Sidecar insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sidecar insurance

Gryph

I've just put a deposit on a Vstar 650 with a Velorex sidecar, I need to call to set up my insurance on it but I'm wondering if I need to tell them about the sidecar and if I'll run into any issues as a result?

Thanks

I would imagine that a sidecar would be viewed as a material change and must be disclosed to the insurance company. You'd want to anyway as I'm assuming the sidecar dramatically affects the value of the bike and you'd want the value with the sidecar if it got destroyed.

TD Meloche Monnex is my company, the guy I just spoke with said they won't write it with a sidecar on - so now I'm on hold again, I have a truck, two bikes and my UTV with them that I'd have to move.

Further proof that insurance companies don't have a care or a clue.

Second guy was more helpful and put me on hold to check, after I explained there was something bolted to an unmodified bike that makes it slower and less apt to tip over - he agreed but alas they won’t cover it.

Time me to shop around. I’m 33 with 12 years experience and no tickets or accidents, along with the multiple vehicles.

Second guy was more helpful and put me on hold to check, after I explained there was something bolted to an unmodified bike that makes it slower and less apt to tip over - he agreed but alas they won’t cover it.

Time me to shop around. I’m 33 with 12 years experience and no tickets or accidents, along with the multiple vehicles.

Try Allstate, if you can bundle your house with vehicles.

On a different note, I've always wondered if sidecars are illegal in Ontario. Rarely ever seen a motorcycle with one. Perhaps, it's insurance and not the law.

Try Allstate, if you can bundle your house with vehicles.

On a different note, I've always wondered if sidecars are illegal in Ontario. Rarely ever seen a motorcycle with one. Perhaps, it's insurance and not the law.

Seems most company's are fine with them based on my readings, and they're legal, just uncommon and kind of an oddball thing - I've always wanted one and this is mainly for dog purposes lol.

I've messaged the Allstate guy on here, as well as Mitchell and Whale brokers, and a friend of mine is a broker who writes Wawaneesa, Aviva, and Intact - so I've got some options. I'll update the thread for posterity sake as there's not much info on the interwebs in terms of this topic.

have seen several Urals putting around with sidecars
must be able to insure them with someone

...I've always wanted one and this is mainly for dog purposes lol.

lol that sounds great! Please post some pics once you sort out the insurance mess.

Other than the insurance companies you've already contacted, I would add Statefarm/Desjardin to the list.

TD would have insured a Ural no problem as they come factory made with the side car. My bike is considered "modified" so they won't touch it.

Since Urals come from the factory with sidecars they aren't modified. Very few manufacturer's make a hack. Goldwing and Harley trikes seem to get insurance so it is out there.

BTW my wife worked for an insurance company for years and said some underwriters were pretty dense.

Underwriters default to "Sorry not covered" if they don't understand. Facility should be an option if you want to enter that chit show.

Last edited:
Goldwing and Harley trikes seem to get insurance so it is out there.

I think you can get a factory Harley trike (tri-glide?). I'm not sure how the aftermarket ones are getting registered. Maybe they are being registered as tri-glides and the insurance company doesn't know any better.

Wawanesa for the win! In hindsight I’m so glad TD bailed on the new rig. I’ll be paying less overall for the additional bike and bundling in my tenants insurance, than I was for my current vehicles alone.

The bike prices are insane -
2006 Triumph Bonneville: $488
2003 Yamaha Vstar 650: $444
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650: $339

2007 Honda Ridgeline $1432.

Those are all annual premiums with full coverage and $500 deductibles.

If if you’re over 30 with a clean record - shop Wawanesa!

Back
Top Bottom