TIL: solo riders are not allowed in the diamond lanes on the 400-series highways | GTAMotorcycle.com

TIL: solo riders are not allowed in the diamond lanes on the 400-series highways

DejaVu

You are correct. Only on city diamond lanes are bikes allowed solo. Even then there were a couple of stretches where you aren't allowed. That may have changed recently. Look up at the signs and if there is a MC icon, you are allowed. IIRC Eglington from around Yonge/Mt. Pleasant to Leslie eastbound was not allowed....though not sure the enforcement was that strict. ;)

The only other exception was down the DVP when the Pan Am games were on, bikes were allowed solo. Then again DVP is withing city limits.

Last edited:
The only other exception was down the DVP when the Pan Am games were on, bikes were allowed solo. Then again DVP is withing city limits.

Kind of a funny sidenote, but until the games, I always thought DVP/404 was synonymous, when in reality the DVP is technically the section below the 401 junction, and the 404 is the section north of it.

Why are motorcycles not allowed in diamond lanes on the highway? Wouldn't it be safer for everyone?

Because someone in the MTO doesn't want it. Many jurisdictions allow it, some don't. Matter of having someone in authority decide it's worth it.

Because someone in the MTO doesn't want it. Many jurisdictions allow it, some don't. Matter of having someone in authority decide it's worth it.
Well weed is legal now/soon which I never thought would happen so maybe filtering, diamond lanes, and lane-splitting will be legal!

Unfortunately not alowed...but on the flip flop I see SO MANY bikes in the HOV lane eastbound 403 every morning and I've never seen a bike pulled over. Heck, I was riding in the HOV lane with a Street Triple and Yamaha R3 this morning for about 3km then got paranoid and got out while the others kept ripping the beans.
Filtering would be nice if it was legalized, but I think if lane splitting was legalized it would be dangerous because people have been driving for so long and have never had to focus on bikes lane splitting.

did-someone-say-cake.jpg

Did someone say filter?
Just kidding. (Yes, I complete my filter in the 2-3 seconds it takes to change from red to green if I'm a car or two back and the first in line leaves a massive gap)

Unfortunately not alowed...but on the flip flop I see SO MANY bikes in the HOV lane eastbound 403 every morning and I've never seen a bike pulled over. Heck, I was riding in the HOV lane with a Street Triple and Yamaha R3 this morning for about 3km then got paranoid and got out while the others kept ripping the beans.
Filtering would be nice if it was legalized, but I think if lane splitting was legalized it would be dangerous because people have been driving for so long and have never had to focus on bikes lane splitting.
I agree. I take the HOV lane when traffic is stop-and-go because I was nearly crushed a few weeks ago on the 404. I'm always paranoid while doing it though, but like you I haven't seen or heard of a bike being pulled over for it. I also think "filtering" should be legalized. Completely stopped traffic, at a RED LIGHT, not just when the traffic slows on the highway.

solo rider should definitely be able to use HOV lane
it's the same ratio of the vehicle being used, or higher
than a car with 2 people in it

filtering and lane splitting, meh
I wouldn't do either if they were legal
cagers struggle with seeing us enough as it is

I posted a thread about this about a month ago, it seems there are many reports here of guys getting tickets for riding in HOV on 400 series

solo rider should definitely be able to use HOV lane
it's the same ratio of the vehicle being used, or higher
than a car with 2 people in it

filtering and lane splitting, meh
I wouldn't do either if they were legal
cagers struggle with seeing us enough as it is

It's not about ratios....green vehicles can run it with a single occupant. Electric bikes should be ok....when they get made.

It's not about ratios....green vehicles can run it with a single occupant. Electric bikes should be ok....when they get made.

Zero does not qualify for green plates, if they even exist for motorcycles yet.

Back
Top Bottom