Anyone interested in a James Bay Road trip? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone interested in a James Bay Road trip?

Fairly sure that the inlet isn't actually Nunavut however - the technical border is at the James Bay tide line.

If you look on Gmap ...and beleive it ...the border tracks across several land points this is on the north side

https://goo.gl/maps/Z1agZ8Bf6Km

but whether that track can be done on a motorcycle ....iffy

If you look on Gmap ...and beleive it ...the border tracks across several land points this is on the north side

https://goo.gl/maps/Z1agZ8Bf6Km

but whether that track can be done on a motorcycle ....iffy

Don't believe Google Maps, it's border demarcations are not accurate up there...or many places, for that matter.

There was much debate on this exact topic (exactly where the Nunavut border lies) and when I contacted the government and got details & some government maps (which unfortunately I've misplaced the link to now) it was confirmed that the actual provincial/territorial border is the James Bay tide line where it meets Quebec.

So, for those who ride to the westernmost part of Chisasibi and touch the water, you're in Nunavut. That's a big part of the allure of the trip for me.

Most vehicles built after the late 90's or early 2000's do not inherently have an issue with alcohol/ethanol - they were built with seals and such that can tolerate it.

The bigger underlying issue with ethanol is phase separation. It's a long story, but Google will yield all sorts of info.

Phase separation is only an issue if the fuel is left standing for long periods unused. It can be made worse by damp (think: marine) or high temperature swing (IE, a garage that gets a lot of sun and heats up) environments, the latter again only being an issue if the fuel sits for long periods.

Phase separation does become a bigger issue when the fuel is left to sit, as mentioned - this is why things like lawnmowers, gas weed eaters, chainsaws etc (that sit all winter) have an issue with it, and vice versa - snowblowers that sit all summer, etc.

That all having been said, for an avid motorcycle rider that rides regularly and burns a tank of gas at least every few weeks, it's not an issue. At the END of the season however, it is - you don't want a tank full of ethanol fuel sitting in your bike all winter as phase separation can certainly occur - the resulting water will cause far more issues than the alcohol itself natively.

In short, I run ethanol fuel in my bike just fine. It rarely sits more than 24/48 hours without me riding it, and a tank of gas lasts as little as a few hours at best, to a week at worst.

FWIW it does NOT like premium fuel - fuel economy goes in the toilet (I lose over 50KM of range) and there's no measurable benefits whatsoever (to the contrary the poorer mileage) so aside from the last tank of the season I use regular.

Lastly, not all premium fuel is ethanol free anymore. Most has it, actually. Canadian Tire and a few other retailers are the only remaining sources for ethanol free premium.
Phase separation does not impact small storage tanks, and it isn't an issue for our climate. If you own a gasoline storage facility in the near south it may be of concern to you. .

The major issues with Ethanol and small motors are:

1) Small engine carbs are susceptible to corrosion, ethanol and the moisture it holds contribute to corrosion and blockages in small carb passages. Ethanol is also a solvent, it will degum varnish residues lift in fuel lines and bowls, these turn gummy and clog small carbs.
2) Ethanol itself is a solvent and a drying agent. It prematurely dries and cracks rubber seals and hoses. Most car and bikes built after 2000 won't suffer many ethanol related issues - earlier bikes will.
3) Ethanol generates extra heat. Not generally a problem for water cooled bikes -- can cause issues with small displacement air cooled engines.

There are a few more problems with lesser consequences.

So, for those who ride to the westernmost part of Chisasibi and touch the water, you're in Nunavut. That's a big part of the allure of the trip for me.

I await your report ...that's the road that was fresh rocks when we were there a few years ago. Just not rideable safely .... obviously was a base layer for another couple of finer layers.....I've heard of the same technique in Alaska in their construction zones....
Butt clencher for one Stromtrooper last year tho he made it through, then took a corner too wide and highsided in the soft shoulder ( he says inattention on his part ) ....rode home some 4k miles with several broken ribs, taped windscreen and various other indignities to rider and bike.

Good read.

I am curious how you gain reliable information on gas stations up north. Location, if they are open, and hours. I have heard basecamp is not always up to date on these things. Not sure about google maps, what other sources are there?

Recently been riding up in and around Halliburton Kawartha lakes area, and you can go far without seeing gas stations, or they are permanently closed out of business, or these mom and pop ones only work limited hours. So it become fill up now not later.

I too want to head way north in Ontario, Thunder bay, Elliot Lake, Sudbury etc. I know these places with have fuel, but in between who knows.

I am curious how you gain reliable information on gas stations up north. Location, if they are open, and hours. I have heard basecamp is not always up to date on these things. Not sure about google maps, what other sources are there?

Recently been riding up in and around Halliburton Kawartha lakes area, and you can go far without seeing gas stations, or they are permanently closed out of business, or these mom and pop ones only work limited hours. So it become fill up now not later.

I too want to head way north in Ontario, Thunder bay, Elliot Lake, Sudbury etc. I know these places with have fuel, but in between who knows.

Theres a website with information on for James Bay riders that Macdoc posted. It’s pretty good...also those gastations in that area are necessities not optional mom and pop places. They are needed for industry not just tourism...although the hunting industry is sometimes tourism too I guess.

This is the perfect time of year, long daylight

Theres a few zero degree C nights the next few days. 2nd/3rd week of August is looking good for me although I do have a week free starting end of next week. I just ordered a bug hat too :p

Theres a website with information on for James Bay riders that Macdoc posted. It’s pretty good...also those gastations in that area are necessities not optional mom and pop places. They are needed for industry not just tourism...although the hunting industry is sometimes tourism too I guess.

hmm will have to go back in the thread to find it. Thx

To bad you can't get to James bay within Ontario by land (not rail)

Sent from the moon!

