motoGP/moto2/moto3 Discussion (no links) | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

motoGP/moto2/moto3 Discussion (no links)

Interesting race in GP, not entirely entertaining up until the final laps, but still good to see JLO and Marc fight it out, elbows out and all.

Alex Marquez really was pushing all he could, but the pressure of staying in title contention is making him ride way over his limit and... well, that was unfortunate, but expected to be honest.

Martin is a ****ing champ in the making, that injury to his arm was not something I thought would let him do as well as he did; I thought at best it would be P10 or something (point scoring damage limitation position), good on him for proving the World wrong. (Myself included.)

I still have wonder how much physical damage he is doing to himself that he may not fully appreciate until its too late, but for now it seems to be the right move, which at his age is all that matters.

Yamaha publicly apologizing to Rossi and Vinales this weekend has to be something the higher-ups at Iwata are not taking lightly, it's getting to the point where Lorenzo's input and bike development far exceed any and all face thought to be saved; if I were Jarvis I'd tell the factory riders to take a 30% decrease in pay so that they can get JLO (via a $$$ contract deal) back on a Yamaha, once the constructors championship looks tenable again, all back pay will be honored and that way they all win and they remain committed to the project. Because it's become very clear that neither of the current riders can develop a bike as well as JLO.

Rossi is likely to retire on a blue bike, whenever that may be, but Vinales on a Ducati if Petrux doesn't perform as expected is possible; which would be a shame given how strong he was in 2017 on the Yamaha and how strong JLO has been on the Ducati it as of late.

Because as of right now, no one is beating Marc on an HRC that strong, even with its supposed 'creeping issues' from the beginning of the season; a 59 point lead with just 2 races past mid-season break is unfathomable to recover from unless Marc gets injured and sidelined.

Yamaha publicly apologizing to Rossi and Vinales this weekend has to be something the higher-ups at Iwata are not taking lightly, it's getting to the point where Lorenzo's input and bike development far exceed any and all face thought to be saved; if I were Jarvis I'd tell the factory riders to take a 30% decrease in pay so that they can get JLO (via a $$$ contract deal) back on a Yamaha, once the constructors championship looks tenable again, all back pay will be honored and that way they all win and they remain committed to the project. Because it's become very clear that neither of the current riders can develop a bike as well as JLO.

How do you figure that? The job of the rider is to identify problem areas in the motorcycle for improvement. Both riders have already publicly lamented about the poor acceleration of the M1. After that it's the engineering guys back at the factory to actually figure out *how* to make the bike accelerate faster. Yamaha apologizing to their riders is proof of this.

How would hiring JLo fix the problems at development? He's not the one designing and fabricating engine parts. He's just going to say the same thing: "Bike needs to accelerate faster".

Last edited:
How do you figure that?

How would hiring JLo fix the problems at development? He's just going to say the same thing: "Bike needs to accelerate faster".

The fact that Zarco who is still using the 2016 chassis--last JLO bike, that even he wasn't competitive with that year--is qualifying better than both the works riders to start is where my line of reasoning stems from. But also the recent past at both Yamaha and Ducati.

I'm not sure if you know just how persistent JLO was in the garage when it came to him getting engineers to fix the bike, he went into every painstaking detail so that THEY KNEW EXACTLY what was wrong with the bike and has at times openly refused to ride until his suggestions are implemented. This is mainly why he has reputation for being known to 'throw is toys out the pram,' its because he takes the time to do so and still gets him nowhere, especially at Ducati (as in every point up until Mugello this year) and will be thought to be merely 'complaining' and not delivering on his hype or his salary, despite having more wins than Dovi this year who has been with Ducati longer, and it took him even longer to get his first win.

BT Sports usually has a bunch documentaries of the latest World Champions running before a race session on Friday's practice, and they've had JLO's on repeat for a few races now, and it really highlights why he is as good as he is; essentially he's a huge PITA from a Team Management perspective, which makes getting on with him very difficult, but the development of a bike usually hinges on acute feedback loops, such that a relationship between rider and engineering is merely cordial at best.

And then when the upgrade is made he tends to deliver.

Acceleration looks ok, the instability of the bike looks to be a bigger issue, Rossi was wheeling all over the place during FP and Qualy. And Mav's race was hard to detect as he was in Q2, but after yet another horrid start was not even shown for most of the race. This limits their tire life and subsequently the rate at which they can push for positions.

Its all speculation garnered from interviews and such of course, but its clear that after 2 years its not just that Honda and Ducati have taken a step forward, it's that Yamaha have also taken several steps back in that time, hence Tech 3 and Zarco doing better than the works team. Rossi and Mav can both fight for a title with the previous chassis' (15 and 16 respectively), but have been no where with the 17 onward bikes.

Edit: Well, that's it then... Jarvis confirms satelite riders and they won't include JLO.

Last edited:
Ahh yeah!

I hope Pol recovers for next year, but I wouldn't mind seeing Baz finish the rest of the season on his bike. I'm hoping to see a nice points scoring position for him at Silverstone and maybe another awesome save from the 6'2 rider, he's the only rider that can challenge Marc for save of the year.

[video=youtube;z0LSefliWEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LSefliWEI[/video]

I still don’t understand your love affair with LB.

I could say the same thing about all of you guys and Rossi :cool:, but I just let it slide these days and give the man his due credit when he puts in a good weekend. Which hasn't been for a while now, mind you.

But, lets see how how Baz gets on this weekend, I have a feeling he'll do well at Silverstone as its a track he likes. I still cannot get around my head how Bautista, Smith or Redding still got rides for this year, but Baz got sent to WSBK to ride the BMW. I wonder how'd he do on this year's Pramac satellite bike, but the KTM will do nicely either way.

Jules (Ryder) is on BT sports this weekend, I really miss this guy on the mic! Damn, Marc's low side went on for ages.

Last edited:
Start time moved to 630 am est

I don't suppose this is the first time it's rained there, did something change?

Yes. Track was just repaved. Seems that drainage at the end of the Hangar Straight is very poor.

Rins jumped off his bike at 160kph. Yikes.

Imagine the race gets cancelled because of poor drainage? eesh...

Horrid track conditions, its not looking good; Mav was sliding everywhere leaving the pits onto the grid. Marc is gesticulating its just sliding everywhere, which is really saying something. :/

and tomorrow is not an option....not looking good

again, how in the UK, can they not be prepared for this?

and tomorrow is not an option....not looking good

again, how in the UK, can they not be prepared for this?

Re-paves are pretty odd, they can either go exceptionally well and lauded for their work, or can go horribly wrong and have spent millions ruining a track; F1 guys made it clear it was bad, this just confirms how bad.

Martin Brundle should get Bernie's pickeys to get on the job. ;)

But seriously, its better they call it off, riders falling off from riding around on water would be mildly amusing for 5 mins, then get absurd.

Not sure what they are going to do about refunds for the punters, but this has proven to be really costly. They'll have to move next year's GP on the calendar (August is peak Summer month, too) or go to Brand's Hatch or Donnington or something at this point.

Last edited:
Not sure if Silverstone is confirmed for 2019 but if I were Dorna I wouldn’t be adding them back on the calendar until the drainage and bumpy track issues were fixed.

How about Brands Hatch Indy?! Haha

Back
Top Bottom