It's not the track....don't bunch up.

there's nothing feminine or pussy like
spending a couple of weeks or more
doing 1,000 km days in a safe manner
and seeing half a continent

it is irresponsible to ride above your skill level on public roads
keep your learning sessions to a closed course

I'd rather avoid a head-on with a gixxer nob working on his form

My understanding is, the quicker your riding, the harder you have to turn aka more lean angle. And the real reason to drag knee is to reduce as much lean of the bike as possible by hanging off as much as you can so the bike can stay as upright as possible

The real reason to get your knee down is not to reduce the lean angle of the bike. It's a gauge to determine how far the bike is leaned over so you don't run out of tire.

You can shift your bodyweight towards the inside of the turn far enough to reduce lean angle *without* having to point your knee down towards the pavement when you're street riding.

Heck, if you're tall enough, you can get your knee down in a parking lot going 30 km/h with the bike leaned over at 15 degrees. Always funny following a StreetRossi on a twisty road climbing all over his bike trying to get their knee down while their bike is pretty much vertical...

Getting your knee down is meaningless as an indicator of speed. Even body positioning can be compromised when you try to get your knee down but your upper body is all crossed up.

And when you get fast enough (on the track), you're actually figuring out how to get your knee *out of the way* to get more lean angle out of the bike.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2574362 said:
I see nothing wrong with it if done in a condition where no one can get hurt except the one pushing.

And if you're going to tell me this is wrong, then so is smoking, getting fat, not going to school, being stupid, and voting for Trump.......wait wrong country.

In the OP video it wasn’t a single rider accident and I think that’s the entire theme of this post. If you want to wear your bike as elaborate earrings in some Art Deco sculpture with a lamppost at 3am at night on a deserted road then that’s between you and whoever you think is or is not your maker.

Crashed twice on ice on the street when I was young and dumb....lesson learned = don’t ride on ice...don’t ride like a loon on the street. What did you learn?

I'm glad you compensate for your lack of masculinity by behaving like a kid on the street. I don’t feel I need to do that. ;)

Edit. Also learned to wear all the gear...school uniform pants with ripped
knees were never trendy.

I have a 3 page google docs with reflections on my crashes over the years. Here are some interesting/humours ones:

4. High side off, mosport rdt, broken collarbone
Do not race others at a trackday, focus on yourself. Keep your finger away from the front brake at all times after committing trail braking is done (you were post apex). Keep a reasonable pace increase after each session, don’t go full retard constantly, both body and mind cannot sustain this.

5. Low side, hwy 7 404 ramp
Do not ever ride while emo/rageful/****** off again.

7. Ran off track at Shannonville during the double apex left (2nd apex)
I was very tired; should have gone home. My mind wandered for a split second. I really need to respect myself. Do not push when you are tired.

In the OP video it wasn’t a single rider accident and I think that’s the entire theme of this post. If you want to wear your bike as elaborate earrings in some Art Deco sculpture with a lamppost at 3am at night on a deserted road then that’s between you and whoever you think is or is not your maker.

Do not ever go to the track then. My buddy rammed into my ex at the track for similar reasons. I've also witnessed two guys run off because one was trying to overtake the other, and the one in front lost focus for a split second and went lawn mowing.

The risk you are talking about exists also on track as well. If you choose to ride with riders that are going to push and want to bunch up, there are consequences.

Last edited:
The real reason to get your knee down is not to reduce the lean angle of the bike. It's a gauge to determine how far the bike is leaned over so you don't run out of tire.

You can shift your bodyweight towards the inside of the turn far enough to reduce lean angle *without* having to point your knee down towards the pavement when you're street riding.

Heck, if you're tall enough, you can get your knee down in a parking lot going 30 km/h with the bike leaned over at 15 degrees. Always funny following a StreetRossi on a twisty road climbing all over his bike trying to get their knee down while their bike is pretty much vertical...

Getting your knee down is meaningless as an indicator of speed. Even body positioning can be compromised when you try to get your knee down but your upper body is all crossed up.

And when you get fast enough (on the track), you're actually figuring out how to get your knee *out of the way* to get more lean angle out of the bike.

I'm pretty sure it's for both reasons, but using your knee to gauge comes after developing enough skill to reduce your lean angle consistently without thought.

It's not coincidence that MotoGP riding styles went from upright half *** off seat, to full *** off seat and elbow dragging. When the rider gets off the center of mass gets shifted. Now somebody with a physics major will be able to explain this better, but this effectively lets you carry more speed with less angle. The fastest riders I've met (and nearly everyone in MotoGP or WSBK) all have ridiculously aggressive body positions for that reason. This is an objective reason that works within the laws of physics and has been reiterated through countless technical riding books.

The knee comes after.

Now if we're talking about just sticking knee out..........well, I'm short as **** so my *** have to come off the bike to drag knee anyway lol

油井緋色;2574378 said:
I'm pretty sure it's for both reasons, but using your knee to gauge comes after developing enough skill to reduce your lean angle consistently without thought.lol

Whether your knee is pointing to the ground or tucked up to your body has negligible effect on the lean angle of the bike. The more important elements are getting your butt off the seat and sticking your chin on the handlebar (hyperbole for effect).

Whether your knee is pointing to the ground or tucked up to your body has negligible effect on the lean angle of the bike. The more important elements are getting your butt off the seat and sticking your chin on the handlebar (hyperbole for effect).

I completely agree. I think the reason why I took your post with different context is that I forgot most of you are significantly taller than me. For me, dragging knee implies my entire *** is off the seat.

油井緋色;2574373 said:
I have a 3 page google docs with reflections on my crashes over the years. Here are some interesting/humours ones:

4. High side off, mosport rdt, broken collarbone
Do not race others at a trackday, focus on yourself. Keep your finger away from the front brake at all times after committing trail braking is done (you were post apex). Keep a reasonable pace increase after each session, don’t go full retard constantly, both body and mind cannot sustain this.

5. Low side, hwy 7 404 ramp
Do not ever ride while emo/rageful/****** off again.

7. Ran off track at Shannonville during the double apex left (2nd apex)
I was very tired; should have gone home. My mind wandered for a split second. I really need to respect myself. Do not push when you are tired.

Do not ever go to the track then. My buddy rammed into my ex at the track for similar reasons. I've also witnessed two guys run off because one was trying to overtake the other, and the one in front lost focus for a split second and went lawn mowing.

The risk you are talking about exists also on track as well. If you choose to ride with riders that are going to push and want to bunch up, there are consequences.

1. I have no desire to go to the track.
2. If people are riding like they are on the track on the street in front of me then I’m going to avoid the idiots.

Exactly, I'm not skilled enough to use my knee as a measuring stick. But I am intelligent enough to know that the more you lean, the thinner the razors edge, and the smaller the margin of error.

You can indeed reduce lean angle without ever moving off the bike(I like to kiss the mirror while bending my elbow) Keeping both *** cheeks on the seat, while also reducing lean angle

I would LOVE to do track days/advanced riding school as soon as I have more disposable income.

I should have been more specific, when I say get knee down, I mean Hanging off the bike

Last edited:
You can indeed reduce lean angle without ever moving off the bike(I like to kiss the mirror while bending my elbow) Keeping both *** cheeks on the seat, while also reducing lean angle.

I would argue that moving the upper body only on the street is a safer way to reduce your lean angle than climbing all over your bike like a monkey.

Shifting your butt all the way over as if you're on the track is a committed riding position and compromises your ability to make sudden changes in direction in the event a car, dog or kid runs out in front of you. Fine on the track when stuff like that doesn't happen, but when you're on the street there's no reason to do that.

Plus you look like an idiot when you're reaching for the ground with your knee and your bike is almost vertical. Tires and body parts will allow most bikes to lean 45 degrees plus on the street. Use it.

Last edited:
Plus you look like an idiot when you're reaching for the ground with your knee and your bike is almost vertical. Tires and body parts will let most bike lean 45 degrees plus on the street. Use it.

What if I like looking like an idiot? Don't judge me!

All these arguments about whether you should lean or drag knee or not. Some enjoy a safe and leisurely cruise in the country side, some like to go more wild and enjoy life on the edge (no pun intended).. Some go to a vineyard and brunch for the weekend, some go bungee jumping and jump off planes. People are built different. That's all
Also, there is nothing wrong with dragging a knee and enjoying a nice curve as long as youre not putting anyone else in danger. Check the road first, make sure there's no gravel or dirt. Then drop the knee and enjoy life!

In this video, the guy in front was not putting anyones life in danger but their own since the road was curing in, pushing him only into the outside and not into the oncoming traffic. Worst case, he would hurt himself real bad on the guardrails. The only life that was being put in danger was his own. The person putting both their lives in danger was the bike with the camera, following too close.

The whole point of this video posted (as mentioned in the topic) wasnt whether or not you should drop a knee or go speed limit with a coffee holder. The point was not to bunch up, Dont put someone else life in danger (and your own) by riding too close. Thats it!

Last edited:
I'm 5'6". In motorcycle boots. Standing on a telephone book.

Okay, I have no excuses for poorly explaining ****. I am 5'6 normally lol

Even more avoid those leaning the wrong way ;)

2am25x.jpg

What? No! These are the guys you should follow (at safe distance.) You get a free show, and can help the guy after his bike goes wee into a tree.

Back
Top Bottom