My Bad | GTAMotorcycle.com

My Bad

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A week or so back driving the cage I was getting onto the QEW. As I rounded the cloverleaf I made note of the traffic in general and although it was a bit busy it wasn't a worry, nothing of note.

As I got into the acceleration lane I was about to merge over into an active lane, signal, mirror check, all OK and then shoulder check and oops there's a motorcycle, possibly a SV 650 in blue. The rider wasn't doing anything wrong and there was lots of room. With a minor correction on my part we merged without anyone's shorts in a knot.

What bugs me is that as a rider I thought I would have been more vigilant of other bikes. A minor distraction was a discussion with a passenger.

So the message is that everyone can err and remember how small we look. Ride safe.

If im ever driving the car, im extra vigilant around other riders, just because I dont want to be "That guy"

When riding on the highway in the slow lane, I always adjust my speed to allow traffic entering the highway so there is lots of space to merge in front of me. Sometimes when it’s really busy, it may require me to speed up and let the vehicle merge behind me.

Always give yourself room to avoid a merging vehicle and plan for others not seeing you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True 'nuff....but as a rider I take the responsibility on myself to watch out and not count on "right of way" or cars paying attention. Still tickes me off, but I'm usually aware of their actions.

you thought that SMIDSY was just for clueless people with no attention span who couldn't drive?

Motorcyclists make better cagers. You saw the bike during a shoulder check, adjusted and merged without incident. Further, you saw it was closer than you'd like and assessed the cause.

Most drivers wouldn't have put any thought into lane-changing into a bike's path, let alone be worrying about an "incident" that happened a week ago.

I think you're fine.

Agreed. You were more vigilant....but still got distracted. "With a minor correction on my part we merged without anyone's shorts in a knot."...no worries then. Rider probably didn't even notice you.

Same here! Whenever i drive, i always try to give bikes extra space. That said, looking from a drivers perspective, its a good reminder that bikes really are much less noticeable and even as riders who are more attuned to looking out for bikes, its not always easy as the OP mentioned.

Something for all of us to keep in mind whenever riding near a cage! Never count on them seeing you. Always assume the worst and give yourself as much space as you can. Bit of an obvious point but reminders can be useful

Back
Top Bottom