Be careful out there! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Be careful out there!

anik

Site Supporter
So, I wanted to go for a quick ride last night at around 10:40 PM. I was going north on Mccowan on the left lane and there was a guy waiting to left onto Lawrence and he turned into me. I tried to avoid him best I could and I swerved to the left and hit the tail end of the car.

Luckily I didn't fall off the bike and my headlight, and the right fairings took the majority of the damages. It could have been lot worse. I grateful that I am alive and uninjured. Please be careful out there and pay extra attention while crossing intersections when there are cars waiting to turn left.

Glad you're ok. Make sure the collision gets reported and press hard to get the driver charged. Most drivers won't remember almost killing someone, but they will remember the insurance pain.

Glad you're OK.

I always do give extra attention to left turn drivers while crossing the intersection and if I could I try to be beside another vehicle.

Glad you’re okay.
So many bad drivers out there it’s insane!
They can’t even go in a straight line never mind the turns..
Was coming up to a red light on Hurontario/Paisley in Mississauga and noticed a car coming way too fast behind me in my mirror.. moved all the way to the left track of the lane and buddy still scuffed my leg.
Come up to his car and ask him wtf he was doing, and he didn’t speak a word of English of course.. Indian guy and his wife with two young kids in the back..
Just kept saying yes, yes lol..
proceeds to lane share with me till the point I pull in front of him and get back in my spot..
I guess it’s okay to lane share back in India.. still unsure how these people get their licences in Ontario..

Anyways ride safe everyone way too many bad drivers out there, always keep scanning around.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

So, I wanted to go for a quick ride last night at around 10:40 PM. I was going north on Mccowan on the left lane and there was a guy waiting to left onto Lawrence and he turned into me. I tried to avoid him best I could and I swerved to the left and hit the tail end of the car.

Luckily I didn't fall off the bike and my headlight, and the right fairings took the majority of the damages. It could have been lot worse. I grateful that I am alive and uninjured. Please be careful out there and pay extra attention while crossing intersections when there are cars waiting to turn left.

Glad you're ok. Make sure the collision gets reported and press hard to get the driver charged. Most drivers won't remember almost killing someone, but they will remember the insurance pain.

This^
People dont learn until they burn.

Go get yourself some high vis gear asap. Heck, i bought a super bright neon lime green yellow t shirt i wear over my jacket because im a cheap bastard.

Learn from this, the vast majority of problems that motorcyclists face are in intersections(red light or not) and curves.
Master those and ride into the retirement sunset intact.

Glad you’re okay.
Was coming up to a red light on Hurontario/Paisley in Mississauga and noticed a car coming way too fast behind me in my mirror.. moved all the way to the left track of the lane and buddy still scuffed my leg.
Come up to his car and ask him wtf he was doing, and he didn’t speak a word of English of course.. Indian guy and his wife with two young kids in the back..
proceeds to lane share with me till the point I pull in front of him and get back in my spot..
I guess it’s okay to lane share back in India.. still unsure how these people get their licences in Ontario..

Anyways ride safe everyone way too many bad drivers out there, always keep scanning around.

so a guy makes contact with you while sharing a lane and you just ride off into the sunset? I would’ve stopped him and called the cops. **** that guy.

as for OP....glad you’re alive and able to tell the tale. Hopefully that driver stopped and didn’t dash.

Glad you’re okay.

I ride through Markham ever day and sadly I take evasive actions at least twice a week. Quite simply there are too many people with bad habits or inadequate driving skills on the road. My route takes me past a YRP station so there are tons of cruisers coming and going - sadly it appears to me that YRP don't really care about traffic violations unless they involve injuries or speed traps, or ambush locations.

so a guy makes contact with you while sharing a lane and you just ride off into the sunset? I would’ve stopped him and called the cops. **** that guy.

as for OP....glad you’re alive and able to tell the tale. Hopefully that driver stopped and didn’t dash.

Well to be honest I was about to smash his mirror out of anger but I saw the kids in the back tearing up and I didn’t wanna make it a scene since I wasn’t seriously hurt... I was just thankful it ended the way it did it could’ve been way worse. if I didn’t check my mirrors and rode a little more towards the middle he would’ve plowed right into me cause he barely even stopped before hitting the car in front...
But yeah cops don’t give a **** really until something serious happens or someone gets injured.. sadly

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I ride through Markham ever day and sadly I take evasive actions at least twice a week. Quite simply there are too many people with bad habits or inadequate driving skills on the road. My route takes me past a YRP station so there are tons of cruisers coming and going - sadly it appears to me that YRP don't really care about traffic violations unless they involve injuries or speed traps, or ambush locations.

Oh I can only imagine I drive thru Markham every day for work and the amount of bad drivers I encounter is insane. I thought Mississauga/Brampton was bad until I got a job in Markham lol. Stay safe out there Mike.

Yikes. Glad you're ok.

This should be a reminder to all riders not to exceed the the flow of traffic by any significant amount.

MANY accidents can be avoided if we just go the same speed as everyone else!

(although in this case my advice wouldn't apply to your situation)

Yikes. Glad you're ok.

This should be a reminder to all riders not to exceed the the flow of traffic by any significant amount.

Couldn't disagree more, i feel much safer moving ahead of the cars.

Well to be honest I was about to smash his mirror out of anger but I saw the kids in the back tearing up and I didn’t wanna make it a scene since I wasn’t seriously hurt... I was just thankful it ended the way it did it could’ve been way worse. if I didn’t check my mirrors and rode a little more towards the middle he would’ve plowed right into me cause he barely even stopped before hitting the car in front...
But yeah cops don’t give a **** really until something serious happens or someone gets injured.. sadly

Just remember, the moment you start lashing out, you would be seen as the idiot. I'm sure many of us would like to give the offender a piece of our mind, but it's always best to stay level-headed.

Given the number of collisions that occur on a daily basis, unless they're doing nothing but speed enforcement, I don't really blame cops for not "doing something" more often.

This morning's drive, I witnessed one rear end collision, and drove by another two heading down the 404/DVP/Gardiner. All of which takes time out of their day.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that they usually don't do anything unless something serious happens, but just because it doesn't happen around you, doesn't mean they're not busy somewhere else dealing with other incidents/injuries.

Had the person below been a biker that got rear ended, he or she would have been F'ed 100% as no brakes were applied leading up to the collision. (Watch your 6)

[video=youtube_share;fV8tEkhJ7rk]https://youtu.be/fV8tEkhJ7rk[/video]

Last edited:
Just remember, the moment you start lashing out, you would be seen as the idiot. I'm sure many of us would like to give the offender a piece of our mind, but it's always best to stay level-headed.

Given the number of collisions that occur on a daily basis, unless they're doing nothing but speed enforcement, I don't really blame cops for not "doing something" more often.

This morning's drive, I witnessed one rear end collision, and drove by another two heading down the 404/DVP/Gardiner. All of which takes time out of their day.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that they usually don't do anything unless something serious happens, but just because it doesn't happen around you, doesn't mean they're not busy somewhere else dealing with other incidents/injuries.

Had the person below been a biker that got rear ended, he or she would have been F'ed 100% as no brakes were applied leading up to the collision. (Watch your 6)

Totally agree.
All that adrenaline rush at the moment I’m glad I didn’t do anything bad.
I drive a 18 wheeler for living so I’m just thankful I have that habit of always checking my mirrors all the time, which is what saved me.
Says video not available

wtf. Driver completely stopped driving for some reason. Drifted across two lanes and didn't even touch the brakes before hitting the stopped car. Another candidate to start again at G1 and drive with a chaperone for a year.

Oh I can only imagine I drive thru Markham every day for work and the amount of bad drivers I encounter is insane. I thought Mississauga/Brampton was bad until I got a job in Markham lol. Stay safe out there Mike.

I've pretty much gotten over the memories of commuting to Woodbine and Steeles for 4 years from Keele & Wilson and another 8 years from Sutton. The worst day dreamers and at the same time most aggressive drivers compared to my long periods of working elsewhere and commuting 5 days a week to places like Torbram Rd., King & Bay, 27 & Steeles, and Guelph.

Couldn't disagree more, i feel much safer moving ahead of the cars.

and you are correct ...safest drivers statistically move about 10% faster than traffic ...human eyes react to relative motion and blank out when something is stationary in their FOV.

Even the rider is prone to that and will pay more attention when moving forward through traffic......no better recipe for an accident than to sit in a blindspot at the same speed as traffic.

Glad you are okay OP and getting licence and a phone call to report the driver would have been useful.
I've been crowded a few times by idjits that don't respect mcycle space.

Drivers ( sometimes other motorcycles ) don't seem to get that THIS IS MY SPACE...

maxresdefault.jpg
line to line...it's the view I have and the one I want respected

some things I do stay safe.On highways I don't ride within a cluster of cars, either I am faster or slower then them.
Local Roads
For the cars waiting to make a left turn. I make sure I can see the driver not the car itself (if I can see the driver maybe he can see me) I might serve a little back and forth for added attention. Just think, if I am in the car singing along with the music cranked, would i be able to see the rider.
I don't "hide" behind cars when going through the intersection but I use cars to block. "Blocking" is basically if I am behind a car and coming up to intersection and can't see the cars waiting to make a left turn I move to next lane on the cars right and accerlate and time it so both car and bike go through the intersection at the same time. There are many variables into what course of action you take to stay safe but you need to have the knowledge and practice to see it through. This is an excellant tread for some constructive agruments. Feedback is always much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom