Where's my clutch lever?!?! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where's my clutch lever?!?!

Excuse my ignorance but if in gear how does it coast?
Hit kill switch, coast to controlled stop using brakes as normal.

FWIW, also, the brakes on most vehicles (bikes included) can easily overpower an engine at idle power.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Not well at all

FWIW the brakes on any vehicle should be able to easily overpower the engine at full throttle (assuming you do it quickly and don't take it easy on the brakes as they will fade).

Try it some day. You’ll be surprised. A motorcycle in gear under deceleration with or without the kill switch / ignition toggled behave much the same. It’s only once you get under 10-15kph when you’d normally pull in the clutch that it can get herky jerky, but by then you get your feet down and ride it out - it’s manageable.

TBH I've had more than one "good" mechanic make big mistakes on my bikes... I probably just beat the odds and caught them all on a bad day, but it definitely spurred a desire to do as much as my own wrenching as possible to make sure the important stuff is done correctly

Breaking a clutch cable is not unheard of. It happens.

You guys that think losing use of the clutch is a life threatening occurrence might want to figure out what to do BEFORE it happens.

When I break a clutch cable, I say " Curse my luck", then drive home to fix it.
IF, and that's a big IF, you know how to shift a bike transmission correctly you don't need a clutch.

^ how do you deal with stop signs, red lights etc?
I guess stopping is not a big deal.....
to start off again, you just thumb the starter in 1st and go?

Happens especially off pavement/off road ...I've ridden out with a broken lever and nursed the ST1100 100 km with a barely there clutch ....the clutch cyclinder failed at a very inappropriate moment on a steep grade trying to turn around.

The ST went over right quick but it's designed to do that with minimum damage. Time the intersections ....rolling stops and synch the shifts. Finding neutral can be tricky and some bikes interlocks prevent starting without holding the clutch in....

Didn't know that some levers are designed with a break point so you at least have some lever to work with.

But really this case could have ended badly ..dealer should take 50% off your gear purchase

Last edited:
^ how do you deal with stop signs, red lights etc?
I guess stopping is not a big deal.....
to start off again, you just thumb the starter in 1st and go?

Roll up to the stop in neutral, then depending on what bike you're riding
Little bike: Run along side the bike to get it moving, then hop on and slam it in second.
Big bike: Rev it up a bit, slam it in first and ride the wheelie.

I can't think of a bike that the clutch interlock switch ISN'T on the lever.

An old dirt bike trick is to drill a small hole about a third of the way down the lever. Then when it falls on the lever it breaks at the hole, leaving you half a lever.
Some levers have a notch in the casting for the same end result.

Some bikes allow a start in neutral without the clutch pulled in - some bikes you just can't start without the clutch pulled in ...so you ride along VERY carefully...okay out in the boonies ...not so much in traffic....CAA is cheap.

lol is it a light bike, how about lean it way over on the foot peg until the rear wheel is off the ground, maybe use a curb for a little less lean angle, ... no wait, that sounds dangerous, I second the roadside assistance option.

I'd rather lose my throttle cable and rear brake, I think I can get by without those for a short while.

Gonna have to be the voice of dissent on this one and say that although the mechanic was at fault for sloppiness, it's up to the bike owner to also check his machine, especially after being serviced. Got your oil changed? Check it and see if there's oil in it. Clutch cable change? Check. Brakes replaced? Look them over and test them thoroughly.

We can all sit here and rag on the shop, and the tech, etc, but in the end you're only dealing with human beings and they make mistakes. It's not just the shop's job to do due diligence. Take responsibility yourself, it's your life.

Went to RC and tried on a RST 1 piece. Darn did it ever fit nice!! They declined the discount originally offered on the phone so I didn't get it. Matt is nice, but his dad is a jerk off.
I will never step a foot inside that place again. Brutal....

Gonna have to be the voice of dissent on this one and say that although the mechanic was at fault for sloppiness, it's up to the bike owner to also check his machine, especially after being serviced. Got your oil changed? Check it and see if there's oil in it. Clutch cable change? Check. Brakes replaced? Look them over and test them thoroughly.

We can all sit here and rag on the shop, and the tech, etc, but in the end you're only dealing with human beings and they make mistakes. It's not just the shop's job to do due diligence. Take responsibility yourself, it's your life.

Unfortunately this^^ is what you are forced to do... You can't ever assume the people you hire for a job are competent.
Ideally, when you PAY for a service it shouldn't be up to you as the PAYING client to have to check to see if the work you PAID for was done/done properly.
It happens all the f***ing time, especially when it comes to vehicular service/repair.
I understand that techs are under pressure to get work done and move jobs through the shop, but geebus... Forgetting to tighten bolts properly or forgetting to "button up" a machine..?
That's what driveway mechanics like me are supposed to do. Not something a trained/licensed mechanic should ever do.

Went to RC and tried on a RST 1 piece. Darn did it ever fit nice!! They declined the discount originally offered on the phone so I didn't get it. Matt is nice, but his dad is a jerk off.

Thats pretty horrible , from a customer service persepective.

They likely wanted to give you a discount on something to make you happy/make the mistake up to you so that you wouldn't tell the public of the mistake made. You know... They browse this forum too...

That being said, as others said, everyone makes mistakes - they're human too. I've caught minor and major mistakes made by 2 of 3 shops I've used (all well known). I have very little trust in others working on my bike now... Makes it difficult to figure out where to bring my bike for big maintenance jobs.

Back
Top Bottom