scarp/junk yard (broken car) | GTAMotorcycle.com

scarp/junk yard (broken car)

justride

how much can you get for your broken car at the scarp yard in the GTA. What things should one do in order to get most out of a bad sitution. thanks.

how much can you get for your broken car at the scarp yard in the GTA. What things should one do in order to get most out of a bad sitution. thanks.

$150-$250 last I checked if you drive it there. If you need to have it towed there your best bet in that scenario is to donate it to something like Kidney Car and get a tax receipt worth more. The alternative is you pay for the tow and you might end up with little or nothing when it's all said and done.

What's the "bad situation"?

If it's an in-demand car you can always part out what's left of it. In demand vehicles are almost always worth more in the sum of their parts vs sending the whole car directly to scrap....where the scrapyard parts it out and makes the profit.

Unless you need $100 cash, donate it and take the tax receipt which will be worth more.

https://www.kars4kids.org/en-ca/

I don't know anything about the above link, just hear it on the radio all the time. I scrapped my mother's 89 grand marquis and got $150 for it after an argument (I had taken all the sellable parts off it already). He only agreed to pay because that was what he quoted over the phone after I told him the car wasn't 'complete'. I actually thought that was decent of him...lol

I got $500 for a Chrysler Pacifica a few years ago. Mechanic called a few shops for the best price, said he was going to get $300...tow truck shows up, gets the car, I sign over the ownership, and he hands me $500. Very happy.

As for the kars4kids.org and the like, do your research to see how much they actually give to the charity. I was reading an article / story somewhere recently where some give like 1-5% of the actual scrap value and pocket the rest.

One-eight- seven- seven kars 4 kids
K-A-R-S kars 4 kids
One-eight- seven- seven kars 4 kids
Donate your car today

...well that will be in all our heads tonight

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

To get the max out of a beater it has to be conditioned. All fluids drained , no battery or tires. The tow trucks go in with the car on two wheels and remove them on site. Some sites only handle conditioned cars.

I'm out of touch with the tax credit stuff. How much $$ does a receipt for $500 get you eventually?

OP What is a bad situation. Parting the car out is the best situation if there are desirable parts and you have the facilities. I paid a wrecker $550 for a sliding door from an Uplander, what they would have paid for the whole car.

In the recent past I got $300 for a Huyndai Accent that I drove into the wreckers. Next one was a Saab 9-3 (first gen) that I stripped all the parts off of it I wanted (sensors, turbo, etc.) that fit our other Saab and called one of the guys that come and get it, they gave me $100 (did not care if it was running, just scrap metal to them) and they took it away with an old tow truck, no muss no fuss).

So in short, about $300 if you drive it to a wrecker and around $100 if someone comes and gets it. Never tried the charity route.

To get the max out of a beater it has to be conditioned. All fluids drained , no battery or tires. The tow trucks go in with the car on two wheels and remove them on site. Some sites only handle conditioned cars.

I'm out of touch with the tax credit stuff. How much $$ does a receipt for $500 get you eventually?

OP What is a bad situation. Parting the car out is the best situation if there are desirable parts and you have the facilities. I paid a wrecker $550 for a sliding door from an Uplander, what they would have paid for the whole car.[/Q
I have a 2005 CRV with close to 300,000 km on it. When I was trying to replace an oil pressure sensor I must use to much force and basically broke a piece of the engine completely off.

Just wondering, what options I have, sell as is on kijii to a mechanic, sell to the wreackers in conditioned status and part out what I can........ Guess there are only two options.
Good thing my wife can walk to work and kids are out of school but gonna have a get a rental in next few days.

CRV should still be worth it for parts.

Had a 10 yr old minivan with 150k kms, just ran enough to get to a local dealer. Traded it in for someone buying a new car and the dealer gave $500 as trade in. I bought the person's old car, less $500. :)

@justride wondering if your crv and my pilot share any parts? Specifically I'm looking for the interior door light cover and some seatbelt bolt covers

We gave our old one to the Fire Department to practice on with the jaws of life.

You should see some of the old cars that are getting pulled out of fields and appear to be headed for restoration on flatbed trucks!
Most are so badly deteriorated that they are barely identifiable.
:I bet they didn't get them for a couple hundred dollars.

Joe, what do the kids do with the cars?

There is a place in Scarborough that imports engines by the container. Mostly Japanese brands. They offer a guarantee from what I recall. My dad had an engine swapped for a VW Jetta (pre defeat device era) for $1500.00. I can't recall the name of the place but can find out if you are interested.

I was with my dad when he picked up the car, they had hundreds of Honda, Toyota and Mazda engines.

I have a 2005 CRV with close to 300,000 km on it. When I was trying to replace an oil pressure sensor I must use to much force and basically broke a piece of the engine completely off.

Just wondering, what options I have, sell as is on kijii to a mechanic, sell to the wreackers in conditioned status and part out what I can........ Guess there are only two options.
Good thing my wife can walk to work and kids are out of school but gonna have a get a rental in next few days.[/QUOTE]

If you were a gearhead you could probably pick up a collision CRV, take the needed parts and sell the un-needed. Get yours running for a couple of hundred dollars. It depends on how much you like wrenching and your tool / skill situation.

One curse of older vehicles is that you have a certain confidence in the one you have. You could buy something of similar value but is it worse that your existing problem?

@trials my understanding is that the $ goes to help children's charities. But I've never looked to deeply into it.

Back
Top Bottom