Anyone still torrent? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone still torrent?

I’m oldschool, I remember when UseNet was the internet versions of BBS’s - discussion forums. Files were but a tiny percentage of traffic back then.

A lot of my old UseNet content from the late 80’s and early 90’s is still out there in the ether, and Google can still dig it up. Sure glad I’m not ashamed whatsoever of any of it - many of the current generation will surely not feel the same in 20-30 years.

$4000 seems excessive. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the links but would love to know where that number came from. Is that an individual payment, or $4000 split between x number of John Doe's?

Individual settlements - and $4,000 and doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering legal fees. A partner at Aird&Berlis would charge $600/hr minimum; and although it's not likely Ken Clark is doing the majority of work, legal fees add up quickly and for it to make any sense for a top tier firm to handle the case they are not going to settle for peanuts.

Torrents are old-school. No real "techies" would ever use torrents. Even private trackers are slow to get new content, despite people using seedboxes.

Self proclaimed techies will all chime in here and say they use them...but these people aren't truly tech enthusiasts, rather mainstream prosumers.

Torrents are a simple method for the general public to obtain and share digital good with eachother...but most guys involved in "scene releases" actually don't use torrents.

If you really want to avoid torrents and get the same if not better content, much much faster, consider using a usenet provider. I'd recommend avoiding usenet providers in North America though as they are forced respond to DCMA takedown requests.

The best part of using usenet is its never peer to peer, no ratio, and your ISP can't throttle or track what you're downloading, and are delivered over SSL. You don't have to waste any upload bandwidth. If those reasons alone aren't enough, usenet will MAX out your internet download speed, in my case 1.1gbps (yes, my download speeds at my house exceed gigabit). You also can automate it and make custom PVR's or tie into home automation with free software such as sonarr for tv, radarr for movies, headphones for music, and even use jackett for backup torrents if you really want to automate torrents as a backup in Home Theatre PC type setups.

So "real" techies are people who use usenet... umm r i g h t.

You are saying all your gear at home is cat6 or better to get over 1000mbs? You realize gigabit speeds are theoretical and never reach the maximum speeds quoted?

Outside the even slightly geeky (or old) internet crowd today probably 90% of modern day internet users would have no idea whatsoever what usenet even is if you asked them, or if they use it for files, what it USED to be used for.

You are saying all your gear at home is cat6 or better to get over 1000mbs? You realize gigabit speeds are theoretical and never reach the maximum speeds quoted?

Facepalm.

I have a gigabit connection at home as well. I can get near a full 1000 mbit saturation over AC WiFi to the internet, much less wired. Over Cat6 I can exceed it easily - my connection is actually slightly over-provisioned last I checked.

Over cat6e, transferring files between computers on a local network, well over 1 gigabit is real world. Up to 10gbit actually.

Saying 1gbit is "theoretical" is silly. It's easily achieved in a home environment today, not even mentioning commercial or server farms which drastically exceed it as part of what makes the internet work.

Over cat6e, transferring files between computers on a local network, well over 1 gigabit is real world. Up to 10gbit actually.

not arguing, but you must have some fantastic gear if you're getting that

I've got a NAS box with 2 WD Red drives in RAID0
theotetically should be close to gigabit output, write is a bit slower

CAT5 to a desktop with gigabit network adaptor, 3 foot cable run
best I can get is around 120 Mbs

bottleneck is the PC's architecture and the write speed of receiving drive
over wifi to the other PC, phones, TV's etc is slower

anyway, it is fast enough for my purposes

CAT5 to a desktop with gigabit network adaptor, 3 foot cable run
best I can get is around 120 Mbs

bottleneck is the PC's architecture and the write speed of receiving drive
over wifi to the other PC, phones, TV's etc is slower

120 Mbs sounds suspiciously close to 802.11n speeds, which means wifi is definitely the bottleneck. Can you wire up the receiving drive?

Real techies get their Andy Griffith episodes via WASTE network

hell yeah I know what I'm saying, and yes I get speeds greater than gigabit in my house....
I have SFP being fed directly into my homelab servers, bypassing the bell equipment totally as described here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000
My server gets 1.2gbps download and about 970mbps upload.

(Of course my desktop only gets around 940mbps because it's copper, I'm still in the process of changing my entire network over to a 10gbps network)

You should do some homework before calling people out :p
Some simple research would tell you that the average person can exceed gigabit speeds for minimal cost now.
For $30 bucks anyone can start their 10gb network https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC522SF...568025&hash=item281b159afc:g:kpMAAOSwxp9W6m0~

And I stand behind my comment that torrents are for mainstream users that want to do peer to peer sharing of files.
Real techies don't all use usenet, but they certainly don't do public peer to peer torrents. In RARE occasions there may be a need for a private tracker if there is absolutely no other way to get a specific file.

Torrents are also a much slower way of getting digital goods.

Last edited:
I’m oldschool, I remember when UseNet was the internet versions of BBS’s - discussion forums. Files were but a tiny percentage of traffic back then.

A lot of my old UseNet content from the late 80’s and early 90’s is still out there in the ether, and Google can still dig it up. Sure glad I’m not ashamed whatsoever of any of it - many of the current generation will surely not feel the same in 20-30 years.

Love this!

It's amazing to see what usenet has turned into!

120 Mbs sounds suspiciously close to 802.11n speeds, which means wifi is definitely the bottleneck. Can you wire up the receiving drive?

NAS and client are both CAT5 to the router

pretty sure it's the write speed of the client HDD holding back file transfers
and I typed that wrong, I'm seeing 120 MBs

need to get a client with SSD on a wired connection to see what the network can actually do
but the other PC's, all laptops, are wifi only, so although they are SSD machines, wifi is the bottleneck there

edit: I will just show myself out of the thread now
seeing that 120MBs. is actually gigabit...

and I'm happy that my NAS/network are actually doing a decent job :)

Last edited:
Only once people respond to the letter (which is unwise) is your personal privacy blown.

Simply don't respond.

Those who did not respond are now being slapped with default judgements of $5000... OUCH!

Judgment dated 11-JUL-2018 rendered by The Honourable Mr. Justice Barnes Matter considered without personal appearance The Court's decision is with regard to Letter from Plaintiff dated 29-JUN-2018 Result: judgment as against Doe Defendant #17, statutory damages awarded in the amount of $5,000... Filed on 11-JUL-2018 copies sent to parties entered in J. & O. Book, volume 1377 page(s) 166 - 167 Final Decision

http://cas-cdc-www02.cas-satj.gc.ca...info_e.php?select_court=All&court_no=T-909-17

Four judgments were made on the 11th... $20k for the trollers to keep trolling. Definitely not wise to "do nothing" if you get served...

pqwLyqd.png

Last edited:
Definitely not wise to "do nothing" if you get served...

Getting served by a legal notice is a lot different than the typical "scare tactic" letter they send out, which again, when sent via the "notice and notice" system is far from being "served".

working out west for a bit
ISP where I'm staying is Telus
internet is locked up tight
P2P throttled back to almost nothing
even with my excellent paid VPN
packet sniffing through the encryption kills it

VPNs are absolutely no guarantee you won't get caught. I had one and got a notice complete with IP, time, name of movie etc. I have since stopped downloading, mainly because most of the movies these days suck. But no matter, this has become big business and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

VPNs are absolutely no guarantee you won't get caught. I had one and got a notice complete with IP, time, name of movie etc. I have since stopped downloading, mainly because most of the movies these days suck. But no matter, this has become big business and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

How did that happen? What client were you using? Did you use a proxy in your torrent program as well as your VPN? Did you force all connections to be encrypted?

I don't trust the "Kill Switch" features. When the VPN connects, it sets up its own adapter. The torrent program Vuze can be set to only use this adapter and if the VPN fails or isn't running, Vuze doesn't see any internet at all.

Back
Top Bottom