Grip Puppies -- anyone use them?

Thread: Grip Puppies -- anyone use them?

Grip Puppies -- anyone use them?

Forum Sponsor
    I recently started riding a DL650, the handlebars are a tiny bit buzzy and it's numbing my right hand. My old hands have lived a hard life and arthritis has moved in.

I'm looking to soften the buzz and increase the diameter to make gripping the bars a little more comfortable. I already have heavy HVMP bar ends, looking for feedback on Grip Puppies or any other grip solutions that might cut the vibration and increase grip girth. I'm not going to change to 1" bars and controls, would like a solution that works with 7/8" bars.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

Re: Grip Puppies -- anyone use them?

Yeah for sure - the ones that don't require sliding on are my fav.

Maybe Grip Buddies - will look later

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a

Have slide on ones on a couple bikes, great feel but you have to get used to fatter profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    I recently started riding a DL650, the handlebars are a tiny bit buzzy and it's numbing my right hand. My old hands have lived a hard life and arthritis has moved in.

I'm looking to soften the buzz and increase the diameter to make gripping the bars a little more comfortable. I already have heavy HVMP bar ends, looking for feedback on Grip Puppies or any other grip solutions that might cut the vibration and increase grip girth. I'm not going to change to 1" bars and controls, would like a solution that works with 7/8" bars.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Am 60+ and have used Grip Puppies on my bike for 10 years & swear by them. Good for cross-town biking and day long hauls.
    They are a problem for small hands because they increase the handle diameter. But once you get used to that they are great. Oh and they are compatible with heated grips which when touring is a plus!

You could also try the $5 foam bicycle grips sold at Cdn. Tire.
    They're tight going on, but if you warm them up in boiling water and use a little dish soap as lube... They go on nice.
    Had them on my 1250 Bandit for years and now also on my FJR...

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Do you find the heavier bar ends helped with the vibaration/numbness? I find on any highway rides ~2 hrs and longer I have some numbness set in. I had considered heavier bar ends but the reviews on their effectiveness have been mixed to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Yeah for sure - the ones that don't require sliding on are my fav.

Maybe Grip Buddies - will look later
    Grip Buddies are better in my opinion
    http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com

Easier to put on and does the same thing. I have used both Grip Puppies and Grip Buddies and will take Grip Buddies over the other.

Hairspray also works well as a lube to slip them on and then goes tacky and seems to work as a glue to stop them twisting or coming off

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    You could also try the $5 foam bicycle grips sold at Cdn. Tire.
    They're tight going on, but if you warm them up in boiling water and use a little dish soap as lube... They go on nice.
    Had them on my 1250 Bandit for years and now also on my FJR...

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post

Easier to put on and does the same thing. I have used both Grip Puppies and Grip Buddies and will take Grip Buddies over the other.
    I use these on my KTM. I’ve had the slide on ones before too. The grip buddies are better.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

I bought a set of Gel grips that are supposed to be really good, when I got my Barkbusters.

After I installed the Barkbusters, I stopped noticing the vibration, so they'll sit on the shelf until I have a new use for them.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Everyone likes to think that they may be the smartest person in the room, but sometimes that only occurs when we're alone!

That's it and on a Strom you don't want anything else

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a

Quote Originally Posted by SVeezy View Post
    Do you find the heavier bar ends helped with the vibaration/numbness? I find on any highway rides ~2 hrs and longer I have some numbness set in. I had considered heavier bar ends but the reviews on their effectiveness have been mixed to say the least.
    I had a tiny buzz in my FJR, heavy bar ends cancelled that out completely.

I put them on the DL650 with high hopes -- no joy -- didn't help.

Going to try the grip puppies, if that doesn't work I'll play with some internal solutions -- bar snakes, bbs etc.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

I swapped my bars out for the stronger ProTaper bars and the vibrations are no more and I don't use bar ends at all.
    I dropped the DL my first year of owning it and the bars bent pretty easy. Maybe they are stronger on the 2nd gen though.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

I had a tiny buzz in my FJR, heavy bar ends cancelled that out completely.

I put them on the DL650 with high hopes -- no joy -- didn't help.

Going to try the grip puppies, if that doesn't work I'll play with some internal solutions -- bar snakes, bbs etc.
    You check the torque on your engine mounts/metal to metal connections yet? I do a general retorque on the KTM every few months. Some bolts need it, some don’t. These twins shake a lot loose.

I tried larger diameter foam grips in the past. Didn't like the bigger diameter. But that would depend on your hand size.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    I tried larger diameter foam grips in the past. Didn't like the bigger diameter. But that would depend on your hand size.
    Yah, I am opposite, I found the grips a bit small so the reason for going with Grip Buddies was a larger diameter which made it more comfortable.