Council on notice for having bad policies? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Council on notice for having bad policies?

Maybe the average commuter should realize that 10km takes loosely 30 minutes on a bicycle. That gives you back 6.5% of your income and 2 days worth of your time. And might even make it cheaper on gym memberships and other related health costs.

But i guess that's a crrrraaaaaaaaaayyyyyyzy idea. And before people tell me it snows here, there's no such thing as too cold (in toronto) just not well dressed enough. I guess for the few days we have snow in Toronto, we can take transit or some other alternative method of transportation.

transport logistics for GTA should be world class
considering the entire province finances it

Just proves we do not get value for our tax dollars and all they do is recycle the same construction projects and don't actually improve anything (repair a bridge, repave a road rinse repeat). A lot of money is being funnelled into someones pockets and not the projects themselves.

Sent from the moon!

1.5 hours for 10 km? My god. What are people doing, taking a nap halfway through?
My 50km ride from Pickering to Pearson is 35-40 minutes.

1.5 hours for 10 km? My god. What are people doing, taking a nap halfway through?
My 50km ride from Pickering to Pearson is 35-40 minutes.

From Mississauga rd, on QEW in to Bay st takes me 40-55 minutes on average on the motorbike. And i'm real close to the highway. Anyone that lives further down west or north of qew will take at least 20 minutes more.

If i use transit all the way, its 1h on transit + 10 minute walk. If there aren't any delays.

I don't even wanna imagine how long it takes for anyone using the 401.

And finally on the bicycle it takes me anywhere between 1h to 1h15m.

And that's about 20-25 km. But then you also gotta consider that mississauga alone has a higher population than all of durham and it might explain the longer commute a little better.

I lived 8 km from work, on a good day it was 8-12 minutes, and on a bad one (Ex open), over an hour. I did bicycle for a while, before kids and when the kids were young, but it got too dangerous.
That took 20-40 minutes depending on how in shape I was, and how hard the wind was blowing.
TTC was a pretty consistent hour and ten minutes, unless there was a delay. It didn't seem to matter too much if I walked to the Subway or took the bus.
The rough part on the TTC was the transfer from East/West to North/South or the reverse, it always seemed to be packed during the rush hours.
Walking was around 2 hours, but seemed a bit of a pain.

You mean will they figure out we need more roads so we can fit all the cars?

There are different ways of figuring this out, depending who you speak to. That's part of the problem. I'm curious what your way is

They need an integrated plan for cars, trucks, buses, rail, TTC, taxis, motorcycles, e-bikes, bicycles, joggers, pedestrians and maybe even rollerblades/skateboards.

Or at least to not mess up the other sectors, if they concentrate on one.

What always amazed me about Toronto. A city with a real metropolitan population of about 6 million that only has one (1) continous highway running through it. At 7,8 and 9 o'clock everyone in that city jumps on that one highway to get to work. One guy stops to change a tire and everybody slows down to look. And...nobody can figure out what is wrong. That's stupid Ontario, full of stupid people. Infrastructure stupid and hockey stupid. Toronto nation.

They need an integrated plan for cars, trucks, buses, rail, TTC, taxis, motorcycles, e-bikes, bicycles, joggers, pedestrians and maybe even rollerblades/skateboards.

Or at least to not mess up the other sectors, if they concentrate on one.

I don't think they have a clue in this city or in Ontario. they tore down regent park only to rebuild it with the exact same infrastructure. It could have been a perfect opportunity to create the integrated plan you mentioned. But nope.

Sent from the moon!

What always amazed me about Toronto. A city with a real metropolitan population of about 6 million that only has one (1) continous highway running through it. At 7,8 and 9 o'clock everyone in that city jumps on that one highway to get to work. One guy stops to change a tire and everybody slows down to look. And...nobody can figure out what is wrong. That's stupid Ontario, full of stupid people. Infrastructure stupid and hockey stupid. Toronto nation.

it's not that uncommon
if you consider the city sprawls east-west with a body of water to the south

while a much smaller city, Ottawa has the same problem
except the water is to the north
LA, same thing, water to the west
NYC, gong show, water all around it

landlocked cities can build a series of ring roads - turnpikes
to alleviate this, TO is fooked

Took the TC downtown today, Dundas & University. After I was finished there I took a walk along Dundas to Bathurst where I waited for a streetcar to get me to Bloor. I ended up walking most of the way and was never passed by a streetcar. When one came along (Harbord St) It was packed like a sardine can. That's the better way?

Maybe it was in the 1920's. I don't understand Toronto's fixation with street cars.

Sent from the moon!

They're usually very efficient. The problem is the can't pass each other. If the first one gets slowed down by a traffic incident (Stupid cager) it gets over packed slowing entries and exit even more. The car behind might be half full but the SC can't leap frog like a bus.

