motoGP/moto2/moto3 Discussion (no links) | GTAMotorcycle.com

motoGP/moto2/moto3 Discussion (no links)

After today I can't help but wonder how Jorge's time at Ducati could have gone had they given him the current bike set up a year ago.

As much as I don't like him, he's super talented and he might be Jorge from 2015 through the rest of the season.

Also, Marquez' FP4 save was ridiculous. That's what I was expecting to happen during the Mugello race!

Last edited:
It’s no secret that Lorenzo needs to feel at one with the bike for him to perform. Seriously he could win all the remaining races this year....unless it’s raining ;)

Does the same thing repeat itself next year at Honda with Jorge? Marquez just gets on the bike and is immediately at speed. Crutchlow has often criticized the Honda for being a difficult bike to ride, more so than the Ducati.

Casey hopped on the Honda and was competitive. I think George will do better on the Honda than the Duc, if the garage listens to him.

I truly want jorge to succeed not because I like him, but because it keeps the races interesting and competitive

As much as I like mighty mouse, it gets boring watching him win every weekend

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Same. While I don't think JLO can realistically win this year, I'd like him to keep the fight up for as long as possible. When JLO is on form like he was in Muggelo, he just storms off and leaves everyone behind, which always makes for a boring race, so hopefully while he does well from this point of the season onward I'd much prefer he still be able to mix it up with the rest.

Reposting these from the last thread as they were worth sharing and likely got buried in link requests:

JLO might have gotten pole but Marc stole the show, again. He really is something else:

Rear end sliding/spinning:

https://streamable.com/acshy

That amazing save even gave him pause:

https://streamable.com/520k4

I truly want jorge to succeed not because I like him, but because it keeps the races interesting and competitive

As much as I like mighty mouse, it gets boring watching him win every weekend

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edit: Moto3 was PURE carnage!

Last edited:
Casey hopped on the Honda and was competitive. I think George will do better on the Honda than the Duc, if the garage listens to him.

The Honda is known for being difficult to ride. On paper it doesn’t seem like a good match for Jorge.

Great race. Very good to see some competition up front and the battles throughout the race mid pack.

Moto3: it was interesting watching all the riders knock eachother out. Gifted extra points to Bezzechi...

Moto2: Quartararo! Is this an anomaly or are we finally seeing the rider everyone had prognosticated in CEV? That would be an awesome story line to see him do more of this.

MotoGP: Oh boy...can you see the conflicted faces of those in the Ducati garage??

SPOILER ALERT

lmao what a good race. tip of the hat to JL, talk about throwing a couple curve balls from out of nowhere.

cannot wait for the next race.

Happy for JLO, but the race was a bit of a snoozefest.

And that tinfoil hammer at the end was cringeworthy...
Wonder how it would have played out if Lorenzo was a threat to Marquez in the championship. I bet they would have battled more than the first half dozen laps.

Could be interesting in a few more races if it gets closer in the standings.

Wonder how it would have played out if Lorenzo was a threat to Marquez in the championship. I bet they would have battled more than the first half dozen laps.

Yeah, no red mist for MM this race.

Could be interesting in a few more races if it gets closer in the standings.
I'm still not convinced that Ducati is as good an all-rounder as the Honda. JLO got a package that may be good for a track or two but will it deliver the entire season? We'll see.

Man, it's fast down the straights though. No amount of drafting will get you in front of that Duc.

Also interesting what a commentator mentioned about getting out of the slipstream to avoid the front tire overheating. I think it was Crutchlow that brought it up. Never heard that before.

Last edited:
Also interesting what a commentator mentioned about getting out of the slipstream to avoid the front tire overheating. I think it was Crutchlow that brought it up. Never heard that before.

I don't have a good answer to this, but since Michelin returned, I've never heard so much spoken about tires for a single spec series.

I don't have a good answer to this, but since Michelin returned, I've never heard so much spoken about tires for a single spec series.

Seems Carmelo got his wish. He wanted an F1 style tire lottery like they had few years back.

Rossi:

“Tomorrow I expect a strange race, as already happened in Italy - Rossi explains - The reason is that we do not have the right front tyre available to us: the soft is too soft, whereas the medium does not guarantee grip. It will probably take a lot of strategy.”

“The problem is that Michelin did not bring the right front tyres and it was a mistake that could have been avoided, because we tested on this track. I had told them and there could have been another option for the front, midway between the soft and the medium that we have available to us, but they didn’t bring it.”

“I don’t know who and why chooses which tyres to bring. Michelin is doing a good job, but in the last few races, they got it wrong for the front tyre selection they make available to us.”

“I think that everyone is in difficulty. The feeling is that the fastest riders are the ones who struggle less with the tyres, but no one is perfectly okay. When there is only one tyre you can use, like what is happening now, depending on your riding style and the bike, you may struggle more or less.”

Does the situation get worse with the heat?
“Absolutely. In the morning, the track is fantastic, but when the asphalt hits 50°C, everything becomes difficult and grip at the front becomes critical. For tomorrow, I’ll have to hope for a cloudy day (laughing). Another unknown is how grip on the track will change after the Moto2 race. Sometimes it gets very slippery.”

https://www.gpone.com/en/2018/06/16/motogp/rossi-michelin-made-the-wrong-tyre-choices.html

As much as I despise Lorenzo, it was a pretty good showing on his behalf.
But, do you really believe that a single fix of a modified gas tank made him go from upper mid pack to his position in the last 2 races? Or, do you think it might be a placebo effect? Minor mod = perceived huge change?

Yeah, that's an old thing. Riders usually get out of the slipstream to avoid the brakes overheating because of the front bike's exhaust. But, if you think your tyre can't handle it, you also don't want to go too fast, although slipstream in MGP isn't as dramatic so I reckon it's also because of the exhaust. I didn't hear the comment so I don't know which of the two it was
But, do you really believe that a single fix of a modified gas tank made him go from upper mid pack to his position in the last 2 races? Or, do you think it might be a placebo effect? Minor mod = perceived huge change?
It makes sense. More than speed, you need consistency to win. Look at Rossi, no wins, yet he's second in the standings. Lorenzo already showed he had the speed, but he dropped off halfway. Riders are sensitive and you can't know what a bike feels until you've jumped on it. You can't rule out psychological reasons, a big part of winning is psychological. If I had to put an opinion, I'd say gas tank 80%, placebo/confidence 20

I imagine live it would have been a much more interesting race to watch
the battle for 4th that went on forever would have been entertaining to see

but the broadcasters decided replays would be sufficient to cover that
while gushing about the Lorenzo return as he was on cruise control
and MM decided to play it cool as there was no championship threat

very good outing for Rossi, proving his skill is still there
as a racer, and for working with his garage to get decent performance from a bike that is lacking

and a good day for both Crutchlow and Pedrosa
too bad we didn't see much of it

Back
Top Bottom