M license | GTAMotorcycle.com

M license

These types of threads interest me as I'm not sure what the OP is expecting. The government spells it out:

"During the M2 road test, the examiner will give you directions through a disposable earphone and, as you complete the tasks, will watch to make sure you successfully perform the required skills."

There are a number of threads at GTAM from people looking for "tips." For example:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?118162-M2-Exit-test-tips

Bottom line: You must know how to ride safely. You must know how to smoothly accelerate and brake, how to turn, how to shift, where to look, be aware of your surroundings, how to maintain safe speeds and following distances, to be aware of your surroundings at all times, how to signal, how to stop at the side of the road safely, what to look for in residential and industrial areas. You need to follow instructions. And you need to make sure the examiner knows what you're doing by "exaggerating" movements. Most of us are always shifting our eyes around for situational awareness when riding; the examiner can't see this and so you need to move your head around ("bobble head") to ensure the examiner sees you're looking at stuff. This includes coming to a stop (mirror checks, look left, look right etc...)

If you're been doing your due diligence for the period of time you've had your M2 then you'll breeze through it. If you've spent that time picking up bad habits or just getting by without working on skills you might have trouble.

These types of threads interest me as I'm not sure what the OP is expecting...
The route I presume? I'm one of those who believe that road tests should be enforced to be conducted at a test center near the test-taker's residential postal code. Best not to share the route, because a rider/driver should be prepared for anything.

JMO

Some general tips...

Always have your brake light on when stopped.
Keep your head moving, they can't see your eyes, so you have to exaggerate your movement.
Watch your speed.
Remember to turn off your signal after you complete the turn.

Some general tips...

Keep your head moving, they can't see your eyes, so you have to exaggerate your movement.
Watch your speed.

Those four are the most important IMO. In the review when we completed the route I got called out so many times for "not noticing" and there's no point in debating it with the person testing you, since they are always in the right. It might feel goofy, but really telegraph your head checks and make them long enough that the tester caught it in case their attention was on the clip board for a second. They don't know how fantastic your peripheral vision is and your Xbox trained brain can track 6 threats at a time (whatever). Unsigned access lanes between stores and parking lots count. Relax and good luck.

The route I presume? I'm one of those who believe that road tests should be enforced to be conducted at a test center near the test-taker's residential postal code. Best not to share the route, because a rider/driver should be prepared for anything.

JMO

That's just it; it shouldn't matter where you ride. If you know your **** and are competent and deserving of the rights and responsibilities that go with the full M the test locale shouldn't matter and you shouldn't need to memorize the route either. Either you can ride a motorcycle on public roads and highways in a competent, safe manner or you can't.

Don't cut anybody off - including pedestrians. If any vehicle shows a brake light due to you merging in front of them, or a pedestrian has to walk around you or stop in their tracks on a crosswalk - that's a fail.

You should not need to know the route, obey the rules of the road. If you are not comfortable riding in a place you have never been before then you are probably not ready for an M license and should be out getting more practice till you are confident in your abilities and comfortable riding a bike.

Alvito had a few good tips that are not necessarily law or something you would think of.

Over exaggerate your head for shoulder checks and do it more then you think to, they look or that

Some general tips...

Watch your speed.

Lindsay? Don’t they just tell you to ride around the block and report back to the desk when you’re back?

one tip is to put a stripe of tape on the back of your helmet.. (like a 2 inch wide stripe of green painters tape)
Makes your head movements much more noticable to the examiner in the car probably several car lengths behind you.

Back
Top Bottom