Advice after non collision accident | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice after non collision accident

sicksix

I’m heading north on Allen rd South off Finch. Traffic is mild, and I’m doing the speed limit. A minivan cab is stopped in the live line to make a left into the church that’s there. There is cars reducing speed and approaching being behind the cab about to come to a stop and my lane is flowing smoothly. The car directly behind the cab decided to last minute swerve into half my lane to get around the cab. The car in front of me has a panic and slams on the breaks, which in turn I had to slam on mine...I’ve done dozens of emergency stops but this time my bike just went down. I didn’t bail as I wasn’t close to the car in front of me, but had to break to avoid collision of course.

There is damage to my left fairing and upper cowl, left light broke off, and gear selector bent. Very minimal consindrring what could have been. I’m a bit bruises up, have two scrapes (was atgatt) and my leg is hurting, but I escaped virtually unharmed.

The vehicles continued on their way and didn’t stop. I didn’t get plate numbers. The only saving grace is a home near the accident has cameras and the gentleman offered to take a look and send the footage.

This is is my first accident of any kind and am at odds with what I should do. I’m considering not going to the collision center and not contacting insurance. Fixing the bike myself as it’s just cosmetic. Is this advisable? Or would it be best to go through the process. This occurred last evening and I did not call police to report it. My insurance rates are already too high for my liking and really don’t want to put a claim in if I dont have to.

Isn't it awesome that we have an insurance industry that scares and deters people from filing legitimate claims, even in the event of an accident?

The last thing one should be thinking about is "oh lord this will completely rape my premiums for the next few years" and instead go to get checked out at the hospital, and maybe have the bike looked over once by a decent mechanic.

Instead we'd rather not deal with the people whom we're paying for a service that we'd rather not take, because we get penalized for taking services we pay extortionist rates for.

Last edited:
What's your deductible and is your bike covered for All perils, otherwise your insurance might not even cover a single vehicle upset.
... make sure there is no damage to the casting or oil seal where the shift lever exits the transmission, make sure it still shifts properly.

Sometimes it is technically to your advantage to take a piece of the other guys car on your way down.

Last edited:
My deductible is $300. I have full coverage. I’ll have to check but I bent the selector back and rode it home with seemingly no problems.

Last edited:
Isn't it awesome that we have an insurance industry that scares and deters people from filing legitimate claims, even in the event of an accident?

The last thing one should be thinking about is "oh lord this will completely rape my premiums for the next few years" and instead go to get checked out at the hospital, and maybe have the bike looked over once by a decent mechanic.

Instead we'd rather not deal with the people whom we're paying for a service that we'd rather not take, because we get penalized for taking services we pay extortionist rates for.

Truer words where never spoken. Well said.

From an insurance and police perspective, they will both tell you you were following the car in front of you too closely if you couldn't stop in time. It would be considered an at-fault claim.

From an insurance and police perspective, they will both tell you you were following the car in front of you too closely if you couldn't stop in time. It would be considered an at-fault claim.

I would assume as much, Thank you for your insight.

well.... this is an at fault accident on the original poster. don't see why anyone would get off scott free from their insurance..

bite the bullet, no collision report - be grateful, don't say squat to your insurance company. pay out of your pocket. happy to hear poster was not seriously hurt.

well.... this is an at fault accident on the original poster. don't see why anyone would get off scott free from their insurance..

bite the bullet, no collision report - be grateful, don't say squat to your insurance company. pay out of your pocket. happy to hear poster was not seriously hurt.

yep, they can charge you for the accident even with no claim
if they find out

many years ago I had a car window smashed and radio stolen
initially looked at a comprehensive claim
turned out to be better to just pay myself
insurance company still dinged me for it at renewal time
I had become a higher risk.....fooking racket

Was this your only comp claim and were you sent a closing not claiming letter by your insurance company.

1) a single comp claim doesn't affect your rate. As a matter of fact I dont think comp claims affect rates, period.

2) most companies would set this up as an inquiry on their system, not an actual claim.

Something else most likely raised your rates.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
this was 20 + years ago
it was not something else
the loss triggered a rate increase
even though it was myself that paid the loss

Well unless things have changed in 20 years I don't see how a non rateable claim affected your premiums.

Eek why are you so defensive?

Premiums rise and drop after most renewals. Some companies file to have their premiums raise by a certain percentage but they must wait a certain amount of time before doing this.

My guess is your premiums rose that particular year, you noticed a comp claim on your record and for the past 20 years you've correlated the two without ever thinking twice.

It's okay, it happens.

Yup....

To keep insurance affordable reserve it for catastrophic loss and use a high deductible if you bother with comprehensive.

This is not to condone the insurance industry in Ontario which sucks but in this case the OP would be crazy to report.

Back
Top Bottom