It's not the track....don't bunch up. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

It's not the track....don't bunch up.

kamen1.jpg

is faster than Rossi and any MotoGP rider. #KameRider4Ever

For me riding the street is ALL about the chicken strips...never had them and never never did my butt leave the seat to lean off UNLESS totally necessary. Its actually easier to scrub those puppies. I laugh with glee watching noobs or wannabees exaggerated leanoffs causing chaos in multi corners leaning one way then the other. Meanwhile I am calm in my seat countersteering which lowers that front end dropping it and tossing the bike in the corner picking my lines to scrub that front chicky.
Those numnuts in that video cant ride for beans and should not document stupidity.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2574354 said:
I think you know more than 90% of the posters here....

To add: motorcycles are also inherently more stable when up right due to a larger contact patch and physics. So there is nothing wrong with hanging off like a monkey, even if it results in you completely up right and making a tiny right turn. Might as well practice the body position anyway lol

I thought MC tires were round?

I agree, don't follow too closely.

I thought MC tires were round?

I agree, don't follow too closely.

Read Total Control, Twist of the Wrist, or take the Sharp Advanced Riding course, Racer 5, or FAST for a more in-depth explaination. I'm gonna do it point form because this is wordy-lengthy otherwise:

Rider + Bike + Straight + Gravity = Force goes straight down to the ground, contact patch increases

Crossed up rider + bike + turning = Conflicting forces between rider (going straight down), and motorcycle (going side ways). These forces do not cancel out and result in an increased lean angle. Also, contact patch is decreased relative to the first example. This results in overall less traction than going straight. This is why jerky movements involving brakes or throttle while leaned over are far more likely to induce traction loss and crashing. This works for dirt; because I have zero knowledge of how to ride fast on dirt, somebody more competent at dirt should explain why this works as I have no idea.

Hanging off rider + bike + turning = Rider is actually in motion with bike now. Force is going in the same direction as bike as well (read up on centrifugal forces and how they work). Less conflicting forces = less lean angle required = more contact patch = more traction

Last edited:
油井緋色;2574615 said:
Read Total Control, Twist of the Wrist, or take the Sharp Advanced Riding course, Racer 5, or FAST for a more in-depth explaination. I'm gonna do it point form because this is wordy-lengthy otherwise:

Rider + Bike + Straight + Gravity = Force goes straight down to the ground, contact patch increases

Crossed up rider + bike + turning = Conflicting forces between rider (going straight down), and motorcycle (going side ways). These forces do not cancel out and result in an increased lean angle. Also, contact patch is decreased relative to the first example. This results in overall less traction than going straight. This is why jerky movements involving brakes or throttle while leaned over are far more likely to induce traction loss and crashing. This works for dirt; because I have zero knowledge of how to ride fast on dirt, somebody more competent at dirt should explain why this works as I have no idea.

Hanging off rider + bike + turning = Rider is actually in motion with bike now. Force is going in the same direction as bike as well (read up on centrifugal forces and how they work). Less conflicting forces = less lean angle required = more contact patch = more traction

Well the first problem with your logic is that on a motorcycle tire the contact patch size increases in size as you lean, until you reach about 45 degrees with modern tires.
You are ignoring the geometry of the suspension, the suspension action, center of gravity, the shape of the tire... I could go on....
You actually have very little traction traveling in a straight line, perpendicular to the road surface.

This stuff you should have learned in your vast experience of riding in a "high performance setting", but hey, thanks for the bunny with a waffle.

For me riding the street is ALL about the chicken strips...never had them and never never did my butt leave the seat to lean off UNLESS totally necessary. Its actually easier to scrub those puppies. I laugh with glee watching noobs or wannabees exaggerated leanoffs causing chaos in multi corners leaning one way then the other. Meanwhile I am calm in my seat countersteering which lowers that front end dropping it and tossing the bike in the corner picking my lines to scrub that front chicky.
Those numnuts in that video cant ride for beans and should not document stupidity.

So what if you're leaned over to the edge of your tire, and you find that the blind corner you're on has a decreasing radius, or an oncoming car starts to drift over the line, or there's a dead raccoon on your line, and you need to counter steer a little more to tighten it up? If you're hanging off and have 5 degrees less lean, you've got that extra 5 degrees of safety margin to play with. Without it, you lowside.

Take a track day course and then see if you still think the same. No point in repeating others about bike lean and amount of contact patch. Maintaining a safe margin of error while working on increased corner speed is more of a concern to me than the size of my chicken strips. Think of leaning off properly as a way to improve your traction and therefore safety, so long as you don't put yourself so far out that you aren't able to react to an unknown around the corner.

Oh yeah, and don't bunch up. Give yourself time to react.

Last edited:
Does this thread need to be in tt? It's summertime,go ride and be nice.

Well the first problem with your logic is that on a motorcycle tire the contact patch size increases in size as you lean, until you reach about 45 degrees with modern tires.
You are ignoring the geometry of the suspension, the suspension action, center of gravity, the shape of the tire... I could go on....
You actually have very little traction traveling in a straight line, perpendicular to the road surface.

