Getting passed by another motorcycle in my lane | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting passed by another motorcycle in my lane

ak4710

Ok, what is up with riders passing another rider in same lane? It happened to me on Sheppard Ave. today near Weston.

We're stopped in gridlock traffic so we aren't going anywhere. Guy on a sport bike pulls up right next to me in my lane. I thought he wanted to tell me something, but nope. Traffic starts creeping forward so, since I was originally ahead of this guy, I pull ahead. Next thing, buddy is scorching up my side to claim that elusive spot 10' in front of me. WTF? Good thing I wasn't thinking of moving to the other track in my lane or he would have clipped me from behind. There was absolutely no point to this as the line was only moving 3 or 4 car lengths at a time.

A similar thing happened to me on the 401 where I was passed in my lane by a guy on a sport bike moving about 30 kmh faster than me (I as already doing 110 kph. Fracking dangerous as hell and startled the **** out of me.

Finally, I was entering a controlled parking lot waiting for the gate to rise. As soon it opens, zoom. A rider squeezes past me just as I am rolling off the line.

Riders, sort yourselves out. This kind of behaviour is complete asshattery and is get one of us killed.

Did he/she at least go by on the left side? I don't have a problem with this as long as the lead rider indicates you can go by. Not the best way to pass but sometimes it's safer or easier than passing in lieu of using the on-coming lane... I would never pass in the same lane unless the other rider is OK with it. It's just common courtesy. If the lead rider does not signal to pass then I definitely wait for a proper (legal?) passing opportunity.

****** rider etiquette IMO. Guy should be embarrassed for being such an ***.

Sounds like you see a lot of very inexperienced riders, try not to run them over too badly.

Bro, it's cause you're not fast enough bro. Than 10' gain is gonna make me 10x faster, bro.

I think the worst is when people lane split but... inefficiently. Like so inefficiently that when traffic clears, you still catch up to them.

"why bother!?"

Go ride in Italy for a change in perspective.

I was stuck in a line of traffic yesterday, soooo wishing that I could ride up the centerline ahead of the cars, as is common practice over there ...

Noobs recklessly splitting and flying past other motorcyclists in their own lanes...

Happens almost every other day when I ride to work, most never indicate, insist on hard start/stops while cutting in front of cars in traffic, and have terrible balance when coming to a stop.

I find it's pretty common in the start of the season. It usually sorts itself out by the end of the season. "I had to lay her down"

I do this, but, here is the caveat; I communicate with the other rider so they know and are aware of what I am doing. Often times when I communicate to the other rider that I want to pass them, the other rider typically gestures me to proceed past, with the side I am to pass on rather obvious so nobody is taken off guard. Sure it takes a few seconds longer then simply passing another rider, but it is a requirement and a curtesy to the other rider and their safety margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should've smacked his mirror off and raced away, lol

I think most of us had it happen to them.
Funny story.
I went past a slower rider (He was doing about 65 in an 80 area. when safe to do, zipped passed him, in the correct line. He got mad at me and then went passed me on my inside lane. He was a BIG fella. Got next to him at the lights and gave him Sheet. Funny thing was he was Big and I am not as big as an Oaf. Oh well, guess you had to be there.
My problem is I have nothing to prove and when I am right I am right. Never enough to be Dead right.

One of my biggest pet-peeves! Specially in higher speeds. My second year of riding, this idiot passed me in my own lane on a ramp at about 130-140kms. Not sure if he thought it was a race or maybe we were on track but the moron just flew by in my lane! All squid of course
It's NEVER ok to pass another bike in the same lane unless the guy in front waves you to pass. I strictly enforce thins whenever i lead a group ride and if there are any new riders, i always make a point about this. If you're behind someone, your front tire should never come in the same line and the guy in the front's rear tire. Unless youre crawling to a stop at a light at low speed.

Yeah. A few years back, I had a sport bike pass me in my lane doing well over 200 kmh . I was only doing 120 ish being on a fully bagged cruiser in the right most lane of the express. Happened at 1 am in the morning when the highway was empty. On the 401 near Markham road... The speed difference would of cut my bike and myself in half, but I guess the other rider didn’t care...

Last edited:
Yeah. A few years back, I had a sport bike pass me in my lane doing well over 200 kmh . I was only doing 120 ish being on a fully bagged cruiser in the right most lane of the express. Happened at 1 am in the morning when the highway was empty. On the 401 near Markham road... The speed difference would of cut my bike and myself in half, but I guess the other rider didn’t care...

Seems like anytime you're on the 401 past maybe midnight you will get passed by a bike doing 200+ every time. Always crazy just how fast that looks. Usually hear it coming and then they are gone.

Didn’t even hear them coming over my pipes and wind noise. Just the noise after they blow by you usually.

Not very safe, especially if you're using hand signals for a left turn and happen to catch their front brake on their way by.

In most cases you only take up like 2 feet, don't be a hog.

Sure, but I'm entitled to two feet anywhere in my lane, you and all the other vehicles don't know which two feet I want, so back off, and pass properly.

Sure, but I'm entitled to two feet anywhere in my lane, you and all the other vehicles don't know which two feet I want, so back off, and pass properly.

Keep your blocking position and you'll be safe bro.

In most cases you only take up like 2 feet, don't be a hog.

Sure, and when there's a pothole or some crap on the road and I suddenly need that 2 feet to potentially avoid going over my handlebars, I want it to be there, I don't want to have to worry that some impatient self absorbed douchenozzle on another bike feels the need to pass me in that space.

Use the other bloody lane like you're supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom