Anyone use Bose QuietComfort 20 while riding ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone use Bose QuietComfort 20 while riding ?

That is correct ...the Howard Leighs get you -32 dB ...no earphone gets there regardless of the tip. The Pioneer Wayz are not as overall quiet as the Leighs but range in the where they are active ...it's amazing clarity at speed when calibrated.

I've put some clear tape over the outside of the earbuds. This has reduced the popping problem dramatically.
I also use a Bluetooth adapter. The phone is on a handlebar mount where I can see the GPS if necessary.
I like listening to podcasts and occasionally music on my commute. I find I'm more patient and less likely to pass other vehicles when I'm listening. Once I get into traffic, I tune out what's playing or hit pause.
I'm not suggesting Bose are better than other brands; it's all that I found available when I was shopping for some a few years ago.
386c6eb0d9f2d36deffe8e6d6511de7d.jpg
c94373257da69f8c76e591d309c73c49.jpg

Sent from my MIX Lite using Tapatalk

I just bought a set of MEE M6-PRO in ear monitors...
Ordered from Amazon.ca on Wednesday night... Delivered 10:00 Thursday morning... (and I even chose the "free shipping" option)
$65

After trying several in-ear music options as well as the in-helmet mounted speaker system(s) these are by far the best option I've tried.
The foam tips are recommended for riding, but I actually prefer the silicone...
'Wore them for 5 hours a few days ago and experienced zero discomfort.
Fortnine did a review on a few options...
[video=youtube;4U5ArX7J7ps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5ArX7J7ps&t=351s[/video]

Last edited:
I just bought a set of MEE M6-PRO in ear monitors...
Ordered from Amazon.ca on Wednesday night... Delivered 10:00 Thursday morning... (and I even chose the "free shipping" option)
$65

After trying several in-ear music options as well as the in-helmet mounted speaker system(s) these are by far the best option I've tried.
The foam tips are recommended for riding, but I actually prefer the silicone...
'Wore them for 5 hours a few days ago and experienced zero discomfort.
Fortnine did a review on a few options...
[video=youtube;4U5ArX7J7ps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5ArX7J7ps&t=351s[/video]

Been using the same for a few months, love it.

I've put some clear tape over the outside of the earbuds. This has reduced the popping problem dramatically.
I also use a Bluetooth adapter. The phone is on a handlebar mount where I can see the GPS if necessary.
I like listening to podcasts and occasionally music on my commute. I find I'm more patient and less likely to pass other vehicles when I'm listening. Once I get into traffic, I tune out what's playing or hit pause.
I'm not suggesting Bose are better than other brands; it's all that I found available when I was shopping for some a few years ago.
386c6eb0d9f2d36deffe8e6d6511de7d.jpg
c94373257da69f8c76e591d309c73c49.jpg

Sent from my MIX Lite using Tapatalk

You probably taped over the exterior microphones that are required for accurate noise canceling (and that are responsible for the popping due to pressure changes).

Check out the Shure SE215 sound isolating earbuds. about 150$, I've put hundreds of hours on mine and the only issue is the gold plating wearing off the connector. Reduces wind noise A LOT while still hearing horns, loud pipes, etc. Even with the music turned down to the first notch it's still extremely clear and clean

Yep a bump for SHURE-- I have the SE315, I've been using them for over 6-7 years same ones, they are fantastic, the noise cancelling is amazing and the sound quality next to none. Every few years the cable may get damaged and rip or the remote may stop functioning but the great thing about these Shure headphones are that the plugs disconnect from the wire therefore you just change the wires/remote out for a new one and the cost is around $50-$60.

These headphones are better than the Bose one, which I owned before the Shure.

Worked in metal stamping for years, didn't need to spring for $700 noise cancelling/isolating cans to survive that job, still have my hearing. Not only that, company provided yearly hearing test and it never degraded a shred.

I have over ear Sony Noise Cancelling headphones, they work just fine for the places i want them. I have a friend with Quiet Comforts, does his noise cancelling work better? Yes. Does it work 2x the price better? NO!

Price does not trump common sense.

Furthermore to your "common sense" ideaology, I'd liketo reccommend these:

https://www.complyfoam.com/

Buy these tips, and put them on your favourite ear bud headphones (that allow replaceable tips), and you will essentially have earplugs with sound capability. i've been running this SUPERCHEAP setup for 9 years, and I keep basic, corded earbuds plugged into an iPod nano in my pocket (so pause/play and next track controls are accessible with clutch hand), and it is WIN.

I don't believe any of the digital sound attenuation devices are dynamic enough for riding. Proof seems to be this "popping noise' issue. Passive noise cancelling has been around forever, and it works.

I have the SE315, I've been using them for over 6-7 years same ones, they are fantastic, the noise cancelling

They are not noise cancelling, they are Sound Isolating reducing the ambient noise by about -23 dB ( the claim of -37 is hogwash )

The Bose 20s and the Pioneer Rayz ARE noise cancelling which requires an active circuit. Different animals entirely from regular earphones with attenuation.

Comply or Westone tips make a big difference to sound isolation.

You are using terms you don't quite understand. The Bose and Pioneer are active sound cancelling, not attenuating ( tho that is a factor ).

Passive designs like the Shures are NOT noise cancelling, they attenuate ambient sounds.

I have and use both ....the Pioneer Rayz to my surprise do noise cancel effectively on a motorcycle and are astonishing on a plane ...I just had 13 hours crossing the Pacific and was shocked at how noisy the old 747 was everytime I took the Pioneer earphones out.

Last edited:
If you're stuck on Bose the Halton outlets often have them at significantly reduced prices, Amazon also has them on sale from time to time. I got a refurbished pair at the outlet for less than halfprice with the same warranty. I have them because I travel for work and I usethem on my bike occasionally. They’re great for the plane and airports, butmediocre with the pressure changes in my helmet in my opinion.

Bottom line don’t pay full MRSP if you get the Bose. They’reavailable much cheaper.

I use BeatsX with Comply foam tips. Same noise isolation as the regular foam earplugs while listening to my phone.

They are not noise cancelling, they are Sound Isolating reducing the ambient noise by about -23 dB ( the claim of -37 is hogwash )

You are right, my mistake, never really looked into the science of the headphones that closely, but do love the comfort and sound of my Shure's over the Bose I had. Rode with them from Toronto to NYC 2 years ago and and ride with them everyday on my commute to downtown T.O. Love the silicon in ear sleeves as they adjusts to your own inner ear shape, you really forget they are in your ears for hours.

Also here is a thread with comparisons of the M6 Pro vs Shure SE215 (I have the SE315 which is one higher up model) Seems like the consensuses is that the the Shure are better quality. I do believe you get what you pay for, and Shure is a Pro audio company with a good reputation so to me that adds weight as well, vs companies that also sell you toaster ovens- Panasonic ;)

Last edited:
You are right, my mistake, never really looked into the science of the headphones that closely, but do love the comfort and sound of my Shure's over the Bose I had. Rode with them from Toronto to NYC 2 years ago and and ride with them everyday on my commute to downtown T.O. Love the silicon in ear sleeves as they adjusts to your own inner ear shape, you really forget they are in your ears for hours.

Also here is a thread with comparisons of the M6 Pro vs Shure SE215 (I have the SE315 which is one higher up model) Seems like the consensuses is that the the Shure are better quality. I do believe you get what you pay for, and Shure is a Pro audio company with a good reputation so to me that adds weight as well, vs companies that also sell you toaster ovens- Panasonic ;)

I wonder where the "sonic" in Panasonic comes from......

Perhaps Technics rings a bell??.

[video=youtube;Kmj-3HVX5xA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=Kmj-3HVX5xA[/video]

You rarely get what you pay for in terms of quality for money especially with headphones/earphones. Too much hype and marketing ( Bose notoriously - Beats too) too little reliability and technology.

Panasonic is my goto for reliability and I was in the high end audio market for many years. They are rarely bleeding edge but rather solid engineering and durability.
Pioneer in a similar vein.

You are never getting top end sound quality in a motorcycle environment ....the challenge is durability and decent sound.
Shures are well engineered in that respect.

Furthermore to your "common sense" ideaology, I'd liketo reccommend these:

https://www.complyfoam.com/

Buy these tips, and put them on your favourite ear bud headphones (that allow replaceable tips), and you will essentially have earplugs with sound capability. i've been running this SUPERCHEAP setup for 9 years, and I keep basic, corded earbuds plugged into an iPod nano in my pocket (so pause/play and next track controls are accessible with clutch hand), and it is WIN.

I don't believe any of the digital sound attenuation devices are dynamic enough for riding. Proof seems to be this "popping noise' issue. Passive noise cancelling has been around forever, and it works.

I'm interested in this. Which type did you get?

Buying tips is very confusing .....you need to check your earphone model to get the correct diameter and then choose from several levels of quality....
I think Westone are better than comply and last longer. Comply foam 400s or 500s are very good but wear out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom