American boycott | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

American boycott

Not boycotting, as I recently got bavk from a Miami trip, however, I feel like I don't explore my own country enough. Hell, I don't think that I explore the GTA enough.
People come from all over to see the CN Tower, Casa Loma, ROM etc....I haven't been to any of those in years

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I just "re-visited" Toronto a couple years again when I had some family in town visiting. I recommend anyone wanting to do the same look into getting CityPASS as it offers discounts on those attractions and more.

https://www.citypass.com/toronto

/endthreadjack

For many years I didn't go to the states because of their politics.
Now I go in spite of their politics.
I love traveling there - just would never want to live there.

Just got back from Americade in Lake George (Adirondacks) a few weeks back. Trip had been planned for about a year so obviously we weren't going to call it off, and yeah, we had fun. Needless to say NY isn't exactly prime Trumplandia to begin with but there were a few who saw our flags and gave us snark - the dividing tactics by their leadership (IE: USA is #1, every other country is trash, **** 'em) are clearly going to the head of some.

Had been planning to do the tail of the dragon etc in a few weeks. Trip kinda fell apart for other reasons, but have decided to avoid any discretionary trips to the USA for the time being as we are less and less appreciated there it seems, especially in red states.

I've started to change my shopping practices as well. Stopped buying Heinz Ketchup when they screwed Leamington..and then started buying French's when they came in, rescued it, and then moved a lot of their production here on top of it all. Bought "Made in germany" sauerkraut at the grocery store tonight vs the "Made in the USA" cheaper alternative on the shelf next to it. Not buying Hershey products at all anymore.

It's the little things.

A vibe from ones you meet or from forums etc?

I work with Americans every day in person. Believe me, Americans are all about Americans. They regard Canadians as foreigners and not necessarily friends, or brothers or all that jingoism we get from politicos up here. I was all over the U.S. a couple of years ago, met some fantastic people. Very friendly and helpful, but there are a lot who just plain don't like or trust Canadians. I don't know where the hostility is coming from, but it's there.

For many years I didn't go to the states because of their politics.
Now I go in spite of their politics.
I love traveling there - just would never want to live there.

There is certainly beautiful scenery and wonderful riding roads in northern Ontario - but try crawling through traffic to get there. Even the EDRs for the 400 and 410 are clogged on weekends and long weekends. I used to try leaving early on Fridays but now seems like the whole of the GTA does that too - lol. Then deal with the cottage country traffic once you get there. Also my sister and disabled brother-in-law live in PA so its going to take more than Trump to keep me from going there :)

I don't know where the hostility is coming from

Let me give you a little hint.

donald_trump.jpg

I work with Americans every day in person. Believe me, Americans are all about Americans. They regard Canadians as foreigners and not necessarily friends, or brothers or all that jingoism we get from politicos up here. I was all over the U.S. a couple of years ago, met some fantastic people. Very friendly and helpful, but there are a lot who just plain don't like or trust Canadians. I don't know where the hostility is coming from, but it's there.

A few years back in Obama days I was watching a US TV news program with discussion by known Americans. One person commented that while Obama was proud of being American he was no prouder of being American than an Italian was of being Italian. In other words Americans have more right to be proud than other people.

A minute later one person commented in passing about how Americans are generally disliked everywhere and there was absolutely no reaction. No astonishment, no "We have to do something". Water off a duck's back. They just kept nattering on about their state of affairs.

Americans have been brain washed by big business into believing that trickle down economics work. It is in the interests of big business that the general population doesn't know the truth. If the economic truth came out people might stop buying or at least buying on credit.

What worries me is that hell hath no fury like America scorned. Pardon the plagiarism.

Have you ever seen the rage of a credit card princess when her purchase is declined?

The garbage is only starting to stink and there's no place to dump it.

A few years back in Obama days I was watching a US TV news program with discussion by known Americans. One person commented that while Obama was proud of being American he was no prouder of being American than an Italian was of being Italian. In other words Americans have more right to be proud than other people.

A minute later one person commented in passing about how Americans are generally disliked everywhere and there was absolutely no reaction. No astonishment, no "We have to do something". Water off a duck's back. They just kept nattering on about their state of affairs.

Americans have been brain washed by big business into believing that trickle down economics work. It is in the interests of big business that the general population doesn't know the truth. If the economic truth came out people might stop buying or at least buying on credit.

What worries me is that hell hath no fury like America scorned. Pardon the plagiarism.

Have you ever seen the rage of a credit card princess when her purchase is declined?

The garbage is only starting to stink and there's no place to dump it.

Yes, I agree. But I think one of the things about Canadians that gets on American nerves is the arrogant liberals from here they run across. Ever tried to explain your dissenting point of view to a Canadian liberal? They're almost as bad as an American credit card princess. We have a lot to learn about ourselves here.

Yes, I agree. But I think one of the things about Canadians that gets on American nerves is the arrogant liberals from here they run across. Ever tried to explain your dissenting point of view to a Canadian liberal? They're almost as bad as an American credit card princess. We have a lot to learn about ourselves here.

Replace every itteration of the word "liberal" in your reply with "conservative", and the argument still works in US liberal states.

This is why I almost always avoid any political discussion when travelling, seldom does anything good come from the effort since the art of tactful discussion and politely "agreeing to disagree" is increasingly lost on a huge segment of the population who deem you an instant ******* if you don't share their political viewpoints.

There is a world of difference between a political "opinion" .....Carter was a good president, Mulroney sucked.

and facts.

Humans are warming the planet.

What conservatives here and the US are not short of is
"opinions"
what they are short of is "facts" and not keen to be confronted with them ...the dumpf in particular.

If you consider basing actions on facts as arrogant ....well good luck.

Last edited:
What conservatives here and the US are not short of is "opinions" what they are short of is "facts" and not keen to be confronted with them

^^ This.

Scary thing is how emboldened and empowered the anti-fact/anti-science/anti-reality crowd are becoming down there. Some of the stuff coming out of these groups of people (further emboldened by religion, and/or their interpretation of it, on top of it all) is just scary.

Exactly .....when the facts are agreed on ...then civil discourse is possible..

ie what to do about AGW ?? cap and trade, carbon tax, cope and mitigate instead of trying to roll back the clocks.??....there are lots of approaches with different costs to society.

No basis of fact? No basis of conversation and give and take, compromise

This is why 94% of senior US scientists are NOT republicans.

Right wingers want their opinions put on an equal footing ...."every body is entitled to an opinion" ....with the left ( and there are loonie left wingers as well - anti-vaxxers/anti-nuke for instance).

Opinions without a basis of fact are entirely useless.....society cannot move forward without endless strife....which we have now.

I still vacation in the US over the winter and just came back from a 3,200 km 6 day trip on the ST that took me through NY, PA, OH, WV, and MD. There are roads in OH, PA, and in particular WV, that just don't exist here in ON and for that reason I have no plans to stop travelling in the US.

Trump is an ugly phase the US is going through and I'm hopeful that the various ongoing investigations yield some serious consequences for Trump, his family and the various third rate hangers on that gravitate to him. As they say, "follow the money.........."

Yeah ...I will still travel by motorcycle through the eastern US - the roads are terrific.....what's odd is the states that vote red are too often the poorest dumps. :(

what's odd is the states that vote red are too often the poorest dumps. :(

The poor in America see themselves as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" (as John Steinbeck put it). They vote for the policies and laws that Republicans stand for because they see themselves benefiting from them one day when they finally attain their rightful place at the golden dining table.

Too shortsighted and maybe a bit too proud to admit that maybe these policies are the exact same ones that are keeping them down...

Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

Trump is an ugly phase the US is going through and I'm hopeful that the various ongoing investigations yield some serious consequences for Trump

If it does, and he's impeached, I fully expect the US to be crippled by weeks (or potentially months) of civil strife. There are people who legitimately think that he's done nothing wrong, never lies, is a "man of his word" and is basically the second coming of god. The Russia inquiry could have a 12 hour newscast stating all the evidence against him, basically say that he's an illegitimate president elected fraudulently...and his "base" would load up their AR15's, light their flaming pitchforks, and run into the streets screaming "FAKE NEWS!".

Because you know if Trump does take a fall from grace he'll be having a full on twitter ****-fit for years afterwards claiming his innocence and kicking the hornets nest.

There are people who despite the confirmation from all branches of US law enforcement saying otherwise) who think that Russia didn't interfere whatseover in the election, regardless of what the inquiry finds.

Trump could stand in front of a microphone this afternoon and state that the earth is flat and his base would then argue the point to their death...because whatever Trump says is the gospel - reality, facts, science and everything else be damned.

way this thread has gone reminds me of a situation a few years ago
spent the winter in Ecuador, between assignments, in a city called Cuenca
it has become a popular place for gringo retirees - mostly American

there's a popular sports bar frequented by gringos, I was there for the Super Bowl
was sharing a table with a few Americans that I knew, and a few that I did not
and one Canadian gal....she went to the restroom, and I guess the others didn't know I was Canadian
they ran her down with trash talk and then preceded to talk candidly about how they hated our smug attitudes
and what they called the fake Canadian we're so polite and considerate routine
was entertaining to hear for sure, so maybe most are like that, but just never say it to our faces

If it does, and he's impeached, I fully expect the US to be crippled by weeks (or potentially months) of civil strife.....

His replacement could be worse....
https://www.quora.com/What-would-a-Pence-presidency-look-like

http://www.newsweek.com/so-you-think-president-pence-would-be-better-trump-think-again-751099

"But no matter how you look at it, Mr Pence would most like increase the division that we have seen in the country, rather than trying to include all at the table. If you see people as sinners you do not feel you can compromise..."

If it does, and he's impeached, I fully expect the US to be crippled by weeks (or potentially months) of civil strife. There are people who legitimately think that he's done nothing wrong, never lies, is a "man of his word" and is basically the second coming of god. The Russia inquiry could have a 12 hour newscast stating all the evidence against him, basically say that he's an illegitimate president elected fraudulently...and his "base" would load up their AR15's, light their flaming pitchforks, and run into the streets screaming "FAKE NEWS!".

Because you know if Trump does take a fall from grace he'll be having a full on twitter ****-fit for years afterwards claiming his innocence and kicking the hornets nest.

There are people who despite the confirmation from all branches of US law enforcement saying otherwise) who think that Russia didn't interfere whatseover in the election, regardless of what the inquiry finds.

Trump could stand in front of a microphone this afternoon and state that the earth is flat and his base would then argue the point to their death...because whatever Trump says is the gospel - reality, facts, science and everything else be damned.
Yup, there's no soft exit from the Trump debacle. He could go live on air and read out a suicide note and shoot himself in the head and his base would call it a liberal conspiracy and take up arms.

I'm having a hard time imagining any scenario that doesn't end in another civil war, even if it's only small time guerilla warfare. There's just too many armed loons down there with too high an opinion of their own opinions.

Back
Top Bottom