Key West | GTAMotorcycle.com

Key West

yarddawg

I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale, renting a bike, and heading to the keys with my filly in August. Any info on where to stay or places to stop would be appreciated.

Cheers!!!!

I'm flying to Fort Lauderdale, renting a bike, and heading to the keys with my filly in August. Any info on where to stay or places to stop would be appreciated

Hotel accomodation is sparce as the various communities along the Keys are small due to there being virtually no land mass. Not sure of availability in August but a day in the Keys should be enough...shoot down to Key West, then come out again if you can't actually find accomodation. The experience riding through the first Key is awesome since it is so different, but as each Key is a repeat of the last one, it's basically a highway on water and the experience wears a bit thin. Key West has some historic stuff like Ernest Hemingway's house.

If you dive or deep-sea fish that is a different story, you want to stay longer. But even then John Pennecamp Coral Reef State Park (dive park and boat tours) is booked 6 months ahead of time for some activities like camping.

Stayed at Southwinds Motel in Key West a few years ago with the Family, old retro one floor motel, but nice and clean. Close enough to Duval street, which is the main strip.

Key west is cool, so different than anywhere else, i found the best way to get around was renting a scooter(readily available).

TBH i'd rent a convertible to drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key West.

I have spent many winters down there. There are some things to take into account. First the bike riding experience is not great, the road, and there is only one, to KeyWest is relatively straight and somewhat slow. But if you are cool with that then great. The summer is the rainy season, so it will most likely rain some part of most days, like most tropical places. There are many places to stay in KeyWest, but generally speaking they aren’t cheap. There really isn’t a Super Eight or similar option, but you can do all kinds of research on the Internet before you go. Unfortunately the area around Big Pine Key was severely damaged by Hurricane Irma and the dive shops which would operate trips out to Looe Key are for the most part still closed or partially operational. KeyWest wasn’t as impacted so it is essentially back to normal, so the bars and restaurants are all operating. It’s definitely worth visiting, if you go, hit up the Tiki bar at the Galleon resort, near the “historic” seaport, 2 for 1 drinks from 5 to 7, and a great view.

Appreciate the input, thanks everyone! The filly would like the convertible, she could pack more ****....lol

Appreciate the input, thanks everyone! The filly would like the convertible, she could pack more ****....lol

One of the best meals I've ever had was at this place in key west. Enjoy!

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...lue_Heaven-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

If you take a convertible. Don't stop for lunch in South Beach Miami and expect to have the loose belongings in your trunk still there when you get back. Parked on a busy street mid day, and the suit cases were wedged in and still there. Carry on bags siting on top were stolen. I friggen hate Miami!

Back
Top Bottom