"Whats the chances of being in an accident when not wearing a helmet??" | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Whats the chances of being in an accident when not wearing a helmet??"

Aside from riding a minibike almost 50 years I've always worn a helmet. A few years ago while in Ohio I road helmet-less and in shorts and a tee shirt from a rented cottage to a dinner location 1 km away. This was after a long day with 35+ degree weather and high humidity. I didn't want to get into my still wet gear after a shower and we were in a state park. I was going about 50 kph and it was absolutely glorious to feel the wind flowing over me in the brutal heat and humidity. That said, I felt totally naked on the bike, very vulnerable and I haven't rode gearless since then.

chances are low you will into an accident
chances are high you will be messed up for life if you do.
Please wear you helmet all the time even to go around in parking lot or just to warm up the chain

The question is chances of having a crash, not sustaining a head injury. In a helmet mandatory locale a person choosing not to wear has indicated a disregard for laws and may choose to break more than one. The risk factor may be high.

In a lid optional locale a rider may make a rational decision and ride carefully, obeying all laws, and be far safer than "Lidless in Ontario" because he recognizes his vulnerability. Being helmet free can improve vision (unless you get a June bug in your eye)

As far as wearing a helmet making it more or less likely for a rider to suffer from the actions of a bad driver I can't see any difference. People don't think "Oh, he isn't wearing a helmet so I won't run him off the road."

How long is a piece of string?

I would not like to find out.

How long is a piece of string? As short as long as it is. Lol.

When I first started to do sports, I never thought of the safety aspect. I was infallible. Then I lost friends. Changes your mind pretty fast.

The exception was doing aerobatics. No helmet, no nothing. Always said cheap funeral, just fill in the hole. Lol.

油井緋色;2574087 said:
Forget karma. It does, however, show you're as stupid as I was (as are the turban wearing crew). Lucky for you, the reaper never paid you a visit.

Just to clarify...I am not judging whether or not gear is necessary or even care if others wear whatever. However, if someone is making the same mistakes I did, I do get to say they're as stupid as I was ;)

you are 100% right, have a nice day

Is head trauma still the leading cause of fatality in auto accidents?
Oh wait, silly me, car people can't be forced to wear helmets because it messes up their hair.

You can never predict the outcome of an accident, I once exited through the front windshield of a VW Beatle on impact and I am still p-p-p-perfectly fine :|

Is head trauma still the leading cause of fatality in auto accidents?
Oh wait, silly me, car people can't be forced to wear helmets because it messes up their hair.

You can never predict the outcome of an accident, I once exited through the front windshield of a VW Beatle on impact and I am still p-p-p-perfectly fine :|

If you are ever feeling bored, throw your helmet on and go for a drive in the car. People give you a very wide berth as they assume you are going to do something dumb.

Back
Top Bottom