is it worht it getting a 1000cc SS for the street? | GTAMotorcycle.com

is it worht it getting a 1000cc SS for the street?

motoride777

hi everyone, so... im pretty much a total adrenaline addict.

i googled some stats.
for example.
yamaha r1 0-100 is approx. 2.9 secs
yamaha r6 0-100 is approx. 3.1 secs

the different is very little so maybe its not really that worth it to spend the extra $$$ to get gain 0.2 secs?

also im just interested in the g-force from the acceleration. so i'm not going to ride 300kph on public roads. i still want to obey speed limits. its just the acceleration i'm interested in.

also, on the street i'm guessing the conditions won't always be perfect so realistically speaking, the 0-100 times will be a bit longer than the published numbers?

i googled some stats.
for example.

the different is very little so maybe its not really that worth it to spend the extra $$$ to get gain 0.2 secs?

also im just interested in the g-force from the acceleration. so i'm not going to ride 300kph on public roads. i still want to obey speed limits. its just the acceleration i'm interested in.

also, on the street i'm guessing the conditions won't always be perfect so realistically speaking, the 0-100 times will be a bit longer than the published numbers?

Go to a race track or take up sky diving.

Others can chime in on the veracity, but litrebikes should have better suspension components, which will make a difference in the pothole capital of Canada. They should also be better for low-rev loafing along in the zombie traffic we also host. As long as you can sensibly afford the bike and insurance AND have the proper riding skills, I don't see why the R1 wouldn't be more desirable. As TK observed, if it's adrenaline you're after...

If you are that concerned about numbers, I recommend getting a 1000 and taking it to the drag strip.
I would not recommend getting a SS if you are looking mainly for acceleration. Were you planning on buying used or new? If used I would look at a Triumph Speed Triple, and if new a Yamaha MT-10. You will be able to feel the acceleration at much lower rpm's, which will benefit on the street if you are going to obey speed limits.
Just my 2 cents

100-200k is the big difference, tough for a litre bike to accelerate from a stop without the front wheel coming up. Thats why modern litre bikes are geared so high in 1st gear.

Once you ride a litre, it's doubtful you'll go back to a 600. A litre bike is like a big old big block V8, torque is everywhere.

Check the insurance rates.

See? Brian P is basically the gold-pressed latinum seal of approval on GTAM.

If you want a litre bike and can afford it, you should get it. Don't let anyones opinion here stop you.

I ride a litre bike on the street and see no issues. In fact, I find it much more enjoyable than my previous ST ride. Much easier to handle, smooth acceleration, etc etc

Go to a race track or take up sky diving.

+1

SS bikes are so fast off the line you will be well above any legal speed limit in seconds. Get on the track where you get your adrenaline fill safely for you and those around. Public roads are not for your adrenaline needs.

Lite bikes for the street make no logical sense.

I have two of them.

Gotta echo this. Only got mine because it was ridiculously cheap from a friend. I was not planning to have a sport bike for street riding.

If you're after 0-100 acceleration, a liter or more (or even the GSXS 750, MT-09, etc.) standard/naked is more than enough. All the extras on supersports/superbikes are utterly wasted on the street.

Also, rmb, any supersport or superbike is tuned with a very strict "I'M CHARGING MY MEGA BUSTER" range in the revs. This, generally, starts at 8k rpm or higher (despite what people say about v-twins, they're the same...the effect is just not as profound, I own one). 8k RPM was close to 80km/h on my 750, and is around the same on my 1000. This is another big reason why SS/SBs are a waste on the street.

Last edited:
I have own a 600, a race gsxr1000 and if you are looking for acceleration and not top speed you need to go with a FZ09, it's a triple naked with all the power at the bottom and the most fun bike I have put a leg over.

A 600 or 1000 are useless for what you are looking for .

But you don't know until you know so I assume you already made up your mind and are just looking for validation.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

i googled some stats.
for example.

If you want the punch you in the guts and take your lunch money acceleration you need to be looking at nakeds. MT09/MT10(at this price point you could cross shop with the Tuono and S1000r), Z900/Z1000, CB1000R

If you want the punch you in the guts and take your lunch money acceleration you need to be looking at nakeds. MT09/MT10(at this price point you could cross shop with the Tuono and S1000r), Z900/Z1000, CB1000R

Fun Fact, FZ09/MT09 will edge an r1 0-60.

Or get a naked bike. A torque monster

Either way, torque = good

I have own a 600, a race gsxr1000 and if you are looking for acceleration and not top speed you need to go with a FZ09, it's a triple naked with all the power at the bottom and the most fun bike I have put a leg over.

In that vein, maybe also the GSXS-1000 naked or the MT-10. Also, I think triple naked is what CSI teams call skeletal remains.

Last edited:
Now that we're on the subject, anyone ridden a Speed Triple(1050cc)? How is it compared to the Fz 09? Is it as hard hitting and punchy as the Fz or more mellow?

Were you planning on buying used or new? If used I would look at a Triumph Speed Triple, and if new a Yamaha MT-10. You will be able to feel the acceleration at much lower rpm's, which will benefit on the street if you are going to obey speed limits.
Just my 2 cents

^This ^

When I was looking a few years ago, I remember seeing torque and power curves for the Ninja 1000 & Z1000 that were slightly better in the lower and mid range compared to a ZX10R. The ZX10R only blew those bikes away in the upper rev range, which you wouldn't really be able to use on the street anyway. Worth taking a look. Insurance would be better, at least on the Z. Some companies still confuse the Ninja with a ZX10R.

Now that we're on the subject, anyone ridden a Speed Triple(1050cc)? How is it compared to the Fz 09? Is it as hard hitting and punchy as the Fz or more mellow?
More mellow, engine is not as good but the suspension is a lot better.

There is no engine like the FZ/MT 09. Maybe the superduke would be the only step above it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I rode an r1 and a 600ss both are super fast but behave very predictable and proper and smooth..

If it’s pure acceleration and adrenaline that you are looking for then the bike you want is hypermotard 1100, (not the newer ones, the 1100 is only made the first 2 years). And if you want to get real crazy with it Put the Ducati racing ECU. And racing exhaust.. It will rip your arms out and the only complaint you will have is you never get the twist the throttle. :)

I took mine off the road this summer because it’s just too much acceleration for the city. You can’t even fart without gripping the tank with your legs that’s how sensitive the throttle is lolol

I am just keeping it as a novelty at this point not sure what to do ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the year of the R1, the new ones sound sexy and look kinda quirky, the older one's still look nice.

R6 meh....all look and sound the same.

Back
Top Bottom