is it worht it getting a 1000cc SS for the street? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

is it worht it getting a 1000cc SS for the street?

V-twin gets you that useable punch off the line without winding out the engine.

But then they feel like dog **** on the higher revs. This is coming from someone that had an i4 and went to v-twin. I want my i4 back lol

油井緋色;2574647 said:
But then they feel like dog **** on the higher revs. This is coming from someone that had an i4 and went to v-twin. I want my i4 back lol

Aren't you on a V4?

I have a ZX10r and its a big pussy below 6k. :) IMHO, gobs of torque and a lot easier to ride slowly that a 600ss

Aren't you on a V4?

Old school RSV1000R. They're v-twins I believe. I think a V4 is just a v-twin with 2 more cylinders....somebody correct me if I am horribly wrong.

I have an R1M use it to commute once and a while never takin it to the track just a hooootttt to ride. I’m sure some people around me hate me , scare the crap out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

As everyone else here has already said, the supersports may not be the way to go. My litrebike doesn't take off until like 8000 rpm and I even geared it lower. By the time I hit 8000 rpm I've already doubled any legally posted speed limit.

I'd say the FZ09 is the way to go, but boy are they ugly as f. In that same class is the z900 from Kawi, and I had the opportunity to ride one of these a few weeks back. I'd take the z900 over the fz09 anyday!

I'd consider myself an adrenaline junkie too and share your desires! I can tell you right now I get ZERO rush from the supersports I owned. My gsxr and zx10r really do NOTHING for me and don't fill that void. You'll get bored fast.

My street legal dirtbikes on the otherhand (crf450x) or my crf450r racebike always get me so hyped up, even if ridden on the road.

(For what it's worth, this opinion is coming from someone who snowboards, races motocross, seadoos, kiteboarding...all that fun stuff)

I really don't think riding a supersport on the street will get you what you desire!! You really need to get something you can take off the street. Maybe consider something like the hypermotard from ducati or ktm superduke!! Or do what I do, and get a bunch of toys so you got all your basics covered!

Anyone that gets a rush from riding on a supersport on the street probably hasn't experienced any offroad or stunt riding.

Last edited:
As everyone else here has already said, the supersports may not be the way to go. My litrebike doesn't take off until like 8000 rpm and I even geared it lower. By the time I hit 8000 rpm I've already doubled any legally posted speed limit.

I'd say the FZ09 is the way to go, but boy are they ugly as f. In that same class is the z900 from Kawi, and I had the opportunity to ride one of these a few weeks back. I'd take the z900 over the fz09 anyday!

I'd consider myself an adrenaline junkie too and share your desires! I can tell you right now I get ZERO rush from the supersports I owned. My gsxr and zx10r really do NOTHING for me and don't fill that void. You'll get bored fast.

My street legal dirtbikes on the otherhand (crf450x) or my crf450r racebike always get me so hyped up, even if ridden on the road.

(For what it's worth, this opinion is coming from someone who snowboards, races motocross, seadoos, kiteboarding...all that fun stuff)

I really don't think riding a supersport on the street will get you what you desire!! You really need to get something you can take off the street. Maybe consider something like the hypermotard from ducati or ktm superduke!! Or do what I do, and get a bunch of toys so you got all your basics covered!

Anyone that gets a rush from riding on a supersport on the street probably hasn't experienced any offroad or stunt riding.

Agree with this! Dual sport or off road bikes, esp the supermoto ones on the street are a real joy to ride.

I'd wager a Husky 701 supermoto, even with the Lite X kit (for looks) installed, would be alot more fun around town, work, trips etc... Than a sport bike, just my 2 cents.

More mellow, engine is not as good but the suspension is a lot better.

There is no engine like the FZ/MT 09. Maybe the superduke would be the only step above it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

There's a new ST for '18

While they are quick, supersports are not designed for acceleration from a stop. While they generally have close-ratio gearboxes, first is usually very tall and produces terminal speeds nearing 140kph in some cases. These are designed for maximum utility on the track. They can be tricky to launch from a stop and rough around town at low RPM.

They're fast, to be sure, but I think there are bikes better suited to the street with more reasonable gearing and engines tuned for mid-range torque rather than high RPM power. Like an 1100cc naked... :)

Last edited:
Go to a race track or take up sky diving.

i know what you mean, except both track riding and skydiving involve a lot of preparation.

someone like me just need a fast accelerating bike to commute on. and there's no law stating that accelerating fast to speed limit is illegal.

i know what you mean, except both track riding and skydiving involve a lot of preparation.

someone like me just need a fast accelerating bike to commute on. and there's no law stating that accelerating fast to speed limit is illegal.

Do it in front of a cop and you'll likely be tagged with a stunting charge.

My kid and his friend who like to twist the throttle tried one of the litre go fast Honda's and came back and said what's the point of 130 in first gear.
They had much more fun on the 600.

I was really of the opinion that a litre bike was not needed but my CBF1000 changed my mind..light and superb torque curve ...detuned down from 170 HP for the Superbike version ( Fireblade ) ....it's so easy to ride around town but pulls like crazy from 3000 rpm.....

Accelerating stop to stop light gets old after while but a good rush from a machine doesn't.
Even in Pennsylvania where you can wind out...a 600SS would be more fun, lighter so it brakes faster etc.

Money no object ...the one litre bike I really admire is the BMW sleeper S1000xr

normal_1.jpg

The powerful, four-cylinder series motor delivers a huge 118 kW (165 hp) at 11,000 rpm and develops a maximum torque of 112 Nm at 9,250 rpm.
and 500 lb wet....

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/bike/adventure/s1000xr/s1000xr_overview.html

Given the seating position you will feel the acceleration big time and that's a serious torque number.

Really? That seems kind of vague..if your front wheel is down, and your under/at the speed limit, and your riding like your in control(no weird swerving etc) what can they charge you with?

Last i checked your rate of acceleration isnt breaking any laws unless your over the speed limit..At most he'll come over to see if he can book you for anything(license, registration, ownership) but hes just fishing hoping to get lucky

But accelerating to place yourself ahead of traffic is much safer than sitting in someone's blind spot. Just don't wheelie or drop the clutch at 5000 just to do it.

Really? That seems kind of vague..if your front wheel is down, and your under/at the speed limit, and your riding like your in control(no weird swerving etc) what can they charge you with?

Last i checked your rate of acceleration isnt breaking any laws unless your over the speed limit..At most he'll come over to see if he can book you for anything(license, registration, ownership) but hes just fishing hoping to get lucky

:shrug: The law is pretty vague and open to subjective opinion; standing on your pegs to cushion the impact of a pothole could result in a stunting charge (HTA172(3)(6)). You think a cop having a ****** day wouldn't chase down some guy racing away from a stop to 60kph in 0.6-seconds with a trumped-up street racing/stunting charge (e.g. he thinks you're in violation of HTA172(2)(2) and/or HTA172(2)(3)(ii)?

If the front wheel comes off the ground even a millimeter he's got you on a HTA172(3)(1). Accelerating a motorcycle rapidly away from a light can and often does easily loft the front wheel and/or give the appearance of "racing."

Such charges may not stand up if challenged in court but who wants to go through that and take the risk they'll uphold them?

I see you got a new logo, new bike?

Yes sir! Sold my '17 R6 because its a race bike with turn signals (used to be the only thing I cared about), uncomfortable after 45 mins, high insurance, and all the fun was way high up in the rev range that is impossible to access legally. Got me a '17 Z900 and looooooving it. Its super smooth, very comfortable, insurance is over $1000 less, and the torque is lots of fun whenever, wherever in the rev range! :)

:shrug: The law is pretty vague and open to subjective opinion; standing on your pegs to cushion the impact of a pothole could result in a stunting charge (HTA172(3)(6)). You think a cop having a ****** day wouldn't chase down some guy racing away from a stop to 60kph in 0.6-seconds with a trumped-up street racing/stunting charge (e.g. he thinks you're in violation of HTA172(2)(2) and/or HTA172(2)(3)(ii)?

If the front wheel comes off the ground even a millimeter he's got you on a HTA172(3)(1). Accelerating a motorcycle rapidly away from a light can and often does easily loft the front wheel and/or give the appearance of "racing."

Such charges may not stand up if challenged in court but who wants to go through that and take the risk they'll uphold them?

Dude has a point....

And considering some of us have been pulled over for literally no reason then let go....

=/

I have, however, purposely accelerated really fast (up to speed limit from a red light) in front of a cop to see if they'd react. They were nice, and left me alone.

Back
Top Bottom