2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Oil leak? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Oil leak?

amitd7

Hello fellow riders,

I am a new beginner rider, I have recently purchased a kawasaki ninja 250r 2010 and a bad situation had happened, I dropped the bike on the right side going about 10-15km/h, the rear light and fender is scratched aswell as the rear brake mount (35063E 35063-0627-18R STAY,STEP HOLDER, REAR, RIGHT HAND on snow city website) But I have another problem....

Whenever I start the bike it leaks oil, and when I pull in the clutch it makes a fuzzy noise, is it because theres low oil? Do I need a new clutch?

The oil leak is NOT from me changing oils, it is bleeding onto my chain. I suppose I damaged something that holds the oil?

I've searched alongside the internet to find no remorse of help, only oil leak help I've seen is when people overfill whilst conducting the oil change making the oil bleed into the air tank which leaks onto the chain?

https://imgur.com/NCOpoy9 (SIDE VIEW LEFT SIDE)

https://imgur.com/DPJKr5j (UNDERNEATH)

https://imgur.com/a/xXRBml3 (BROKEN FOOT REST RIGHT SIDE)

Do I need to spend like $500 to fix this?

Last edited:
1) Check the oil level, replenish if its low.
2) Pull the lid off the air filter box (PITA) and see if it has oil in the bottom.
3) If there is, swab out the air box, drain the vent hose, start it up and see if the leak is gone.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

It looks like it's leaking quite a bit. You should be careful about riding it as I'm sure the tire is seeing more than it's share of oil too. I'd really get it to a repair shop to have this problem look at.

Having said that, to me it sorta maybe looks like it could be a countershaft sprocket seal leak.

Maybe once the right-side peg is fixed you can take the bike to a coin-op wash along with a can of Gunk degreaser. Degrease the underside of the engine (don't spray high-pressure water directly onto the chain...) and when you get home, try to get a look to see where fresh oil is coming from. The condition of the shift lever in the left-side pic suggests to me that the bike's been down on the left-side too. Maybe something was cracked or damaged then.

Hello fellow riders,

I am a new beginner rider, I have recently purchased a kawasaki ninja 250r 2010 and a bad situation had happened, I dropped the bike on the right side going about 10-15km/h, the rear light and fender is scratched aswell as the rear brake mount (35063E 35063-0627-18R STAY,STEP HOLDER, REAR, RIGHT HAND on snow city website) But I have another problem....

Whenever I start the bike it leaks oil, and when I pull in the clutch it makes a fuzzy noise, is it because theres low oil? Do I need a new clutch?

The oil leak is NOT from me changing oils, it is bleeding onto my chain. I suppose I damaged something that holds the oil?

I've searched alongside the internet to find no remorse of help, only oil leak help I've seen is when people overfill whilst conducting the oil change making the oil bleed into the air tank which leaks onto the chain?

https://imgur.com/NCOpoy9 (SIDE VIEW LEFT SIDE)

https://imgur.com/DPJKr5j (UNDERNEATH)

https://imgur.com/a/xXRBml3 (BROKEN FOOT REST RIGHT SIDE)

Do I need to spend like $500 to fix this?
Most likely leaking from the sprocket seal. Here's what to do:

1) Sniff the mess - can you detect any gasoline smell in the drips AND/OR when you pop the oil fill cap? If so, you probably have a float stuck OR a petcock issue, both are known issues with Ex250s, they cause the oil to thin and overflow through the seal. If you do smell gas, service the petcock, carbs then do an oil & filter change.

2) If you don't smell gas OR you did and have finished point 1 and still have a leak, check the seal behind the drive sprocket. The seal can be removed and replaced DIY - all you need is a pick to pull the old seal, it takes about 1/2 and hour, the seals are about $5.

1) Check the oil level, replenish if its low.
2) Pull the lid off the air filter box (PITA) and see if it has oil in the bottom.
3) If there is, swab out the air box, drain the vent hose, start it up and see if the leak is gone.

The engine oil is filled above maximum, I checked the clear glass and its all the way to the top... is this too much?

I don't wanna take it to the shop because I dont have a lot of spending money right now.. got the peg fixed (part was $100+ tax) but I installed it by myself which was easy... will checkout sprocket leak soon! thank you
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

It looks like it's leaking quite a bit. You should be careful about riding it as I'm sure the tire is seeing more than it's share of oil too. I'd really get it to a repair shop to have this problem look at.

Having said that, to me it sorta maybe looks like it could be a countershaft sprocket seal leak.

Maybe once the right-side peg is fixed you can take the bike to a coin-op wash along with a can of Gunk degreaser. Degrease the underside of the engine (don't spray high-pressure water directly onto the chain...) and when you get home, try to get a look to see where fresh oil is coming from. The condition of the shift lever in the left-side pic suggests to me that the bike's been down on the left-side too. Maybe something was cracked or damaged then.

Won't be the gasoline, it's a orange like oil so must inevitably be the engine oil being filled above maximum i suppose? The clear glass which shows engine oil level was full to the top (or even more) when I stood the bike up straight.
Most likely leaking from the sprocket seal. Here's what to do:

1) Sniff the mess - can you detect any gasoline smell in the drips AND/OR when you pop the oil fill cap? If so, you probably have a float stuck OR a petcock issue, both are known issues with Ex250s, they cause the oil to thin and overflow through the seal. If you do smell gas, service the petcock, carbs then do an oil & filter change.

2) If you don't smell gas OR you did and have finished point 1 and still have a leak, check the seal behind the drive sprocket. The seal can be removed and replaced DIY - all you need is a pick to pull the old seal, it takes about 1/2 and hour, the seals are about $5.

Won't be the gasoline, it's a orange like oil so must inevitably be the engine oil being filled above maximum i suppose? The clear glass which shows engine oil level was full to the top (or even more) when I stood the bike up straight.

It won't be straight gasoline. Mike's point is that in some situations, gasoline can get mixed with oil. This may cause problems with excess pressure due to the high oil level as well as problems with thinned out oil.

Why was the oil level so high? Did it leak before the crash? Did you change the oil or add any oil after the crash?

The engine oil is filled above maximum, I checked the clear glass and its all the way to the top... is this too much?

YES. Drain and refill until its midway in the sight glass. And check with the bike vertical, not on its sidestand.
If its been grossly overfilled (as mentioned before) the oil can migrate into the airbox and contaminate the filter.
Check it.

Last edited:
Gasoline in the crankcase won't change the color of your oil, it increases the level, thins the oil (reduces viscosity) and depreciates the oil's lubrication qualities.

It can happen if one of your carbs has a stuck float. When a float sticks, fuel dribbles thru the carb into the cylinder and passes by the piston rings into the crankcase when the engine is NOT RUNNING. Once gasoline reaches the crankcase, gasoline thinned oil increases can pass through seals. It can also make a mess of your engine for a variety of reasons.

A few drips here and there will self correct as the engine heats up, a large scale dilution can destroy your engine. Anytime the sight glass is above or below the acceptable range, immediate action is required to avoid engine damage.

Back
Top Bottom