Should I get a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I get a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk?

I'm a big Jeep fan. I have had one on my driveway for the last 35 years. My first was a CJ5, since then a Wagoneer, Pioneer, YJ, Grand Cherokee - and the last 2 which I still have, a Patriot and Commander. I have always done regular maintenance and my Jeeps lasted. The main weaknesses has always been body and frame corrosion, so be sure to visit Krown every year otherwise your in the scrap yard after 10 years.

My 2006 Commander has just under 300K and has outlasted 2 GMCs and still runs like new. I just treated her to new struts, shocks, drag links, ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors, calipers and brake pads -- total cost for parts was about $750. I also replaced the OE battery which lasted 11 years and 300K.

Cherokee is nice.
The trailhawk is not needed unless you want it for the cosmetics.

It's not really an off road vehicle so you're better off saving the $$'s and getting a model in another trim

I LOVE my Wrangler.

Last edited:
The Pentastar engine is a good one.

You can find lots of bellyaching online about the ZF-designed 9-speed automatic transmission in those. The 2016-on model has some internal changes to resolve some of the issues that they had early on. That transmission, because of its internal design, will always have an awkward 8-7 downshift under load and an awkward 4-3 downshift under load. (Basically in each of those, the transmission has to momentarily interrupt power delivery in order to synchronize the engagement of an internal clutch.) Upshifts through those gears are fine, and downshifting while slowing down is fine because there is no interruption if it is not transmitting power anyhow. When you test-drive it, try getting to 8th gear (90 - 100 km/h steady should do it) then stamp on the accelerator as if to overtake another car ... that's the circumstance that will trip it up. If you can live with what it does, you will be fine with it. My only experience with this transmission was in a rental Chrysler 200 before the 2016 upgrades, and for normal day to day driving it's fine. (disclaimer, a customer of mine makes parts for those transmissions)

Test-drive ... if you like it, go for it.

re Trailhawk simulpost ... There are at least 2 and possibly 3 different 4wd systems on these. The Trailhawk gets the fancy one with the center diff (built into the transmission housing) which makes it capable of using 4wd all the time. The lesser models get systems that are more commonly seen in transverse applications (CRV, RAV4, Escape, CX5, Equinox, etc), with a clutch to (automatically) lock the rear drivetrain to the front one when it's needed. All it means is that it operates in front-drive mode most of the time and it only engages the rear drivetrain when needed. Do you really need the full-time 4wd system with center diff? If the objective is to get through a snowy driveway or through a little bit of mud, either one will do the job.

They make you buy Trailhawk in order to get some of the appearance and luxury goodies, but even the next trim down is still a pretty nice place to be.

That's the Grand Cherokee, which is a completely different vehicle from a Cherokee.

Here's the Cherokee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OnGoFTZ2qk

Not great, but not bad.

The low-offset frontal crash test is extremely difficult to deal with. Almost anything that was designed before approx 2012 (when this test started showing up) comes out "poor". Grand Cherokee (not Cherokee!) and Explorer both have underlying structures that were designed before that test. The Cherokee showed up in 2014, which is after that test, but before manufacturers figured out how to deal with it. For a vehicle that was designed in the early days of the low-offset crash test, the Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee!) does okay.

Family has one... that probably get used more than most. We use it tow, put boats in and out of the lake without a launch, drag atvs, sxs's into to bush, etc.... I've driven the thing further to the lake than most would dare... Had it up to the seats in water and it kept going. (dashboard lit up, but went away after drying out)
I was pretty impressed by the little jeep... surprised it could do some of the things we ask of it.

Thanks guys!!

I went out and got one. Planning on towing and light off roading. Nothing nuts. I really like the looks to.

I have to say my 18 year old Chevy s10 with 400000km was awesome. Good solid little truck.

I hope this jeep serves me as well.

After driving the s10 fir 18 years I felt bad trading it. I do love the jeep though.
3808ede63ca1ceb66b767eb0d82d37c5.jpg
c3c1e21322b917a3e40fc91d0a9f861f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

you drove the same vehicle for 18 years?
craziness! lol

that is a nice Jeep
kinda looks like a Cayenne

@greaserman well you never said you had an S10 that you needed to get rid of! Always loved that lowered mini. Miss my slammed Blazer. What did they give you for the trade? (if you don't mind me asking)

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

@greaserman well you never said you had an S10 that you needed to get rid of! Always loved that lowered mini. Miss my slammed Blazer. What did they give you for the trade? (if you don't mind me asking)

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
I got 500 bucks for it. Lol

It still ran ok but had a lot of other problems.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Congrats.
That blue looks really nice.
"Hydro Blue"?

Nice.
That was my other color choice for my wrangler had i not gotten rhino

Back
Top Bottom