They're usually very efficient. The problem is the can't pass each other. If the first one gets slowed down by a traffic incident (Stupid cager) it gets over packed slowing entries and exit even more. The car behind might be half full but the SC can't leap frog like a bus.

Huh you just contradicted yourself.

All it takes is someone waiting for a left turn in front of streetcar for the whole lane to be delayed. Never mind the other lane is probably full of parked cars...?? Ya this could happen with cars, bus, trucks, but they could move around the left turner.
I see no efficiently when something can't move or respond to a situation.

They disrupt traffic, they don't flow with it. At least a bus can move over or go around stuff, has options to keep moving.

It's not the 20's Toronto needs to move on with this $hite.

All it takes is someone waiting for a left turn in front of streetcar for the whole lane to be delayed. Never mind the other lane is probably full of parked cars...?? Ya this could happen with cars, bus, trucks, but they could move around the left turner.

They disrupt traffic, they don't flow with it. At least a bus can move over or go around stuff, has options to keep moving.

They move more people per hour than a car, M/C or bike therefore efficient. The one I eventually got on may have had 100 or more passengers. Imagine 100 SUV's each taking up space and not having anywhere to park when they got to a destination. There's lots not right about public transit (Manners, hygiene etc) but more cars on the road isn't the answer.

Now that I only need to go downtown once a year or so I suck it up and do a crossword puzzle, read a magazine.

They're more efficient in that they cost less to operate and maintain than buses. The biggest savings is that one driver can move 132 passengers in the smallest streetcar, while the same driver could only move 77 in the largest bus. Plus, because the streetcar runs on rails it's much easier to extend it and to electrify it, both of which pile on the savings.

It doesn't make sense to make the efficient people mover move out of the way of the inefficient people mover. Instead left turns should be banned, as they are in most city centres even without streetcars.

But that's 'war on the car' talk so we can't have that.

They're more efficient in that they cost less to operate and maintain than buses. The biggest savings is that one driver can move 132 passengers in the smallest streetcar, while the same driver could only move 77 in the largest bus. Plus, because the streetcar runs on rails it's much easier to extend it and to electrify it, both of which pile on the savings.

It doesn't make sense to make the efficient people mover move out of the way of the inefficient people mover. Instead left turns should be banned, as they are in most city centres even without streetcars.

But that's 'war on the car' talk so we can't have that.

You're comparing a crush streetcar load to an approximate load with that statement.

(1977-81 streetcar) "42–46 seated*,[SUP][1][/SUP] 132 crush load *during rebuilds 4 seats removed"

" Each bus has a capacity of 46 seated passengers and approximately 31 standing passengers."

"A crush load is a level of passenger loading in a transport vehicle which is so high that passengers are "crushed" against one another. It represents an extreme form of passenger loading, and normally considered to be representative of a system with serious capacity limitations.[SUP][1][/SUP] Crush loads result from too many passengers within a vehicle designed for a much smaller number. Crush loaded trains or buses are so heavily loaded that for most passengers physical contact with several other nearby passengers is impossible to avoid."

Some Ottawa buses have 83 seats, but I can't find standing room numbers, so there may be some room for bus improvements.

edit: I find it interesting that streetcar crush loads are listed, but bus crush loads are not.

Last edited:
Yes, crush load is the term used to compare maximum capacity. They didn't call it that for the bus site probably to avoid confusing their non-technical target audience. I doubt it's anything else.

Regardless, a small streetcar can fit way more people than a large bus.

Last edited:
Yes, crush load is the term used to compare maximum capacity. They didn't call it that for the bus site probably to avoid confusing their non-technical target audience. I doubt it's anything else.

Regardless, a small streetcar can fit way more people than a large bus.
I think Toronto's traffic problems are going to be there for a while. I have only seen one initiative that makes things better -- Tory's no parking stance.

Bike Lanes. Great idea, lousy implementation. Take every 3th street in the core, give cars 1 lane 1 way and leave the rest for bikes and public transit. Safer, less impact than taking a lane from every street, cyclists are never more than 1 block from a safe cycle route.

Join the transit systems. The GTA should have one transit operations - not 11. Their routes are inefficient, there is tons of duplication in administration, maintenance and overhead. Since they are all on the dole, unification this could save the province billions.

LRT/street cars. With the exception of dense urban centers where surface transportation is impossible, the GTA would benefit from a combo of express and milkrun LRTs. There is clear and open space from Niagara falls to Oshawa along the medians of the QEW/407/412/401. It's flat, there are tons of cloverleafs for parking and connection points to local transit. They could also replace the enormous bus lane allocations along roads like HWY 7 with LRTs. They are quicker and cheaper to build, cheaper to operate and they scale better than subways.

Back
Top Bottom