Frayed Clutch Cable | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frayed Clutch Cable

Any dealership that doesn't keep disposable items like a clutch cable in stock is not serious about supporting their product, even worse when that is the importer/distributor, what replacement parts are they stocking nothing? Yamaha dealership and their distributor needs to get real, that stuff is lucky to survive the warranty period. Shame on them and good for having the foresight to keep a spare on hand.

I went to the largest Yamaha dealer in TO
looking for sprockets for a 2015 bike

no stock, special order
for one of the most basic wear parts on a bike
disgraceful

and they biatch about Amazon

Any dealership that doesn't keep disposable items like a clutch cable in stock is not serious about supporting their product, even worse when that is the importer/distributor, what replacement parts are they stocking nothing? Yamaha dealership and their distributor needs to get real, that stuff is lucky to survive the warranty period. Shame on them and good for having the foresight to keep a spare on hand.

I don't expect them to carry every single clutch cable for every model they sell, what's next every throttle cable and brake line should be in stock? Place would probably go bankrupt within 6 months. The fact that Yamaha Canada didn't have the part could probably mean one of two things, either the part is extremely hot and availability is an issue from the motherland or supplier, or it's a part that is not regularly sold. I was out of action for a week, not the end of the world.

They are Yamaha Canada and they sold how many of that model? Yes I do believe they should have the consumable replacement parts on hand for current product, it's not like they are going to be stuck with the inventory and it's not like the parts are not already marked up 300%
Not keeping obsolete parts is understandable.

Once two or three of the strands go the rest of the cable seem to follow pretty quickly. They aren't all made equally either and there are some companies making aftermarket cables to a much higher standard then often OEM, and vice versa. They like a clean straight pull, any kinks and they will go quickly and usually at a less than helpful moment.

I've had to make up my own on occasion as some of the stuff I fix hasn't seen parts since the 50's, waiting a week for a real part is better.

This was a problem when BMW introduced the K75 and K100.
The clutch lever also retracted the side stand.
These bikes would only start in neural but riders who had learned to ride on other bikes still pulled in the clutch to start with the side stand down and contacting the ground.
Some were having the cable replaced every 15 to 20K until another rider told them the problem.

German uber engineering, creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. For every true innovation they have a file of just silly.

Apparently sometimes uber engineering works, my 1986 K100RS is still on its original dry clutch and cable. The only thing it seems to wear out fast is tires and brake pads. Never use the side stand on a longitudinal engine K bike, the engine oil leaks down into the cylinders if it's leaned over to the left that far for very long. ... I imagine that might happen with the left cylinder on a boxer twin too ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom