Grip Puppies -- anyone use them? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Grip Puppies -- anyone use them?

Mad Mike

I recently started riding a DL650, the handlebars are a tiny bit buzzy and it's numbing my right hand. My old hands have lived a hard life and arthritis has moved in.

I'm looking to soften the buzz and increase the diameter to make gripping the bars a little more comfortable. I already have heavy HVMP bar ends, looking for feedback on Grip Puppies or any other grip solutions that might cut the vibration and increase grip girth. I'm not going to change to 1" bars and controls, would like a solution that works with 7/8" bars.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Have slide on ones on a couple bikes, great feel but you have to get used to fatter profile.

I recently started riding a DL650, the handlebars are a tiny bit buzzy and it's numbing my right hand. My old hands have lived a hard life and arthritis has moved in.

I'm looking to soften the buzz and increase the diameter to make gripping the bars a little more comfortable. I already have heavy HVMP bar ends, looking for feedback on Grip Puppies or any other grip solutions that might cut the vibration and increase grip girth. I'm not going to change to 1" bars and controls, would like a solution that works with 7/8" bars.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Am 60+ and have used Grip Puppies on my bike for 10 years & swear by them. Good for cross-town biking and day long hauls.
They are a problem for small hands because they increase the handle diameter. But once you get used to that they are great. Oh and they are compatible with heated grips which when touring is a plus!

You could also try the $5 foam bicycle grips sold at Cdn. Tire.
They're tight going on, but if you warm them up in boiling water and use a little dish soap as lube... They go on nice.
Had them on my 1250 Bandit for years and now also on my FJR...

Thoughts? Experiences?

Do you find the heavier bar ends helped with the vibaration/numbness? I find on any highway rides ~2 hrs and longer I have some numbness set in. I had considered heavier bar ends but the reviews on their effectiveness have been mixed to say the least.

Hairspray also works well as a lube to slip them on and then goes tacky and seems to work as a glue to stop them twisting or coming off

You could also try the $5 foam bicycle grips sold at Cdn. Tire.
They're tight going on, but if you warm them up in boiling water and use a little dish soap as lube... They go on nice.
Had them on my 1250 Bandit for years and now also on my FJR...

I bought a set of Gel grips that are supposed to be really good, when I got my Barkbusters.

After I installed the Barkbusters, I stopped noticing the vibration, so they'll sit on the shelf until I have a new use for them.

Do you find the heavier bar ends helped with the vibaration/numbness? I find on any highway rides ~2 hrs and longer I have some numbness set in. I had considered heavier bar ends but the reviews on their effectiveness have been mixed to say the least.
I had a tiny buzz in my FJR, heavy bar ends cancelled that out completely.

I put them on the DL650 with high hopes -- no joy -- didn't help.

Going to try the grip puppies, if that doesn't work I'll play with some internal solutions -- bar snakes, bbs etc.

I swapped my bars out for the stronger ProTaper bars and the vibrations are no more and I don't use bar ends at all.
I dropped the DL my first year of owning it and the bars bent pretty easy. Maybe they are stronger on the 2nd gen though.

I had a tiny buzz in my FJR, heavy bar ends cancelled that out completely.

I put them on the DL650 with high hopes -- no joy -- didn't help.

Going to try the grip puppies, if that doesn't work I'll play with some internal solutions -- bar snakes, bbs etc.

You check the torque on your engine mounts/metal to metal connections yet? I do a general retorque on the KTM every few months. Some bolts need it, some don’t. These twins shake a lot loose.

I tried larger diameter foam grips in the past. Didn't like the bigger diameter. But that would depend on your hand size.

Back
Top Bottom