This stuff you should have learned in your vast experience of riding in a "high performance setting", but hey, thanks for the bunny with a waffle.

Go on, please point out exactly what I wrote wrong and why those missing bits of information would refute anything I said involving traction.

Also, please avoid using logical fallacies such as the red herring fallacy that you just did.

P.S. Contact patch requires weight. Weight is affected by force. Figure out how this works and you'll understand why the contact patch would decrease as you lean over.

My first lesson from that would be: Don't ride with idiots.

Watch the guy on the KTM. Hanging off the bike like Randy Mamola... for no particular reason other than he knew there was cameras on him so he wanted to look cool.

He planted his knee and lifted the rear wheel.
What a tool!

I'm not a track guy so I'm no expert, but I saw this video and thought Wtf is he doing, do all track guys look that ridiculous? His body was leaning farther than he was even taking his bike...

If that is what guys at the track do, then I'll stick to my motocross racing because that is just foolish lol

I'm not a track guy so I'm no expert, but I saw this video and thought Wtf is he doing, do all track guys look that ridiculous? His body was leaning farther than he was even taking his bike...

If that is what guys at the track do, then I'll stick to my motocross racing because that is just foolish lol

Yes, the fastest guys including the crazy MotoGP and WSBK riders are not on the bike at all. Though those guys end up tucking body parts in but the weight shift is similar.

I have no clue how the hell you motocross guys do it tbh lol I've seen a few motocross dudes at track days in red group riding motocross style with the tires screeching....it is very impressive.

Well said!!

油井緋色;2574645 said:
Yes, the fastest guys including the crazy MotoGP and WSBK riders are not on the bike at all. Though those guys end up tucking body parts in but the weight shift is similar.

I have no clue how the hell you motocross guys do it tbh lol I've seen a few motocross dudes at track days in red group riding motocross style with the tires screeching....it is very impressive.

I hear ya! I have tons of respect for all pro athletes and no doubt if they are hanging off the bike they are doing so for a specific reason. But I mean, this video contains no pros and there is certainly no reason to hang off the bike like that.

Even when I ride street now I see riders I'm riding with hanging off on the off ramps. Ridiculous really, theres no reason my bike won't lean just as far as them and I don't have to hang off anything to do it!

The point of my rant: If you're hanging off your bike on the street (regardless of your skill), you look like an idiot :/

That said, if people see me ride my streetbike they probably think I look ridiculous too, I'm that guy with my foot out on my supersport when making u-turns in parking lots LOL (offroad habits are incredibly tough to break!). But I used to offroad my GSXR...no issues! :D

Last edited:
I hear ya! I have tons of respect for all pro athletes and no doubt if they are hanging off the bike they are doing so for a specific reason. But I mean, this video contains no pros and there is certainly no reason to hang off the bike like that.

Even when I ride street now I see riders I'm riding with hanging off on the off ramps. Ridiculous really, theres no reason my bike won't lean just as far as them and I don't have to hang off anything to do it!

The point of my rant: If you're hanging off your bike on the street (regardless of your skill), you look like an idiot :/

Like I said to someone else earlier....I enjoy looking like an idiot lol

Though there are objective reasons why leaning off should be done; the reasons are not profound enough to make the difference between a crash and not crashing except in extreme edge cases.

油井緋色;2574643 said:
please point out exactly what I wrote wrong

Here are the parts you said that are wrong:

油井緋色;2574643 said:
P.S. Contact patch requires weight. Weight is affected by force. Figure out how this works and you'll understand why the contact patch would decrease as you lean over.

油井緋色;2574615 said:

Crossed up rider + bike + turning = Conflicting forces between rider (going straight down), and motorcycle (going side ways). These forces do not cancel out and result in an increased lean angle. Also, contact patch is decreased relative to the first example.

Contact patch is not decreased when you are leaned over. In fact, it is the opposite - up to 45 degrees. Here is a good picture showing the footprint of the tire at various lean angles, taken from an article from Inside Motorcycles (a Canadian publication to boot!):

2pp0rqs.jpg

Here is the original article: http://www.insidemotorcycles.com/blogs/item/544-static-and-dynamic-trail-the-subtleties.html

In a follow-up article, it is succinctly stated:

The picture from my previous blog shows how the contact patch changes with lean angle. When the bike is upright, the patch is a nicely shaped oval and it’s fairly obvious that an equivalent point can be placed in the center of the oval. When the motorcycle leans over, a tire with a round profile retains that contact patch shape right to the very edge of the tread. Most tire manufacturers, however, design front tires with at least some triangular shape. This promotes quick steering and puts more rubber on the ground when the bike is leaned over - the contact patch widens and begins to lose that nice oval shape.

Thanks @Lightcycle for the clarification. I didn't know that and was using traction and contact patch as interchangeable terms.

I am, however, still fairly convinced that there is more traction up right than banked over. Clearly my point wasn't illustrated due to my own errors.

I am, however, still fairly convinced that there is more traction up right than banked over.

Depends on the profile of the tire so the contact patch could be sizable as above.
But you have lateral forces acting when banked so that automatically costs you traction. Even if the contact patch was the same the traction would be less.

Physics on a tire at speed and on an angle is mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom