Kitchen appliances | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchen appliances

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Replacing the kitchen appliances as part of a kitchen reno.

Anyone here use induction stove?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Replacing the kitchen appliances as part of a kitchen reno.

Anyone here use induction ovens?

Thoughts?

Induction oven or stove?

Induction stoves kick *** as long as no one is ever in your kitchen with a pacemaker. I am always slightly annoyed that you can buy individual induction elements (think omelette station at a buffet) for ~$100 but induction stoves are priced to the moon. They can't cost that much more to make, they are just marketed as premium and priced accordingly.

I've never heard of an induction oven.

didn't notice I wrote that, so yes induction stove.

There is a KitchenAid one that has a second baking compartment and yes they are pricey.

I've always liked gas but induction seems really great for the slob in me.

Are your pots and pans induction compatible?

verify the power requirements before you buy. make sure your existing feed can handle the power.

most induction cooktops Ive wired require 60amp feed. well above the typical 40amp line found in most homes.

good question about the pots - the kitchen aid stove comes with a full set. Most of our pots and pans are old and should just be donated away.

Will have to check if we can support 60amp - This stove we are looking at requires it.

i have a 120 volt induction hot plate and love it but wouldn't go with all induction because of the pots.

We bought an induction stove / range when we decided to upgrade the kitchen appliances a few years back.

You need compatible pots and pans etc to work with them which adds a layer of complication. I wanted to switch to gas but my wife wanted to stick with electric and she liked that these are supposed to be more efficient.

Not sure if we save any electricity with an induction but food sure does heat up fast and we are able to simmer foods better than we could with the older conventional style stove.

I would not hesitate to get another one. Ironically enough we went with an extended warranty which I hate to do (warranties seem to be a waste of money more often than not). The range has never caused one iota of trouble while the fancy fridge needed service and the pricey microwave barely lasted two years. Microwave was replaced with a cheapo LG model on a boxing day sale and the LG has been the best microwave I have ever owned by far. I used to swear by Panasonic microwaves but not anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We went to induction a couple of years ago from gas.The only thing i miss is my wok.Awesome appliance! The oven is really good too with quick steam clean and regular full clean as well as split oven feature.

We went to induction a couple of years ago from gas.The only thing i miss is my wok.Awesome appliance! The oven is really good too with quick steam clean and regular full clean as well as split oven feature.

Do you have to run a water line to the stove for this feature?

Do you have to run a water line to the stove for this feature?

No,you put a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom,press steam clean and wipe it out after.Very handy.

We changed to induction when I built my home 5 years ago. What others have said; check your pots and pans for compatibility. Many will have some iron in them and will work, but getting a set specifically designed for induction makes a world of difference. I got some T-Fal Ingenio ones from CT when they were on sale (you'd think they were made of gold given their starting price). I can cook eggs on 4.5 with them, or I need to be at 8 if i'm using a regular pan. Interesting about 60 amps vs 40; I don't think mine would care, it limits itself. If I try to put too many burners on high, it pulls one back a few notches. I don't think it can be told it has 60 amps to use.

My hotplate gets cranky when I try to flip things, the major drawback for me. What I like is that is if something is about to boil over the element instantly stops heating when you hit the off button. Conventional elements have a lot of residual heat.

If a magnet sticks to the bottom of your pot it "should" work fine. Many decent modern pots and pans have a 300 series inside (non-reactive), and aluminium base plate (or better yet cladding) to better conduct heat (aluminum is a really good heat conductor--better than stainless) sandwiched with a non-300 series (magnetic) on the outside (for induction or maybe just to save money....).

Any of these...
Actual copper -- forget it.
100% Aluminum (including teflon etc. coated) -- forget it
Anodized Aluminum -- forget it
Anodized Aluminum outside, stainless inside -- forget it
Copper coated Aluminum/stainless -- forget it
100% non-magnetic stainless -- forget it
Titanium (it was a thing for a while) -- forget it

Cast Iron -- Good
Magnetic Stainless base/outside -- Good.

Last edited:
Currently, I'm more into eating than cooking. I had a gas stove for about 10 years and really liked it.

I think we are going with the Kitchen Aid induction one and will just upgrade the electrics in the house.

It's amazing what kind of variety of kitchen appliances there are for households. You can get a fridge for $500 or $10,000+.

I switched from gas to induction last year. It seems to heat at little faster than the gas. Kitchen is definitely cooler b/c there is no spillover heat.
Old pans were all good. But most of the old pots didn't work with induction.
Biggest adjustment I had to make was dealing with the glass surface.
Glass looks nice and easy to wipe clean.
But I have to keep worrying about scratching it or cracking it. I try not to use my black cast iron on it, slowly switching to enameled on the outside cast iron. Stir fry with the wok I have to be very careful not to let it slam down onto the stove. I used to bounce pans off the gas stove without a worry.
Overall I'm happy with the switch.
I am keeping my eye out for a single gas burner unit that I can install beside the induction. Just b/c its out there and available.

I switched from gas to induction last year. It seems to heat at little faster than the gas. Kitchen is definitely cooler b/c there is no spillover heat.
Old pans were all good. But most of the old pots didn't work with induction.
Biggest adjustment I had to make was dealing with the glass surface.
Glass looks nice and easy to wipe clean.
But I have to keep worrying about scratching it or cracking it. I try not to use my black cast iron on it, slowly switching to enameled on the outside cast iron. Stir fry with the wok I have to be very careful not to let it slam down onto the stove. I used to bounce pans off the gas stove without a worry.
Overall I'm happy with the switch.
I am keeping my eye out for a single gas burner unit that I can install beside the induction. Just b/c its out there and available.

Would it be easier to do the other way around?
https://www.amazon.ca/Secura-8100MC...+Portable+Induction+Cooktop+Countertop+Burner

What do you people do with your old appliances?

Mine are in great shape and work perfectly. Standard sizes and all white.

I'm thinking to just donate them to the ReStore.

Back
Top Bottom