Caught on cam: Biker nearly struck by SUV | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caught on cam: Biker nearly struck by SUV

My take on the video. At 1 second the bike is in the left lane, left tire track and behind the car. Neither a mirror or blindspot check would likely see him. After the car puts its turn signal on, the biker accelerates to beside the car, still in the left tire track. Car might be able to see him in the mirror, but not with a blindspot, and the driver would most likely be doing the latter at this time. The bike isn't passing and can't pass the car, because of the left lane bandit truck. You'll note that neither the dashcam car or the white car in the passing lane, get closer to the issue area. There are mistakes all around, but most appear to be on the biker from my point of view.

Driver:

Made an unsafe lane change, failing to signal in advance. May not have shoulder checked

Rider:

Bad riding habits

IMO following the pickup to closely. He wouldn't have been able to react to an obstacle in front of the P/U. May have been focusing on how to get around the P/U

Poor lane discipline, wandering in lane and not in blocking position. Moves left just before SUV does. Did the SUV driver take that as a signal they were being given the go ahead to use the left lane?

Riding in blind spot.

I was taught to ride assertively, not aggressively.

Where was this?

Watch the video again. Like most drivers, this one thinks that a blinker gives right of way, but it doesn’t. It indicates what you want to do. The driver puts on the blinker and immediately moves over. No hesitation at all.

Mirror, blind spot, blinker, blind spot, move when safe to do so. Not blinker while simultaneously changing lanes.

This SUV driver is a bad driver. Period. Gives no f***s at all. I’m not saying how the biker rides or reacts are correct, but the driver in the SUV is not in the right. But right of way doesn’t mean sh*t when you’re on a bike.

This is guy is lucky it was only an SUV and not a Prius.

Why you don’t smash someone’s mirror off.

What happened before the video

Prime example of what happens when you smash someone's mirror and the driver doesn't just take it.

Funny how the rider that got knocked off was giving him the "wtf?" hands after being hit.

Yes, it could have been much worse. He could have potentially lost his life depending on how he was hit, but this never would have happened if they just chalked it up to the guy being an idiotic aggressive driver and went along their merry way.

Guess no one learned anything from the Ride of the Century a couple years ago...

Last edited:
Why didn't the rider hit the brakes and get away from the SUV? Staying close to a driver who just displayed poor judgement so you can display some of your own? Teaching someone a lesson never works if you're a dolt to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom