Road (ST) Vs Sport Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Road (ST) Vs Sport Tires

roadrash

Hey guys, tire noob here. Need new tires and decided to go with Michelin Pilot Road 4 instead of Power 3 or Dunop Q3, even though I ride a supersport.

I don't track, and mostly commute to work on my bike. I feel Road 4s would be better suited and would last a lot longer given the harder compound.
I have done some research online before arriving at this conclusion.

That said, I still want to ask if anyone sees any reason why I should not be putting Road 4 tires on a SS ? Always sold my bike before tires needed replacing in the past.

Thanks!

good choice
2CT will serve you well for street riding

grip when you need it
flat spot resistant for straight stuff

Hey guys, tire noob here. Need new tires and decided to go with Michelin Pilot Road 4 instead of Power 3 or Dunop Q3, even though I ride a supersport.

I don't track, and mostly commute to work on my bike. I feel Road 4s would be better suited and would last a lot longer given the harder compound.

That said, I still want to ask if anyone sees any reason why I should not be putting Road 4 tires on a SS ? Always sold my bike before tires needed replacing in the past.

Thanks!

P4 will last you a full season easily , I did 18k on my last set. As far as performance they are ok but get kinda squirrly when really hot and I had to work to have no chicky strips not with the q3 or power 3's pretty well first few days its "strip free"....
You cant go wrong with p4s...I gladly give up a bit of performance for the durability unless its one of THOSE rides when its dots or nothing else... lol

Btw as stated above really good in damp or wet condition lots of siping

Last edited:

Thanks!
Or you could save some money, get a better handling tire and get at least the same mileage or more out of a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tire.
Check out prices at Ace Moto Tech.

Or you could save some money, get a better handling tire and get at least the same mileage or more out of a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tire.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will research that tire. Although I'm a huge Michelin fan. After having exceptional customer service experience with them on my car tires, I've made it a point to always buy Michelin.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will research that tire. Although I'm a huge Michelin fan. After having exceptional customer service experience with them on my car tires, I've made it a point to always buy Michelin.

Pilot roads are great tires, you don't need anything more from a tire to ride Ontario's canyon roads. Great tire in the rain, very little feathering and good longevity. Only downside they have a weird feeling when riding over tar snakes on a hot day.

Pilot roads are great tires, you don't need anything more from a tire to ride Ontario's canyon roads. Great tire in the rain, very little feathering and good longevity. Only downside they have a weird feeling when riding over tar snakes on a hot day.
I switched to Road Pilot 4GTs (note - GTs are harder and made for heavy high powered STs) on my FJR, they are great and they last. I get about 20K out of the rears and 12k out of the fronts. That's more than double what the OE BT20s delivered. RP4 GTs don't like the cold, I imaging the non GT are softer so they might not have the same problem - I've had the rear get squirrely early & late in the season.

I had Pirelli Angel GTs on my SS, they were cheaper and handled better than RP4s, wore evenly and lasted about 15K on a Busa. I felt more confident on the Angel GTs and think they are a better commuter tire for an SS.

A riding buddy just switched to Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs from RP4GT - he's on a full size ST and loves them. He claims the Dunlops handle better and after 10K, the front and rear are about 1/2 and wearing evenly - he's expecting to change both at 20K and he rides hard.

My next set will be Dunlops. They are also $200 pair cheaper than RP4GTs, and Dunlop also has a $75 rebate on now for further savings.

Since I've already found myself in this thread... anyone rolling on Road 5s yet? Or GPR-300s? I haven't been back in the world of radials for a while, so the last fancy tires I bought were PR2s... and while they were indeed good tires, I didn't like how they felt on turn-in

Is the Road 5 not out yet?

It is but being a new tire, no one has any idea how they behave or last yet.

Michelin claims that a worn PR5 will do better in the rain then a brand new PR4. As you wear the tire the sips gradually get larger. However...Michelin claims lots of things, for instance a Power RS can last 10K. Yea right, maybe on a scooter.

good choice
2CT will serve you well for street riding

grip when you need it
flat spot resistant for straight stuff

+1 on 2CT. Affordable price and are lasting much longer than I thought. I have put 4000km's on the 2CT this year and have yet to see a flat spot! This is a mix between commuting to work and some fun in the twistier roads north of city. Super sticky in corners when needed, absorb bumps nicely, and are wearing down fantastic. I think I may get 2x the km on the 2CT in comparison to the battlax s20 evo I had previously :)

Michelin claims that a worn PR5 will do better in the rain then a brand new PR4. As you wear the tire the sips gradually get larger. However...Michelin claims lots of things, for instance a Power RS can last 10K. Yea right, maybe on a scooter.

Yep, thats why i'd rather hear the opinion of other riders and people who have used them, rather than Michelin PR speak before making my decision to buy one.

another suggestion that I've had good luck with
Pirelli Angel ST

had a set on an FZ6
unbelievably good in the wet, like crazy confidence inspiring
very nice on tip in, just all around good feeling tire

they are also 2CT, sold that bike with 15K on those tires and lots left on them
liter sport bike and aggressive riding may be a bit much for them though

tbh any modern day current gen tire by a major manufac. is going to be good.

Go with what fits your budget, and what you preferences are

Look at the bridgstone T30 evo or the new 30t. I switched from michelin to bridgstone on my FZ1 ( glad i did) and found a vast improvement in handling..i think they will last longer than the michelin also. Great sport tour tire and fantastic wet and dry...no squirming like the mich either

tbh any modern day current gen tire by a major manufac. is going to be good.

Go with what fits your budget, and what you preferences are

Very true, and typically any new tire you spoon on your bike will feel vastly superior to the worn out **** you are taking off.

From my personal experience Roadsmart 3 are vastly inferior compared to PR4. I will be going to Road 5 for my next set.
Wear is unsatisfactory on the Dunlops and they feel squirmy when cornering hard. Also wet traction is mediocre.
They are still decent tires, and much cheaper than Michelins, however I would not buy them again.

Back
Top Bottom