Installing a turn indicator beeper?



Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

  1. #1

    Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Anyone know how to install this module on a Vstrom 650 2016?

    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M33EX59/..._X8jhBbXZZM1ZY

    Thanks

  2. #2
    robmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North York
    Posts
    482

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    You'll have to connect that beeper through a pair of diodes. 1N4004 power diodes will work well.
    - right signal live to anode of one diode
    - left signal live to anode of another diode
    - connect cathodes of both diodes together and wire to the live side of the beeper
    - ground the other pin on the beeper

    You can pick up the turn signals feeds either at the bulb itself or at the input to the speedometer unit, which ever is easiest.
    - Robert.
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
    1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

  3. #3

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    You'll have to connect that beeper through a pair of diodes. 1N4004 power diodes will work well.
    - right signal live to anode of one diode
    - left signal live to anode of another diode
    - connect cathodes of both diodes together and wire to the live side of the beeper
    - ground the other pin on the beeper

    You can pick up the turn signals feeds either at the bulb itself or at the input to the speedometer unit, which ever is easiest.
    Thanks man!

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    2016 Suzuki V-Strom 650

  4. #4

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    I donít think you can install that flasher relay on your bike ,, but you can connect a buzzer like robmack said using one like this
    https://www.amazon.ca/3-24V-Electron...s=piezo+buzzer

    If you do have a flasher relay on your bike, just pull it out and install the one you linked to ,, the wiring dia doesnít show a relay and I am guessing the ecm does the control

    This relay does same as you linked to, but flash rate is determined by the lamp wattage https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0778L...ID=61vpR7LXkML
    Last edited by meester_jamie; 06-10-2018 at 11:26 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,170

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    You'll have to connect that beeper through a pair of diodes. 1N4004 power diodes will work well.
    - right signal live to anode of one diode
    - left signal live to anode of another diode
    - connect cathodes of both diodes together and wire to the live side of the beeper
    - ground the other pin on the beeper

    You can pick up the turn signals feeds either at the bulb itself or at the input to the speedometer unit, which ever is easiest.
    Are you sure? That gizmo is a flasher/beeper -- not a beeper. For most cars/bikes just unplug your existing flasher and replace it with the beeper flasher.

    VSTROMs don't use a standard flasher relay, they use a relay module that integrates the flasher circuit and the side stand cutout functions.

    1) Locate the existing flasher relay, its between the battery and gas tank.
    2) Remove the flasher, then remove the receptacle from its holder by wiggling it forward off the mounting tabs.
    3) Remove the 2 flasher circuit wires from the receptacle. Either push the female contact pins out (preferred) or cut the wires at least 1.5" back from the connector. For most DL650's these are the light blue (-) & brown (+) wires. If you're looking at the bottom of the relay, there are 7 pins. They are the right most on the row with 3 pins.

    | | | |

    | - +


    4) Make a 6" pigtail to connect the blue to the (-), and the brown to the (+) on your flasher/beeper. That should be it.

    The devil is in the cut and splice (I hate doing this to a standard wiring harness). Be sure to seal off the blunt ends, you may want to reconnect in the future. Also be sure to solder, heat shrink and use good quality connections for the pigtails.
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 06-10-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

  6. #6

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max527 View Post
    Anyone know how to install this module on a Vstrom 650 2016?

    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M33EX59/..._X8jhBbXZZM1ZY

    Thanks
    I had one of those on my bike. There is only two poles on it, so when I used my turn signals they never actually turned off and on, they just went brighter and darker. It still did its job. The beeper sure comes in handy when you don't have self-cancelling turn signals.

  7. #7

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    Are you sure? That gizmo is a flasher/beeper -- not a beeper. For most cars/bikes just unplug your existing flasher and replace it with the beeper flasher.

    VSTROMs don't use a standard flasher relay, they use a relay module that integrates the flasher circuit and the side stand cutout functions.

    1) Locate the existing flasher relay, its between the battery and gas tank.
    2) Remove the flasher, then remove the receptacle from its holder by wiggling it forward off the mounting tabs.
    3) Remove the 2 flasher circuit wires from the receptacle. Either push the female contact pins out (preferred) or cut the wires at least 1.5" back from the connector. For most DL650's these are the light blue (-) & brown (+) wires. If you're looking at the bottom of the relay, there are 7 pins. They are the right most on the row with 3 pins.

    | | | |

    | - +


    4) Make a 6" pigtail to connect the blue to the (-), and the brown to the (+) on your flasher/beeper. That should be it.

    The devil is in the cut and splice (I hate doing this to a standard wiring harness). Be sure to seal off the blunt ends, you may want to reconnect in the future. Also be sure to solder, heat shrink and use good quality connections for the pigtails.
    Thanks for the info!

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    2016 Suzuki V-Strom 650

  8. #8
    robmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North York
    Posts
    482

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    Are you sure? That gizmo is a flasher/beeper -- not a beeper.
    No, I assumed it was just a beeper. Given it's a 2-pole flasher relay, my idea won't work. It will work if the OP was to use a 12V peizo beeper instead. Just be careful to select one that doesn't draw much current.
    - Robert.
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
    1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,170

    Re: Installing a turn indicator beeper?

    Installing a 12v peizo is even easier -- it should work just by placing it place it in series with the relay, no diodes required.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, DL650XT XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: GSXR1300, M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •