budget touring setup. If budget is a factor, start with a top case.

A few thoughts on panniers

- Go hard, they're easier to put on and take off, waterproof, have more space, give you a sense of security etc. etc.
- Givi V35's are nice when paired with a PLXR rack. They don't stick out much, fit an ok amount, and the racks are easy to remove to give you a clean look. If you don't go ADV style, I would get these.
- ADV style boxes are the most practical. Top loading for easy access to stuff on the road. Can strap dry bags to the top for extra storage (awesome for camping). I think I've settled on the Givi Trekker Outback for my Tenere.

My favourite piece of luggage is the top case. My Givi E52 swallows a crap ton and will shortly be going onto it's fourth bike. For every day riding, it can't be beat. Even like it for touring. That E52 paired with a 60L duffle strapped to the back seat made for an awesome light weight, lowish budget touring setup. If budget is a factor, start with a top case.

- Go hard, they're easier to put on and take off, waterproof, have more space, give you a sense of security etc. etc.
- Givi V35's are nice when paired with a PLXR rack. They don't stick out much, fit an ok amount, and the racks are easy to remove to give you a clean look. If you don't go ADV style, I would get these.
- ADV style boxes are the most practical. Top loading for easy access to stuff on the road. Can strap dry bags to the top for extra storage (awesome for camping). I think I've settled on the Givi Trekker Outback for my Tenere.
I used to be a fan of hard bags, after revisiting soft I think I'm changing my mind. Soft bags have evolved alot in the last couple of years - the latest waterproof bags should not be overlooked. First, they are light -- you're going to save about 20lbs over the lightest hard bag setup. They are tough, they use the same textiles as circus tents, seams are welded, zippers waterproofed. They install easily and can be fit to virtually any bike (I have several bikes, my soft bags fit all of them). They stuff better than hard bags, the flexible sides let you stuff every cubic inch of the bags. Another thing I like is they come off easy and you don't need to treat them like furniture when you pull them off your bike. Also, if you're an ADV rider and you tip, you don't need a hammer to pound out your metal, or a garbage bag to bring home the stuff you had in your plastic panniers. Did I mention you can get a respectable 3 pcs set softbags with 100l of storage for less than $200 bucks? A 3 pcs set in aluminum or plastic starts at $1500 - a 3pc GIVI trekker setup will be about $2000.

Mad Mike - what soft bags did you get from Ali express?

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Look at online European sites for your luggage...even with postage and exchange it can work out a lot cheaper. The outlet section of Motostorm.it is worth browsing. I’ve bought assorted Givi bags from there in the past and saved hundreds.

I bought a set called AMU, paid I don't have any pics at the moment, my son borrowed them for a trip - when he gets back I post some pics.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AMU...b193-41fe-bd31-2b27b0732b5c&priceBeautifyAB=0

I paid $180 then spent about an extra 20 to get them in 2 weeks (instead of 60 days). They are not huge, 25l each side + 35l for the duffel style top, however they are adequate and they pack more than my 30l hard bags. My Hepco hard stuff is close to $2k, it holds a little more but not that much more!

Unless I was heading out for a trip of more than 2 weeks, I can manage with 85l in softbags. On my own I'd never have more than 85-100l of storage no matte how far or how long I'm on the road.

I bought a set called AMU, paid I don't have any pics at the moment, my son borrowed them for a trip - when he gets back I post some pics.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AMU...b193-41fe-bd31-2b27b0732b5c&priceBeautifyAB=0

I paid $180 then spent about an extra 20 to get them in 2 weeks (instead of 60 days). They are not huge, 25l each side + 35l for the duffel style top, however they are adequate and they pack more than my 30l hard bags. My Hepco hard stuff is close to $2k, it holds a little more but not that much more!

Unless I was heading out for a trip of more than 2 weeks, I can manage with 85l in softbags. On my own I'd never have more than 85-100l of storage no matte how far or how long I'm on the road.

Those look really good!

For me, I need 60L just for camping stuff. I have been known to overpack a bit here and there though.

My V-Strom setup for camping carried about 200L, between the panniers, two 30L dry bags, and 52L top case. Nice to have extra space, not have to cram everything in.

Those look really good!

For me, I need 60L just for camping stuff. I have been known to overpack a bit here and there though.

My V-Strom setup for camping carried about 200L, between the panniers, two 30L dry bags, and 52L top case. Nice to have extra space, not have to cram everything in.
Wow. The biggest pack I have ever done is 140l, that was on my Goldwing. That included 24 cans of beer, and my the top box was still empty... I could have loaded another 100 cans.

I can go anywhere with 100l of pack including camping gear.

Back
Top Bottom