buying a car | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

buying a car

Curious if that car was winter-driven?

Mazda really that problem fester for years and that hurts their image. Maybe they did fix it in later years but given the history of the model I'd still ask for proof of annual oiling.
Driven every winter. Barely saw summer once I got my bike

Your body kit is covering up a lot of the areas that those cars rust on. They're rust buckets, bruv. But of course, yours wasn't
Side skirts were removed in may to ship it via train to Alberta, no rust. Flares were added in 2016, no rust.

I would totally avoid any model with Direct Injection, Mazda 3, Accent, Elantra, Cruze...

If you don't value driving dynamics just try and find a Corolla from 2010 (1.8L only) and up. Skip 2009 unless dealer or owner can prove the car has the updated timing gear replaced. They are ridiculously simple and very reliable. Parts and service are dirt cheap, parts are everywhere, you have a massive choice as there are millions of 1.8L 2ZRFE engines circulating. They take regular fuel and conventional oil and are very fuel efficient if you're easy on the pedals.

just save yourself the time and aggravation of car shopping and go with a proven winner. The Civic.

just save yourself the time and aggravation of car shopping and go with a proven winner. The Civic.
Not in his price range, for what he is looking for.

I know that people have been suggesting an Elantra, and I know Hyundai has come a long way, but haven't there been a few stories in the news about Elantra engines blowing or seizing under 100k and Hyundai refusing to honour their warranty?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Just a word of caution with Honda. Insurance rates can be higher than others in the same category. They have a higher than average theft record and they also experience higher than average losses.

Just call and ask for a quote. It does vary depending on location as well.

Is the difference thousands of dollars? No. But is can be hundreds more.

Agree that Mazda does have a corrosion issue with the 3. They drive well but don’t age well.

Brian’s advise is good. Off lease vehicle, low kilometres, domestic will be in your price range.

Toyota and Subaru have decent resell value. I find the Impreza is small but, it’s a good car.

I’ve come across the occasional large domestic car that was previous enjoyed by a senior. Such as Impala. Low mileage, well cared for. Low price point. But it’s bigger and does use a little more fuel.

We have a newer Kia Soul and it’s been excellent. No issues and the quality and driving experience for what it is, has been excellent.

My neighbour purchased an previous generation for $8500 with a 5 spd manual and they love it.

Is it a fuel mizer? Not really but, it’s a good appliance and not bad on fuel.

Older Accents have sheet metal that waves in the wind. Just looking at them will cause them to wrinkle. Even if you find one in decent shape, it will magically change in your possession to a vehicle that looks like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest a Hyundai or Kia. Both have a 5yr/100k km comprehensive warranty and give you a lot of bang for your buck. Reliability is on par with anyone else. Specifically, I would up the budget a bit and look at 2017+ Elantra's

A touch above your budget, here's a brand new Elantra L. It's base, has manual transmission, AC is additional $1600 installed. But brand new, full warranty, etc. http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai...Cpo&ncse=no&orup=1_15_936&pc=L4J 3W3&sprx=100

If your budget is firm, the previous gen Elantra's aren't bad at all. You can probably find one still in warranty within your budget.

don't see it mentioned, and some may laugh
but a Focus SE is well within that price range
could maybe find a Titanium fully loaded up

like mentioned earlier, km that low will seriously limit selection
and for a small car, I'd wonder why a sedan instead of a hatch

here's a nice example at the top of OP's km range

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ms/1363626097?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Automatic transmissions on 2012-on Focus/Fiesta are troublesome. Manual versions of the same cars are fine.

Not missing anything. Those are 8 year old cars (soon 9 model years old) and all out of warranty. Go old enough and you can always find something cheap enough. Same money can get a Chevy Cruze 4 or 5 years old, and just a smidge more can get one off-lease certified-pre-owned with a warranty from a dealer.

Beggars can't be choosers.
N

Not missing anything. Those are 8 year old cars (soon 9 model years old) and all out of warranty. Go old enough and you can always find something cheap enough. Same money can get a Chevy Cruze 4 or 5 years old, and just a smidge more can get one off-lease certified-pre-owned with a warranty from a dealer.

Beggars can't be choosers.
N

Personally, I wouldn't be spending 10K+ on an 8 year old vehicle as a daily driver (toys are a different story). I just don't see the upside. For an 8 year old vehicle, I am looking for <25% of MSRP (say 5 to 7.5 for a civic). If the used market supports 10K prices, good for the sellers, but I'm not going to be a part of that game as I believe I have better options.

When looking for used vehicles, I try to aim for 3-5 years old and ~50% of MSRP. A few vehicles ago we bought 6 years old because it only had 16,000 km and was ~25% of MSRP. My wife put 225,000 more km on it in 6 years and we moved it on and bought another 3 year old with 70K for ~45% of MSRP.

Last edited:
Automatic transmissions on 2012-on Focus/Fiesta are troublesome. Manual versions of the same cars are fine.

yup. my good experience was with a '14 SE manual
great car. not a single issue and fun to drive

but the Titanium is only available with 6 sp auto
so an SE manual is prolly a better car

reason why I don't prefer hatchback is because I need trunk space.

if civics & corollas are out of reach, what about honda accords? 2010 maybe?

maybe pre-owned Acura TL, TSX, Toyota Camry?

NO MANUALS please

great discussion. been thinking of a new beater and i've been checking out the corolla's. I think they are great but overpriced. What I did like was hearing the 2012 cruze can come with a standard transmission. going to take a look at them and the prices ...thx all.

reason why I don't prefer hatchback is because I need trunk space.

if civics & corollas are out of reach, what about honda accords? 2010 maybe?

maybe pre-owned Acura TL, TSX, Toyota Camry?

NO MANUALS please

You realize that the hatch area in a hatchback is bigger than the trunk area in a sedan? (The CUV is today's hatchback / station wagon) - only exception is if the hatch version of the car is actually shorter than the trunk version - which it sometimes is. Still, the hatch version can often swallow a bigger object than the trunk version for the simple reason that the object won't fit through the trunk opening but will fit through the hatch opening.

And if you can't afford a Civic, you certainly can't afford an Accord (bigger), and you really can't afford an Acura (near-luxury). If the price tag sets the absolute cap, the bigger or higher end cars will be older ... and in many cases, with more doodads and gizmos to break and be expensive to fix.

Go to your local dealer area and walk around, ask questions, and test-drive.

3 year old off-lease "certified pre-owned" Chevy Cruze with a warranty.

When the price tag is the limiting factor, a "newer" lower-end car is better than an "older" higher-end car. Less stuff to go wrong, less chance of it going wrong, better chance of still having a warranty in effect.

Back
Top Bottom