Ram mount no match for Eglinton construction | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram mount no match for Eglinton construction

anterabae

Anyone who rides Eglinton eastbound through Warden beware, there's a nasty hole in the leftmost non-turning lane right at the intersection. My morning commute takes me east along Eglinton from O'Connor to just east of Warden. Normally I'm in the HOV lane, or I turn right on to Warden. This morning I was in the far lane and I didn't see the hole until it was too late; too busy paying attention to the traffic, especially after all the accidents lately.

Well, it was rough enough I was worried my front tire might be damaged (it's fine), and was going to take a look when I parked at the office (2 more blocks). Then I noticed I'd lost my phone signal; then I noticed I'd lost my phone. The jolt from the hole dislodged the phone from my Ram mount. That mount had kept the phone safe through plenty of movement, but sadly not today. I turned around and found my phone in the middle of the road, only to discover it was roadkill. :(

So yeah ... Eglinton construction: 1, Ram mount: 0
poY0O09.png

qdpuHoi.png

Don't people pay to have their phone look like that..:D
Funny enough I just drove the car on Eglinton...not fun, can't imagine with the bike.

FYI you can get a case style mount for RAM instead of the X squeeze holder, might be a better option.

Don't people pay to have their phone look like that..:D
Funny enough I just drove the car on Eglinton...not fun, can't imagine with the bike.

FYI you can get a case style mount for RAM instead of the X squeeze holder, might be a better option.
Ha maybe I can sell it as "stylish" or "distressed".

The more annoying part is I was just thinking last night I should see if there's an alternative that still lets me go as far north on O'Connor as possible while avoiding the ****show that is Eglinton right now.

Sent from my HTC One using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

X-Grip, no teather?

damn yeah i almost never use the silicon tether thing with my ram mount, even on highway. will now though!

I had my iPhone fall off 2 years ago in Quebec on a 90KPH stretch of road in Gatineau. I saw it happen in slow motion, tried to catch it, was unsuccessfull, somehow the charge cord held onto it and it was dangling down by my floorboard on the right hand side...and just as I went to reach down to snatch it I hit another bump and it disconnected and hit the road. Rest of the group behind me (I was leading the ride) dodged it and I pulled over. Ran back down the shoulder, could see phone sitting in the middle of the highway with cars whizzing over it. Found a break in traffic, ran out to grab it fully expecting the screen to be shattered at the very least.

The Otterbox it was in saved the day. Screen was perfectly fine, although the main camera (forward facing) was dead. Took it into Apple a few weeks later and they fixed it for free.

I see a lot of riders with their phones in these X mounts
is it primarily for navigation? or music?

my phone is always in a jacket pocket

other than those 2 possible uses
don't know why you'd want the thing on the bars?

Navigation. Waze or Google Maps depending on the situation.

I also have an oldschool GPS on my bars but it's basically relegated to being an emergency backup / fancy speedometer & trip meter. I do like it for the fact that I can hear it over the noise of the bike/wind/earplugs however, which is more than can be said for my phone.

Last edited:
I had my iPhone fall off 2 years ago in Quebec on a 90KPH stretch of road in Gatineau. I saw it happen in slow motion, tried to catch it, was unsuccessfull, somehow the charge cord held onto it and it was dangling down by my floorboard on the right hand side...and just as I went to reach down to snatch it I hit another bump and it disconnected and hit the road. Rest of the group behind me (I was leading the ride) dodged it and I pulled over. Ran back down the shoulder, could see phone sitting in the middle of the highway with cars whizzing over it. Found a break in traffic, ran out to grab it fully expecting the screen to be shattered at the very least.

The Otterbox it was in saved the day. Screen was perfectly fine, although the main camera (forward facing) was dead. Took it into Apple a few weeks later and they fixed it for free.
Oh man that's awesome! You answered my initial thought, after I stopped swearing too, "wonder how an Otterbox would have stood up".

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yeah, what PP said. I use it for navigation, plus knowing what kind of notification came in, so I know if I want to find a place to stop, or just keep riding.

@Javafan my speedo is small and the fact tha MPH is the main speed, kmh are even smaller, so I use my back up phone as a speedometer and I, like PP have a cheap regular gps for directions.....and yeah @PrivatePilot, much louder nav than my phone.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

@Javafan my speedo is small and the fact tha MPH is the main speed, kmh are even smaller, so I use my back up phone as a speedometer and I, like PP have a cheap regular gps for directions.....and yeah @PrivatePilot, much louder nav than my phone.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

so you listen for the turn by turn directions? interesting

I get the speedo thing, current bike, have to take the eyes off the road for that
my TomTom is much better for glancing at, and much more accurate for road speed

as I ride with ear plugs ~80% of the time, I don't use the audible turn directions
GPS is bluetoothed to the phone for traffic updates etc, works just fine while in my pocket

so I guess the main advantage is not needing or relying on a dedicated bike GPS
or wanting to see the notification icons, so you know to pull over to check in
I don't ever feel the need to check in while riding :)

mine is definitely for navigation. i'm horrible at directions.

I don't ever feel the need to check in while riding :)
Hahaha, yeah it's rare I'll pull over. The main one-when I'm playing photo tag and get a notification someone posted in that thread. Shout out to my fellow taggers!

so you listen for the turn by turn directions? interesting

I like to (well, sometimes, depending on if it's a leisure ride or an endurance ride) to plan routes that are off the beaten path, so I'll put in a bunch of waypoints that keep the GPS from saying "just take the 401" for example.

So yes, when one is in unfamiliar territory, especially if I'm leading a big ride somewhere with 5-10 other bikes behind me, I do rely a lot on the GPS to keep me on track - you don't want to be the one having to turn around a huge group of bikes in the middle of nowhere because you were concentrating on something else, lost your navigational concentration, and missed a turn.

Even when I'm riding alone or with just a single buddy I'll fire up the GPS - sometimes it's nice to be able to space out a little and enjoy the ride without having to constantly look at street signs and such to see where you are and not miss a turn. When you get close and the GPS pipes up...then I pay attention again.

Back
Top Bottom