Anyone interested in a James Bay Road trip? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone interested in a James Bay Road trip?

Hey @jeff96 it would be cool if you could share your trip write up.

I would be interested in a trip like this.

Anyone that is thinking of going up the JBR this season this might be of interest to you:

[FONT=&quot]For the moment the road was repaved on different sector:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 20 to 35[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 50 to 68[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 74 to 88[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 144 to 200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In june he will have 2 big project of paving:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 88 to 144[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] Km 200 to 272

I got this from the James Bay Development Society

So possibly approx. 134kms of gravel/construction, on the first half of the road. [/FONT]

Fark.

Well, looks like I may be favouring July then...

I’m good nearly anytime but I’d like to try camping too. I have a single can of bear spray plus I’m British and don’t taste good.

If I must I will sleep in a place with real walls, floor and roof.

Hey Jeff, have they finished repaving the JBR yet? Looked like a lot of gravel on your trip.
Did this trip 5 years ago, heading back up in June with 4 or 5 others. Was hoping for a less frost heaved trip.
Beats me. I enjoyed the north road so much I wound up taking it back. So I never did see the southern part of the highway. Another rider told me that there was a gnarly construction stretch north of Matagami, but I'm sure that section was completed.
There's going to be lots of dips and frost heaves. I don't think there was any gravel riding on the JBH except the few miles between Chisasabe and the boat launch

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I got this from the James Bay Development Society

So possibly approx. 134kms of gravel/construction, on the first half of the road. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Can you post a link to where this is detailed? I could find reference to the company that won the bid for the job, but not the exact details thereof. What I did find sounded like it was a combination of culvert replacement (which should be only minor disruptions for a short distance) and grinding/resurfacing some sections, so not any full-on gravel.

In hindsight, I don't care about a little construction or even crappy road surfaces (most of those distances are pretty short anyways, the 144 to 200 would be my bigger concern depending on exactly *what* they're doing and if it's that entire stretch, of just sections thereof?) so long as it's not going to be a situation where they are stopping traffic completely for long periods or anything. I ride on gravel, I ride on ground asphalt....whatever. I just hate sitting still.

As for camping vs motels, I'm game (I enjoy it and have the gear), but the bear thing is in the back of my head. I used to camp a lot, have seen issues there before. It changes your perspective.

Can you post a link to where this is detailed? I could find reference to the company that won the bid for the job, but not the exact details thereof. What I did find sounded like it was a combination of culvert replacement (which should be only minor disruptions for a short distance) and grinding/resurfacing some sections, so not any full-on gravel.

In hindsight, I don't care about a little construction or even crappy road surfaces (most of those distances are pretty short anyways, the 144 to 200 would be my bigger concern depending on exactly *what* they're doing and if it's that entire stretch, of just sections thereof?) so long as it's not going to be a situation where they are stopping traffic completely for long periods or anything. I ride on gravel, I ride on ground asphalt....whatever. I just hate sitting still.

I emailed Joey and asked if the repaving had been completed.

This is the full reply, in which, Joey states, "questions will be answered with pleasur", so you may be able to get some more answers.

Hi,

For the moment the road was repaved on different sector:
·Km 20 to 35
·Km 50 to 68
·Km 74 to 88
·Km 144 to 200

In june he will have 2 big project of paving:
·Km 88 to 144
·Km 200 to 272

If you need more information, hi will answer with pleasur.

Joey Thériault-Gagnon
Surintendant de la Division routes

Last edited:
Got it, thanks - I'll email for some further info once I have a better idea what I end up with for vacation.

A few questions:

1) What are the proposed dates?
2) What is the proposed average speed for the James Bay road portion of the trip -- ADV (130ish) or ST (>160ish if possible)?
3) Are small arms permitted in QC for wildlife protection? My bear spray is a M&P45 which is blind eyed in Northern Ontario -- not sure about QC.

Who are you protecting the wildlife from?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Have never made the trip, not sure whether bears are an issue. I would be protecting me from bears, maybe wolves if I found myself isolated and unable to motor on. I have a particular fear of wolves... stems from a childhood encounter.

I suppose if you have food around the camp, you could have a bear problem.
I just cooked my meal and moved on to sleep further along the road.
Families live there year after year. They don't go walking around with a gun on their belt
The frost heaves in the highway can be pretty impressive. 130 to 160? The ravens are the wildlife you should be worried about. They're the only ones who will find you when you hit a frost heave at that speed

Last edited:
ravens. lmao ty for the hearty laugh.

for anyone making the trip- I would bring a compact rod/reel -and stop for a stretch - at some river and stream crossing bridges...

and no see em mesh jacket/ head protection.

Last edited:
1) What are the proposed dates?[/quote}

See earlier comments..nothing firm yet, but favouring July at this point.

2) What is the proposed average speed for the James Bay road portion of the trip -- ADV (130ish) or ST (>160ish if possible)?

I ride a cruiser, not a SS or ST, so in the interest of fuel economy (a very important consideration for anyone riding the JBR), safety (I've read plenty about the frost heaves and wildlife roadside), and enjoyment (the relaxation/enjoyability level of any ride is inversely proportional to the speed you're riding at beyond a certain limit) I anticipate probably 130-ish tops. In addition to the above, any more than that and I'm going to need to bring a 25L jerry can of fuel instead of just my 15L can in order to be able to safely manage the 363KM stretch without fuel with a safety margin to spare, and I really don't want to have to lug a jerry can that big the entire trip.

3) Are small arms permitted in QC for wildlife protection? My bear spray is a M&P45 which is blind eyed in Northern Ontario -- not sure about QC.

I have no plans to bring any firearms nor do I feel the need or desire for such.

for anyone making the trip- I would bring a compact rod/reel -and stop for a stretch - at some river and stream crossing bridges...

I'm an endurance guy. Don't get me wrong, I'll stop and smell the roses for a few minutes at things worth stopping and seeing, but pulling out gear and doing something like fishing isn't in the cards for me, nor do I plan on (for this trip at least) bringing cooking gear and all the sorts of things necessary to clean and cook game on the roadside. ;)

I've done this trip twice including a trip to the end of the trans taiga for the 10$ a gallon gas. Camped all the way. We ate in camp and were not particularly careful with the food. Never saw a bear. (plenty of bear scat though)
The frost heaves were not too bad on the last trip but that was on a KLR so maybe I just didn't notice them as much as when I ran it on my FZ6.

Back
Top Bottom