This is the perfect time of year, long daylight

I know.

My idea was to head up to thunder bay. Never been that far. doing the route along the edge of superior. Then do a different route on the way back. Then from Thunder bay head straight north to pickle lake area, just to see.

Anyhow I haven't been able to research anything nor have had time to setup the bike with more cargo space etc. I have a tour pak I want to attach.

I was thinking to do this kind of trip in July. but with these delays might not happen. Could try for Aug if I can section off the time. It might just turn into a few days trip to some other place up there.

Sent from the moon!

round trip from TO it's ~ 3,000 km
would be 4 solid days in the saddle
I've done it
6 days would allow some time to stop and smell

Thx. I think the 6 days would be more appealing I don't want to just rush by everything just for the sake of doing it. Plus if I can swing it dip down to Milwaukee to the real HD mothership just because it is the 115 anniversary.

Sent from the Moon!

There are some nice areas on the south side along Lake Superior ( Michigan Peninsula )

Here are pics - same loop shown on the map.

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/superior-loop-june-2017

In Michigan the Tunnel of Trees is a nice diversion on the east shore of Lake Michigan - around Petoskey

Mellow riding through forests

If you want to extend...then do part of the Grand Algoma Tour...

https://www.algomacountry.com/touring/motorcycle/grand-algoma-tour/

grand-algoma-tour-motorcycle-1.jpg

Just cut off the Trans-Can before Sault Ste Marie and head to Chapleau.

I did that loop this time of year to avoid the heat in the GTA.

Cool Tstorms in the area

miyeiiejirzi0QhDHgIG3NY83eGJ9ojxZYAFdWkySXOoKAVPVvELYTFYoZXfVvHiu2pZ-1xCKljyq5i3effyWQRP3V9TxDIPeyc113Q_uGQas7G_sluQdMuEIucOyu6aZIMHkZzpNvwbzRPhCLY4uFmtm4vBtz2AjAWcMAuYsjaIG2bTsojIV-naGhEH-J4FUN-P519hg63IuG_OGOwVWSCGUk_bc6Eg3r-ksQrXQevH6w9qT8FHbuZIOX_pWkh2r-b3SEdUJOJ6Vbo9U-U8Ut_Prg5pdSZKPykN8gl1ohGBBJswhxuYmX0ReI9R9NWUIhwFj5e3QL1TITPNfpkR8kFXFgt6rkP-s6-bqzdahUoeHN9QwKDm3D8cA-vJdwfxvFJIESoaQxEqhAapDNScdWZT0saM_r9u9ykMoMVUiQrRV9hxFBUfOpdwgVEl4b_FloDU01SjE32j2Myw5tdBKAygZX7GKJf7aXqbG1sQCbtefBs8sYgdvapU40yk_LTZYOu8XnSxknhHPJ2FPsM_hYWOXEE-Tq_FHJAMbhW-9TxBKvFRbuwqfVztSOsiZRQr23NJI06qM2wacQoSBA6OzCYd4VCYOMGo5RqNrTBF=w1308-h738-no

When all else fails, get the phone number and call and confirm they are open, hours, and fuel availability..but as mentioned, when you get into more remote territory stations become more of a utilitarian essential service vs mom and pop places.

But, all that said, there's a reason I carry a jerry can of fuel when travelling remote territory. Have never needed it, but it's cheap insurance...and if you break down somewhere remote it's also going to be useful for starting a fire to stay warm.

This was from a trip last summer. All the rest of my luggage was left at our base camp that day, but the fuel came along.

vtxarctic.jpg

My idea was to head up to thunder bay. Never been that far. doing the route along the edge of superior. Then do a different route on the way back. Then from Thunder bay head straight north to pickle lake area, just to see.

Anyhow I haven't been able to research anything nor have had time to setup the bike with more cargo space etc.
This might help: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...eport-North-Shore-of-Lake-Superior-and-beyond

James Bay in mid-summer sounds like a good trip.

2nd/3rd week of August is looking good for me although I do have a week free starting end of next week.

Bummer the schedules don't mesh. I'm off from July 7 thru Jully 23'rd and an pretty much free to do this trip at any point during that time window.

I am willing to stretch it out to 5 days to lower the daily mileage if it's difference between someone being interested in tagging along with me, or not. Although I love endurance riding and high mileage days, I know they're not for everyone. At a 5 day trip the longest day is around 875KM, so probably 10 hour days.

I would do something like this then
around the same distance
and another ferry ride
a bike trip should include them whenever possible!

There are some nice areas on the south side along Lake Superior ( Michigan Peninsula )

Here are pics - same loop shown on the map.

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/superior-loop-june-2017

In Michigan the Tunnel of Trees is a nice diversion on the east shore of Lake Michigan - around Petoskey

Mellow riding through forests

If you want to extend...then do part of the Grand Algoma Tour...

https://www.algomacountry.com/touring/motorcycle/grand-algoma-tour/

Just cut off the Trans-Can before Sault Ste Marie and head to Chapleau.

I did that loop this time of year to avoid the heat in the GTA.

Cool Tstorms in the area

Knowing how I ride, and any time I can be near the water I will get as close as possible, I find is quite enjoyable, and like the view.
I would do something like this:
But returning possibly back up to Sault Ste Marie. The extra ferry ride could be interesting.... but so would more riding!! :D

Of course the image dosn't want to show.... basically a Duluth I would stay next to the lake up to copper harbor, then back down to Oshkosh, them Milwauke, out of there along Lake Michigan to the point, back down and around to return to SS Marie.

lakesuperior%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom