"Whats the chances of being in an accident when not wearing a helmet??" | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Whats the chances of being in an accident when not wearing a helmet??"

kiwi

I'm sure that's the question this fellow asked himself yesterday....

"A mann his 30s was seriously injured in a crash on Oakwood Avenue and Rogers Road Sunday evening.
Officers responded to the area around 6:30 p.m. where a car and motorcycle were involved in a collision.
Police say the motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet and was “ejected” from his bike. He suffered a head injury and is in serious but non-life-threatening condition.
There is no word on the cause of the collision at this time or if any charges will be laid.

CTCN_WEB_PIC_OAKWOOD_PI_RAW_2017JUN17.jpg

http://www.680news.com/2018/06/17/oakwood-avenue-collision/

My chances are zero as I won't do it. Aside from the obvious risk to your noggin, that probably increases your heat score even more than a flip plate.

WHY?

Anyhow, karma is a *****.

I’d say it’s relatively high.

Anyone that takes her for a rip without a helmet has their guard down. When you approach safety with a casual artist it’s, it can bite you back.

Now saying that, my neighbors ride around on quads at low speeds with their kids and no safety equipment and not in traffic.

I’ve cruised a beach at Ipperwash in first gear without a helmet.

I’ve ridden down my street without a helmet at slow speed.

So do as I say and not as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what does Karma have anything to do with it??? stupidity... yes, but Karma?

He was careless and he got the consequence to being careless... The decision of not wearing his helmet caused the outcome (head injury) of his accident that he probably could've walked away from had he been wearing said gear.

He reaped what he sowed.

Let's hope he gets well soon and learns from his mistakes.

what does Karma have anything to do with it??? stupidity... yes, but Karma?

That's what I was gunna say...

The odds of crashing without a helmet is pretty great because the rider is obviously not the most intelligent.
Riding requires a certain amount of competence and wearing a helmet is a very basic form of that.

Didn't wear a helmet on a bicycle. Ended up flat lining, in a coma, hearing loss, intense suicidal thoughts for a year, and a life time of wondering if I'd be smarter had I not broke my skull.

I will always wear a helmet and gear now. If I'm gonna **** myself up, I'd prefer for it not to be 100% because of my own idiocy lol

Last edited:
That looks like an Ebike no? I see people on ebikes with no helmets all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a pretty large front brake for an ebike. I can't tell what it is one way or the other.

All riders are legally required to wear a bicycle or motorcycle helmet on ebikes. Not saying they all do, but it's cheap insurance to keep you breathing.

Ouch, hope he's recovers. Chances can vary, in Kenya my dad rode for 30 years without a helmet, and that place has a lot worse traffic, he did have accidents but again it's a game of chances. Now, both of us don't even leave the driveway without a Snell+Dot rated full face lid.

As for the Karma, the west has it all upside down. Karma never applies to this life, you can't do something bad today and suffer tomorrow lol... It's a collective for the next lives, hence enlightenment and liberation from past deeds.

He was careless and he got the consequence to being careless... The decision of not wearing his helmet caused the outcome (head injury) of his accident that he probably could've walked away from had he been wearing said gear.

He reaped what he sowed.

Let's hope he gets well soon and learns from his mistakes.

you may need to brush up on the concept of karma.....but thats a different discussion

he crashed because he was probably an inexperienced rider and was trying to do something stupid.

i've ridden without a helmet many times in states where its legal, is karma going to get me? or is it only considered bad karma if its illegal? is the turban wearing community going to get struck by karma when they exercise their new right to ride without a helmet out west?

Last edited:
Had a good buddy die 5 years ago, not wearing a helmet. Took a quick rip up the street to test his bike and something happened, hit his head and that was all she wrote.

Answer in bold
you may need to brush up on the concept of karma.....but thats a different discussion
" it also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause) influence the future of that individual (effect)" first definition i found online, and it aligns with my point of view. he acted defiantly of local laws and was put back in his place for it.

he crashed because he was probably an inexperienced rider and was trying to do something stupid.
as i explain down below, not wearing a helmet was already doing something stupid in the first place in this specific context

i've ridden without a helmet many times in states where its legal, is karma going to get me? or is it only considered bad karma if its illegal? is the turban wearing community going to get struck by karma when they exercise their new right to ride without a helmet out west?
for all the scenarios you have listed, the way i see it, common sense dictates wearing a helmet, even if optional in the jurisdiction you're riding in; it reduces the risk of greater head injuries/trauma in the possible scenario of an accident. now, if you have legislation in place making it mandatory to wear it, and you decide not to wear it, you're already asking for trouble, whether it be accident-wise or law enforcement-wise. What i'm saying is that he found said trouble.

Forget karma. It does, however, show you're as stupid as I was (as are the turban wearing crew). Lucky for you, the reaper never paid you a visit.

Just to clarify...I am not judging whether or not gear is necessary or even care if others wear whatever. However, if someone is making the same mistakes I did, I do get to say they're as stupid as I was ;)

Last edited:

Western karma wears pointy cowboy boots, to better kick fools in the nuts. It's strictly all about the here and now, a satisfying blend of petty righteousness. The Buddha won't admit that western karma exists but the smirk on those statues isn't artistic convention. He knows. POW! Yessss! Oh, excuse me. GREAT COMPASSION IS CONSTANTLY SHINING.

Last edited:
It's his life. If he wants to take a calculated risk - which he did - he must also be prepared to pay the price, which he also did. Hot weather likely made the prospect of riding helmet free more attractive. I can't imagine riding with a full faced head-coffin on in the 33 degree heat.

This is not going to be a popular view, but I think that in *some cases*, full gear + helmet actually increases the likelihood of being in an accident.

Do you think the StreetRossis in their one-piece leather suits and full-faced replica helmets would be trying to drag knee on public roads if they were helmetless and wearing flip-flops, wifebeater and shorts instead?

I've ridden in many developing countries where that's exactly the kind of gear motorcyclists wear.

Granted, they're mostly on 150cc bikes (and they've got their whole family of 6 with them on the backseat), but still they don't ride over their abilities just because they are wearing the invincibility cloak of Joe Rocket + Shoei.

Back
Top Bottom