American boycott | GTAMotorcycle.com

American boycott

jc100

This isn't a political shitfighting thread...although I could see that it might devolve into one...but is anyone boycotting travelling to the US due to recent developments in Trumplandia regarding tariffs etc?

My own thoughts are conflicted. I like Vermont, not really a Trump state, but at the same time I'm not that happy with the looming tariff situation. I like chatting to the people I meet when I travel in the US and they are generally all pretty decent people but again...there's the exchange rate situation too and that 25% premium we pay when we buy in $US.

I'm leaning towards staying in Canada and exploring a bit more of what we have to offer. A trip to Gaspe and the area and perhaps the James Bay rd.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that tariffs have ever worked.It's just political potstirring imho.

Thread title fixed

I've been boycotting the US since Trump was elected. As much as practical anyways. If I have to go there for work then I have to go.

Turns out avoiding US travel and US products isn't that hard.

Not boycotting, as I recently got bavk from a Miami trip, however, I feel like I don't explore my own country enough. Hell, I don't think that I explore the GTA enough.
People come from all over to see the CN Tower, Casa Loma, ROM etc....I haven't been to any of those in years

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I still enjoy traveling there, even Red States
will not affect any plans I may have
the tariffs and the buffoon are temporary
the friendship has too much history for any lasting damage

I'm heading to Alaska at some point this year.

p.s. We should think things through before we leap into a boycott of America.
Do we include South and Central America as well or just Canada, France, United States, Mexico and possibly Greenland i.e. North America?

Last edited:
I enjoy travelling to the US too. I don't enjoy the idiocy I'm seeing right now regarding policies. Besides...aren't we a national security threat?

I'm heading to Alaska at some point this year.

p.s. We should think things through before we leap into a boycott of America.
Do we include South and Central America as well or just Canada, France, United States, Mexico and possibly Greenland i.e. North America?

Why include those countries?

with the way our dollar is heading ...best stay home anyways. it's down almost 3% in a week and heading down further likely to .72 cents in the late fall from .75 now and .77 a week ago.

But even that could be conservative.

I saved $3400 Cdn in product costs scraping up $99k US last week before the drop.
Why that's a new bike son...

445216388.jpg

Last edited:
it's wise for anyone that does regular border hopping
to keep a USD account funded to not get hosed when you need to go

I was going to do a Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine run this summer. I decided with the current atmosphere not to go to the U.S. Nothing to do with boycotting them, I just get a bad vibe from the Americans these days. Beyond Trump, there seems to be a veiled streak of hostility toward Canadians among a lot of people down there. It just turns me off. I'm staying in Canada this year. Besides the exchange rate is a rip-off. I think I might do the Caribbean next year.

I was going to do a Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine run this summer. I decided with the current atmosphere not to go to the U.S. Nothing to do with boycotting them, I just get a bad vibe from the Americans these days. Beyond Trump, there seems to be a veiled streak of hostility toward Canadians among a lot of people down there. It just turns me off. I'm staying in Canada this year. Besides the exchange rate is a rip-off. I think I might do the Caribbean next year.

A vibe from ones you meet or from forums etc?

Ya our dollar sucks so saving +30% sounds good to me. We had it good for awhile. I doubt it will be back to par for a long time, if ever.

I try to avoid US stopovers when flying to/from elsewhere because having to go through US customs is a pain.

The currency situation doesn't make a US trip any more attractive ... but given that our company has some US invoices waiting to be paid which were calculated based on the exchange rate a few months ago, there should be a windfall bonus coming when they pay us in US$ and we do the conversion at today's exchange rate.

I had 2 trips to the US planned for this summer. One was a 3 day ride through PA and the other was an IBA Great Lakes Circle tour. Both are currently scrapped and being re-routed for in Canada rides. I could have stomached the tariff issue as from time to time Gov'ts are going to squabble over that and it always sorts itself out. I have cancelled due to the issue on their southern boarder. I can't in good conscience visit while this is going on.

So I am currently planning my all Ontario IBA ride. Peterborough, Ogdenburg, Petawawa, North Bay, Owen Sound, Guelph, Peterborough (just a rough outline) and my 3 day trip will probably be re-routed to the Laurentian mountains in Quebec.

Money wise travel there is a lot cheaper in face value so the 30% exchange brings it back to equal give or take a bit. I could suck that up.

Riding roads and scenery are closer to the GTA if you head south. A half day puts you in decent riding country there.

Political discussions are to be avoided. Play dumb. You don't follow the news. Don't tell them how to run their country.

I'm not sure how many things I can afford to boycott. I have a FB friend that is a boycott junkie. I get the impression that boycott junkies are vegans that live in subsidized housing.

There is something wrong with just about everything we do as humans. Where do we draw the line with participation? What do you call a person that doesn't wear Pacific rim clothing? ................................................ a nudist.

That said I minimize my US options but I'm not shooting my foot off.

Do I let T-rump dictate my choices by his bullying?

Back
Top Bottom