Help! Lowest quote $9800!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help! Lowest quote $9800!!

Hey guys, I am currently struggling to find a decent insurance quote. I obtained my M1 April 2017, and then went on and took the safety course provided by Riders Training Institute and obtained my M2 in May 2017. I started with an '08 Ninja 250 in which I was insured under Todd Bethell at State Farm for $3,397 for the year. Unfortunately, I was involved in a "not-at-fault" accident which resulted in my bike being written off. The obvious next step was to cancel my insurance and pay the "pro-rate" difference. I then went and bought my buddies '04 ZX6R as my next bike without getting insurance quotes first (which was stupid of me). So when this season started, I have been calling around and the lowest quote I got was $9800 a year and the most outrageous being $45000 a year. Yes, you read right..$45,000 a year. End of the day if it comes down to it and I can't find a better quote, my only option left would be to insure it for the riding months, and then cancel it during the off season and pay the "pro-rate" difference. I am turning 21 in August , currently holding on to a G2 but have my G test coming up in July. No at-fault accidents. A couple (2 I believe) tickets that drop off my record next year. And not eligible to take my M test till next year. I am in desperate need of advice and help! If you know any insurance companies/brokers that I should try or any other advice please comment below. Thanks!

You need to slow down and do some more research. Cancelling insurance during the off-season saves you nothing (and will likely make insurance cost more next year).

You are young, have a few months of insurance history on a small bike, have a crash and some tickets. Take your lumps, sell the SS and buy another small bike. You will not find affordable insurance on the bike you currently own.

EDIT:
What do you think would be a decent insurance quote? You were paying $3400 for a 30hp bike and now have a ~110hp bike. What did you think insurance would cost?

Last edited:
New rider with limited experience and a claim.

Honestly, it’s a long road to seeing anything better.

Suggest just going without two wheels or back to quotes for a 250. Once you have some idea on costs for the 250, decide if you still want to ride or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to clarify, the $9800/year is not "non-affordable" it's just I'm hoping to find the absolute lowest and best deal. And the accident I was not at fault (the guys rear ended me) so that should not affect my quote. I know the more cost-effective choice is to get a non supersport but unfortunately I am stubborn like that and have grown to love this bike to much and unwilling to sell it. Also another thing I forgot to add. One insurance broker I spoke to while attempt to get a quote told me that I am not allowed to ride a motorcycle if my case from the accident last year is still open (I have been off work since August 23,2017, currently doing physio twice a week, and have an open case in progress of suing the opposing party who hit me). This sounds ******** to me but can anyone confirm??

Sorry to clarify, the $9800/year is not "non-affordable" it's just I'm hoping to find the absolute lowest and best deal. And the accident I was not at fault (the guys rear ended me) so that should not affect my quote. I know the more cost-effective choice is to get a non supersport but unfortunately I am stubborn like that and have grown to love this bike to much and unwilling to sell it. Also another thing I forgot to add. One insurance broker I spoke to while attempt to get a quote told me that I am not allowed to ride a motorcycle if my case from the accident last year is still open (I have been off work since August 23,2017, currently doing physio twice a week, and have an open case in progress of suing the opposing party who hit me). This sounds ******** to me but can anyone confirm??

If you were paying ~$3400 for a ninja 250, what did you expect for a bike with 4x the power?

If you're being compensated for your wages for being "too injured" to work, you're probably "too injured" to ride a motorcycle. If you are being compensated and you were to get back on a motorcycle, it'll probably work against your case. That being said, I'm no expert and could be wrong - you should probably re-read anything you signed to verify.

Just to put things into perspective in regards to that bike (or similar), people with clean records at that age get quotes between $6k-13k/yr. You'll probably be sitting with these quotes until you hit 25.

Last edited:
$9800 isn't that bad. I mean, if that's the bike you want to ride, what's stopping ya?

Sorry to clarify, the $9800/year is not "non-affordable"

Then what's the problem...?
'Sounds like $9800 is your best deal so... Take it.

I'm sure lots of people could "afford" to shell out $10k on insurance for a recreational vehicle, but I'm thinking most would choose to do something more responsible with that much bread.

Fear not though... if you live long enough your insurance woes will subside.
At 52 I pay $900 on a bike with 140HP.

You just need to wait a bit

Last edited:
jesus how the **** do you get quoted for 3.4k on a 250?

This was before the accident claim....

At this point...
1.just get a 250,
2.get better rates with facility
3.Stop riding

jesus how the **** do you get quoted for 3.4k on a 250?

This was before the accident claim....

At this point...just get a 250, or you'll probably get better rates with facility

I was quoted $3500/yr liability only for a CBR125 with a clean record (and newly licensed - M2) at 18 years old. Yes, I called around, yes this was the cheapest quote, no, I didn't ride that year - $1900 the next year.

This was 6 or 7 years ago.

I was quoted $3500/yr liability only for a CBR125 with a clean record (and newly licensed - M2) at 18 years old. Yes, I called around, yes this was the cheapest quote, no, I didn't ride that year - $1900 the next year.

This was 6 or 7 years ago.

Did you try facility? A lot of times I hear when companies give you the **** you quote, facility probably ends up being cheaper, although still probably high

Did you try facility? A lot of times I hear when companies give you the **** you quote, facility probably ends up being cheaper, although still probably high

I believe this was through Nordic (Facility) - through a broker. Same thing from what I understood. Forgot to mention, they wanted 1 upfront payment.
Compared to others, I believe this quote was ~$300-$400 cheaper.

Last edited:
Do they go buy another name? I cant find them online

Any broker can give you a facility quote. You can't get one directly. All brokers should quote exactly the same rate for facility.

I would call Dalton Timmis, Mitchell and Whale, and/or Paul South. They all seem to have a good reputation and are knowledgeable about bike insurance.

You’re here looking for advice so here it is...

If you are claiming to be unable to work and have an open lawsuit claiming this and looking for financial compensation...the parties being sued are watching you just waiting for you to slip up so they can get the claim thrown out.

If you do get caught, expect to be charged/counter-sued for fraud and anything else they can get you for.

When your employer finds out, don’t expect them to welcome you back with open arms and good luck finding a new job.

Is it really worth the risk?

Put a cover over that bike and wait until the dust settles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sell the ZX6-R now, while it still has the summer boost value. That +$9800 will buy a pretty sweet bike later

Save 10K on insurance, take the 04 to the track and spend that money on track time and coaching. Enjoy the bike as it was meant to be used and with 10K a year you could be on the track once a week at the least. Since it sounds like you aren't working you'll be able to take advantage of all the mid week track time.

Paying 10K a year for insurance is pure stupidity even IF you can afford it.

Sell the ZX6-R now, while it still has the summer boost value. That +$9800 will buy a pretty sweet bike later
This

Save 10K on insurance, take the 04 to the track and spend that money on track time and coaching. Enjoy the bike as it was meant to be used and with 10K a year you could be on the track once a week at the least. Since it sounds like you aren't working you'll be able to take advantage of all the mid week track time.

and even better, this.

I was going to bring that up, but even if he wants to track, he is far ahead by selling the streetbike he owns and buying a bike that has already been setup for the track. He sounds younger than his age would suggest, so I don't think trying to have a rational discussion is worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom